Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Coil pack won’t slide back on

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ugfish

Coil pack won’t slide back on Empty
PostSubject: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptySat May 26, 2018 10:05 am

Changing spark plug and the coil pack won’t slide back on. Any ideas? Does it take a lot of force to get it back in?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptySat May 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Put some dielectric grease on the boot, and twist the coil pack as you press it on. It should not take too much force to push it on; it definitely takes more force to pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Ugfish

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptySat May 26, 2018 1:24 pm

I got it to seat and the bike starts, runs, and even tips over just fine. It seems like there is about 1/4in sticking out. Not sure if it was all the way flush before, should I try to get it in further?
Back to top Go down
Ugfish

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptySat May 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Coil pack won’t slide back on 08fdb610
Coil pack won’t slide back on E6f7ce10
Coil pack won’t slide back on 9ab87b10
Back to top Go down
Ugfish

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptySat May 26, 2018 1:29 pm

I uploaded some photos for reference. You can see those small ridges sticking out. They won’t go in any further.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptySun May 27, 2018 1:05 am

Yes, you need to push it further in, it is supposed to sit flush.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptyTue May 29, 2018 9:09 pm

I believe the spark plug itself should not have the little knob that screws on the top. When you install it you should only be going to the threads on the top of the plug.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptyTue May 29, 2018 9:23 pm

rsteiger wrote:
I believe the spark plug itself should not have the little knob that screws on the top.  When you install it you should only be going to the threads on the top of the plug.

Good point, but the small form factor spark plugs that all modern bikes use do not even come with that knob/adaptor.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptyTue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm

johnkol wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
I believe the spark plug itself should not have the little knob that screws on the top.  When you install it you should only be going to the threads on the top of the plug.

Good point, but the small form factor spark plugs that all modern bikes use do not even come with that knob/adaptor.

Not entirely true... depends on the plug you order. The one I ordered for my WRR had the top packaged lose inside the case. My Beta had it installed and I had to remove it.
Back to top Go down
Ugfish

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptyTue May 29, 2018 10:08 pm

The solution was removing the terminal nut on the spark plug. Thanks for all the help.

This was my first time doing a spark plug swap and was told it’s mostly plug and play. Service manual wasn’t much help either.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:19 am

Where did you buy the spark plug from?
What brand of spark plug?
What spark plug number?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack won’t slide back on   Coil pack won’t slide back on Empty

Back to top Go down

Coil pack won’t slide back on
Page 1 of 1