Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?

Go down 
+2
DPete
jamiemm18
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jamiemm18

Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

Hi, the bars on my 2016 wr250r are bent and need replacement. The oem bars are $42 but are on backorder and I’d rather not wait. Is it a good idea to go with aftermarket bars? I’d like them To be in the same ballpark for price but the biggest concern is that I want everything stock to just bolt right on - electronics, mirrors, clutch perch, brake reservoir, grips, etc since I’m replacing all of that. Do you know if any good bolt-on options that are compatible with everything stock? And I’m 6’ 1” , should I get bar risers or leave as-is? Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 am

I have OEM bars hanging on the wall, never ridden. I changed to 1 1/8 protapers when new which is what you should do. Cheap bars are just that (cheap) you can also get better bars in 7/8. I had to drill a small hole for the throttle assembly as it has a little tang that fits into the bars, at least mine does 2013 though. If you really want stock bars PM me.
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I recently installed the Tusk Chub 1 1/8” bars from Rocky Mountain atv. I haven’t laid the bike down since so I can’t comment on the durability, but they’re about the cheapest aftermarket option out there. You’ll need the big bar clamp kit, but everything else bolts up to it. I did the CR high bend, and it feels the same as stock. It seems to have less vibes through the handle bar at highway speed, so that’s a plus.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks. Gotta tell you guys those stock bars are soft and weak as butter. I’m waiting for a new set on backorder so I decided to bend the ones I have back into shape. I could almost do it by hand and I am not a beast (170 lbs). I could even bend the crossbar by whacking it with my fist. I used a flathead screw driver to bend everything back - no heat, nothing. They are soft. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a wr with bent bars... it doesn’t necessarily mean the bike went down hard. Just FYI.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 11:12 pm

jamiemm18 wrote:
Do you know if any good bolt-on options that are compatible with everything stock? And I’m 6’ 1” , should I get bar risers or leave as-is? Thanks!!!

Any 7/8" bar will accommodate all the existing controls on the stock bar. The same is true for 1 1/8" bars, but you will need an adapter to bolt it on to the existing clamp.

On modern bikes bars should be as low as possible, so I do not like any bar risers.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks. Curious, why should they be as low as possible? I’ve seen people write that bar risers are one of the necessary upgrades to the wr but I’m 6’1” and feel comfortable as - is
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 4:35 am

jamiemm18 wrote:
Thanks. Curious, why should they be as low as possible?

The modern dirt bike riding position dictates that your arms be inline with the forks in order to minimise the forces transmitted to your arms, thus avoiding the dreaded arm pump. In order to achieve this positioning, saddles have moved upwards and forwards, bringing the rider as close and as high as possible relative to the handlebars.

If you look at MX races nowadays, you will see that when the riders are off the seat, they are hunched over the bars, which has the additional benefit of lowering the CG.

With that kind of positioning the rider does not have much leverage on the bars, which is fine because you are supposed to control the bike with your waist, not your arms.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 6:57 am

Good stuff, thanks
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 10:47 am

I'm 6' 1" and think risers are great, wouldn't be without them. No arm pump, no control issues sitting or standing. I stand a ton on both my WR250F and WR250R. Without risers I have to hunch over, feel much less in control and get tired fast. I don't look to MX for how to set up a dual sport bike, I look for reasonable trade-offs that give me the overall best feel and control. Point being, try different things, all that matters is that it works for you.

BenWRR likes this post

Back to top Go down
crash_bandicoot

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

While that may all be true about modern dirt bikes, they are still designed for folks around 5'6" tall.

I am 6'3", so risers are necessary for decent control for riding while standing when offroad. Been using Rox risers as they articulate well, and can allow for the rider geometry you are talking about without having to hunch too far.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm

crash_bandicoot wrote:
While that may all be true about modern dirt bikes, they are still designed for folks around 5'6" tall.

Humans are built proportionately: taller people have longer arms too, so if a 5'6" individual does not need risers, then a 6'3" individual should not need risers either.

In other words, risers have nothing to do with rider height, they are simply a personal preference.
Back to top Go down
crash_bandicoot

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 pm

johnkol wrote:

Humans are built proportionately: taller people have longer arms too, so if a 5'6" individual does not need risers, then a 6'3" individual should not need risers either.

In other words, risers have nothing to do with rider height, they are simply a personal preference.

That theory only works if the entire bike scales proportionately with the scale percentage of the larger person riding it.

Taller riders need more cockpit room; taller seats, taller bars, and lower pegs all help to a point.

A 6'3" rider is in the wrong riding position with stock height bars. Ask any taller rider how that feels. It is hunched over, weight too far forward, too much weight on the wrists/bars, and just plain awkward. Bar risers assist in this but are not a panacea cure for the fact that most DB's are too small in every aspect.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 am

crash_bandicoot wrote:
johnkol wrote:

That theory only works if the entire bike scales proportionately with the scale percentage of the larger person riding it.

Taller riders need more cockpit room; taller seats, taller bars, and lower pegs all help to a point.

A 6'3" rider is in the wrong riding position with stock height bars. Ask any taller rider how that feels. It is hunched over, weight too far forward, too much weight on the wrists/bars, and just plain awkward. Bar risers assist in this but are not a panacea cure for the fact that most DB's are too small in every aspect.
This is correct, I'm 6'3"
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 1:27 am

crash_bandicoot wrote:
Taller riders need more cockpit room

No, why would you think that? Humans are pretty flexible, they can be comfortable at multiple sitting angles.

For instance, a 5'6" person on the WRR has a Hip Angle of 107 degrees, and a Knee Angle of 98 degrees. The same person on a CBR has a Hip Angle of 54 degrees, and a Knee Angle of 78 degrees (reflecting the typical sportbike crouching position).

I happen to be 5'6", and have a CBR. I have done 12-hour days riding both the WRR and the CBR without any discomfort whatsoever.

A 6'3" person on the WRR sitting at the exact same position as the 5'6" person, would have a Hip Angle of 98 degrees, and a Knee Angle of 84 degrees. If you are claiming that those angles are too extreme, then tall people would never be able to ride any sportbike.

Taller riders therefore do not *need* more cockpit room; they simply sit at the bike with different joint angles.

BTW, you can play around with different bikes and rider characteristics at the Motorcycle Ergonomics site.
Back to top Go down
crash_bandicoot

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 1:48 pm

"Why would I think that?"

I ride a variety of bikes: DB's, DS's, an ADV bike, 600cc sportbike.

Cockpit room is quite a factor, and it is for many riders. If it's not a factor for you, then great. Consider yourself lucky and are able to also save the $ for such modifications.

Also, we are talking about bar risers for those who stand. A 6'3" rider's pelvis/hips are higher than a 5'6" rider's. Hence, the hunch factor for a taller rider. Here's a real world example that makes bar risers a "need": I have an XR650L. They are characteristically known as having a cramped cockpit. Here's a down and dirty google search for that realization by many: https://www.google.com/search?q=xr650l+cramped&oq=xr650l+cramped&aqs=chrome..69i57.7743j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If I sit on the bike, it is still relatively comfortable, but I sense the seat/peg lack of room, and the bars are lower than my other DB's, but not terrible. Until I stand when riding, making it a hunched over, weight forward, not in the attack position, awkward riding position. A set of Rox risers later, and all that was cured. I can stand at length, and be in a much better riding position whether on road or on a trail. Obstacles are easier, and the bike/rider is in much better control. I recently swapped the Rox risers to the WR, and it made the same improvements.

By your statements, I should be able to cruise coast to coast on my CRF50, without discomfort. Fact is, that bikes come in an array of sizes, and an array of riders of varying physical dimensions ride them. Many of these riders make personal physical modifications to the bikes for better control and better comfort/endurance. To them, it is a "need", not unnecessary esoterica.

One size does not fit all.

Do what you want with your bikes. Others should do the same. But to argue that anyone who does modify for better control and/or better comfort/endurance via bar risers, etc. is disingenuous and muddying the waters for those seeking a resolution that works inexpensively for multitudes of riders.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 am

crash_bandicoot wrote:
If I sit on the bike, it is still relatively comfortable

You probably did not realise this while putting together your response, but by describing how *you* fit on the bike, you are proving my point: that all these modifications are a personal preference, and no one *needs* to change anything by default. You *chose* to put risers because it makes riding more comfortable for *you*.
Back to top Go down
crash_bandicoot

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 9:05 am

johnkol wrote:
crash_bandicoot wrote:
If I sit on the bike, it is still relatively comfortable

You probably did not realise this while putting together your response, but by describing how *you* fit on the bike, you are proving my point: that all these modifications are a personal preference, and no one *needs* to change anything by default. You *chose* to put risers because it makes riding more comfortable for *you*.

Man, you like to argue, lol. Your're also cherry-picking one sentence fragment and extrapolating it to be an attempt at evidence that you are correct. Anyone else who reads the whole post will understand the need for some to add bar risers.

I carefully crafted the response for the others who may need this modification.

The last thing I want to do is prove your point as it is hard to tell what it is. That risers are a choice? Everyone knows that. Owning a bike is a choice too. Risers are a choice for those who need them.

This just in! Water is, indeed, wet! Film at 11:00. Lol...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?   Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket bars that everything bolts right up to?
Page 1 of 1