Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kabulpostie

Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force Empty
PostSubject: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Hey There,
I have been commuting a short way on my bike for a while with no issues. Yesterday took it out on the freeway for the first time in a while. While braking the lever almost came back to my fingers. Up until now the lever did not move nearly that far to get full braking force. Is this because I was going faster and it takes more force or is it an indication of another issue? Scared the crap out of me!
Back to top Go down
jsneeb

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I mean harder breaking is normal when you are going higher speed. That said though my lever doesn't come back to the hand grip ever.

Check your brake fluid level and check the caliper for evidence of any leaks.

Low level or a leak would result in a loss of brake pressure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyThu May 03, 2018 4:08 pm

That happened to my bike (search old posts). Turned out that my brake pads had got contaminated by leaking fork oil. Even though I cleaned and sanded them, I ended up needing new pads.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyFri May 04, 2018 12:52 am

If previous suggestions do not resolve the problem, the master cylinder could be leaking internally, so you would need to disassemble it and rebuild it.

How many miles on the bike?
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyFri May 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks for the input all. Brake fluid levels are good, I don't see any leaking anywhere. I am at about 15,000 miles so maybe time for a brake rebuild?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyFri May 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Try bleeding in some fresh DOT 4 brake fluid if you've not done it.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyFri May 04, 2018 8:55 pm

kabulpostie wrote:
Thanks for the input all. Brake fluid levels are good, I don't see any leaking anywhere. I am at about 15,000 miles so maybe time for a brake rebuild?

15k miles are not enough to explain a damaged brake cylinder, but if the master cylinder is leaking there won't be any external signs of the leak.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 pm

johnkol wrote:
If previous suggestions do not resolve the problem, the master cylinder could be leaking internally, so you would need to disassemble it and rebuild it.

How many miles on the bike?

Thanks for this suggestion. I bled the breaks, changed fluid and rebuilt the master cylinder (a much simpler process than I imagined, but it sound very cool and technical so now I bring it up whenever I can), fixed the problem and I was surprised how much better the braking was, guess I'd been dealing with crap brake feel for a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force   Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force Empty

Back to top Go down

Front Brake suddenly requires lot more force
Page 1 of 1