Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Aftermarket exhaust

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Iceburg7

Aftermarket exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 11:14 am

I have a 2010 wr and have been thinking about adding a new exhaust , but I don't really want to add a programmer . Do you have to a do a programmer ? Also what recommended exhaust?

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 am

Iceburg7 wrote:
I have a 2010 wr and have been thinking about adding a new exhaust , but I don't really want to add a programmer . Do you have to a do a  programmer ? Also what recommended exhaust?

Talk about opening up a can of worms! LOL

Do you have to add a programmer - NO. I don't run one with the FMF Q4 that I have on the bike now and once the bike is warmed up it runs fine.

Will a Programmer make the bike run better with an Exhaust - YES. Assuming it is properly setup which in my mind means going to a dyno and having them tune the system.

Will a Programmer make the bike run worse - YES, It can. I first started out with the FMF Fuel Programmer and while the bike got better throttle response, I would periodically suffer from engine cut out's due to the mixture being too rich at near full throttle applications. Tried the games to be played but never could completely resolve the issue so I went with a PCV and spent some money on a Dyno Tune. Kept the throttle response but my mpg dropped about 10% which sort of makes sense. Generally speaking to make more power you need to burn more fuel.

After my tuning experiments I opted to go back to a modified stock muffler (Cat removed) with EXUP and no programmer. Probably spent the last 3 years riding the bike that way and for some of the tight riding it was was a pretty nice set up.

Then recently I saw a sale on the new Q4 Hex (suppose to be quieter than the original Q4) so I gave it a shot. So I pulled my modified exhaust off and went installed the Q4 Hex. Nice sound to it but I lost some of the low throttle grunt I use to get with the EXUP - I have this hill on my property that I could put the bike in 1st gear and tractor up without using the clutch and I can't do that now. But I may play with the CO settings a little and possibly put my PCV back on for a better comparison.

I am sure you will get all sorts of opinions on your question and they will all be right to some degree. I worked with some guys for a major automotive manufacturer that did engine calibrations. The biggest issue they faced is that gasoline is like a witches brew - you are never sure how it will react and what is in it. Many times they would have a good calibration for a vehicle out east and then when the vehicle was ran with fuel from the West coast it would not run as well and they would have to modify the calibration. They spent many hours calibrating engines for different fuel mixtures to find a calibration that would run decent across the different formulations.

I have even seen differences between the bikes themselves. My bike runs pretty good on the a Q4 with no programmer but my riding buddy's WRR does not and he has a FMF programmer installed (and he gets the occasional flame out as well - been through all the setting changes to correct but in the end has learned to live with it).

At the end of the day it is all how you ride and where you are riding. You will just need to play around and see what works best for you.

On another note, if I had to do it all over again, I would not touch the motor or exhaust in the beginning. For me that was the least amount of improvement for $$ spent. Changing the sprockets, tires, and seat paid a much better return for me. Next was the GoRace Suspension mods - it really transformed the bike on the trails.

However, it's your bike and your money so do what you want to do.... that is part of the fun with these machines.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Your right rsteiger I am running a modified stock exhaust but with FmF tuner ( with that cutout glitch) and 290 athena kit. Best mod. so far are tires, grips, bars, hand guards, seat and suspension springs setup for your weight valving is pretty good stock.
Back to top Go down
Iceburg7

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick to stock and focus on suspension for now
Back to top Go down
PeteJE

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust EmptyMon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Only engine change I did so far was an EJK tuner and took airbox door off and changed to NoToil cageless air filter. I bought the fuel controller as an early investment, thinking later I’d have it for exhaust changes.... but now I think I am done.

The EJK did improve butt dyno / throttle feel a lot all across operation (as did the airbox door removal). It is also fun to play wiht micro changes in the settings and get to feel it. The bike is not as lean as I read on internet, I believe. Stock, with only small intake air change requires very little additive fuel in the phases available, but, the response is more immediate, smooth, and has lost some of the major “holes” or pauses in the throttle response that I felt when totally stock. It just feels like a more performance machine than originally.... not more powerfull, but quicker on the draw en total.

After reading rsteiger and other similar posts, I think gains from the exhasut system would be not worth it. I have a 13/48 set up, can top speed at just about 90, cruise easily at 80, feels great in urban environment and better off road in this gearing. If I stay where I am with performance mods (gearing, intake door off, ejk), should I bother with AIS removal / further airbox mods (ultimate airbox mod)?? And I beieve, for sure, I should leave the EXUP alone in this stock exhaust config? I am loving this bike!
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust EmptyTue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 am

PeteJE wrote:
Only engine change I did so far was an EJK tuner and took airbox door off and changed to NoToil cageless air filter.  I bought the fuel controller as an early investment, thinking later I’d have it for exhaust changes.... but now I think I am done.  

The EJK did improve butt dyno / throttle feel a lot all across operation (as did the airbox door removal).  It is also fun to play wiht micro changes in the settings and get to feel it.  The bike is not as lean as I read on internet, I believe.  Stock, with only small intake air change requires very little additive fuel in the phases available, but, the response is more immediate, smooth, and has lost some of the major “holes” or pauses in the throttle response that I felt when totally stock.  It just feels like a more performance machine than originally.... not more powerfull, but quicker on the draw en total.

After reading rsteiger and other similar posts, I think gains from the exhasut system would be not worth it.  I have a 13/48 set up, can top speed at just about 90, cruise easily at 80, feels great in urban environment and better off road in this gearing.  If I stay where I am with performance mods (gearing, intake door off, ejk), should I bother with AIS removal  / further airbox mods (ultimate airbox mod)??  And I beieve, for sure, I should leave the EXUP alone in this stock exhaust config?     I am loving this bike!  

This is what makes these forums so awesome. Lots of options/opinions that any biker can choose from for what suits them. It's like having a lab do the testing before I spend money on what I may or may not need or benefit from. I definitely plan to look into the EJK because your experiences before you installed match mine, just a few places I'm not thrilled with throttle response.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket exhaust   Aftermarket exhaust Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket exhaust
Page 1 of 1