Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Click click sound no start, then no power

Go down 
+3
on2wheels52
csmart
JusTheUsual
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JusTheUsual

Click click sound no start, then no power Empty
PostSubject: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 pm

I go to start it...no power. Couple more time trying to start, power comes on then real fast click click sound twice. Whne it made click click sound all power would be lost again. After couple mins of no power, I pull clutch in and I have power. Then try to start it, click click and no power, at all. Literally like no battery was in bike. My time reset but odometer didn't. it read right mileage. I took off sate and side covers. I traced the click click sound to around the 2 fuses and I guess relays. It didn't come from the ecu/computer or whatever you call that big box. Sounds came from behind battery by the 2 fuses and I guess relays. So I tapped around with my finger all around that area, and bike started up again. Shut it off and it did it again. Tapped around more...and haven't had a problem since. I was on vacation for a few days and no problems after all that. Now im back from vacation im trying to think about it all, and wonder if its a known problem. Bike is only a year old
Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 am

first thing i would try is check battery and connections then jumpstart it. sounds like dead battery to me.
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm with cs, eliminate the battery as a source of the problem first.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 pm

99percent sure its not the battery. No power to full power a few times then it doesn't happen since a week ago when it happened a few times in a hour. Plus why would pulling in the clutch lever all of a sudden give it power. I also never tapped around the battery. Tapped around the fuses and relay. I asked someone else and they think its a relay
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 am

My guess is the battery is not working properly (not holding sufficient charge), or a loose connection with the wires that connect to the battery or the starter relay (the thing making the click-click noise).

If the battery can't supply enough electrical power to that starter relay, you will hear that click-click noise.
No matter how good you think your battery is right now, have a motorcycle service department at your local Yamaha dealer load test your battery to determine it's condition.
Doing that and checking the tightness of the battery wire connections are the first things I'd do.

Just be sure to do this:

When you solve the problem, report back in this thread so we can learn about what happened.
Most guys fall off the edge of the Earth and we never learn what the problem was and how it was solved.
Tends to hinder people from making suggestions in the future.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

I'm 99% sure it's the battery until you're 100% sure you've tested it with a charger and voltage meter against Yamaha specs.

1) Wait 30 minutes or more after the engine stops.

2) Disconnect the positive battery terminal.

3) Measure voltage across the battery terminals.

4) A fully charged battery should read 12.8 volts or higher.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 3:48 am

Sorry guys, been so busy working. Rode couple times and no problems still since that day couple weeks ago. I might try some stuff this weekend or get it to the dealership next week
Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 8:39 am

Im interested in what you find out, Id also be looking for a bad ground. Those can produce some crazy issues also.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:56 pm

13volts when off, 14volts when running. I just checked it with my trustworthy reader. I just checked it a few times. The other day it was hard to start, it was barely running while still holding in starter button and tried twisting throttle to get the revs up, like it was only idling a few hundred to 500rpms, then it idled correctly. But it hasn't done what I described since the start of thread/topic.
Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 am

Maybe a starter thats dragging and not spinning fast enough or at all. If its stuck maybe that is the clicking noise.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Guess what just happened again, of course as I was leaving from work....and like a month after it did it....

Pounded on side of bike and power would come back on but wouldn't start because power went out again. Did it about 5 times, last time I pulled in clutch and front brake and shook bike as I hit starter button and it started...
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptySun Aug 26, 2018 4:39 am

Are the battery terminals nice and tight? The same for the wires that go to the starter relay and starter motor.
Back to top Go down
JusTheUsual

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 8:36 pm

I went through everything and the battery terminals didn't seem 100percent tight when I used screwdriver to tighten them to see if it was them. Hopefully that helps. But I don't see how those could of came loose
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power EmptyTue Aug 28, 2018 9:36 am

At the top of this sub forum there is a Sticky called something like "Bike won't Start, Try This"

Check that thread out. If I remember right there is a connector up around the radiator that can come loose at times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Click click sound no start, then no power   Click click sound no start, then no power Empty

Back to top Go down

Click click sound no start, then no power
Page 1 of 1