Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trail map tracking app

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Blooper

Trail map tracking app Empty
PostSubject: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 am

Wondering what apps people are using to track your trail riding as well as for a gps and maps? I’d like to be able to trace our trail rides and be able to save them to use another time.

Last edited by Blooper on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Blooper wrote:
Wondering what apps people are using to track your trail riding as well as for a gps and maps? I’d like to be able to trace our trail rides and be able to save them to use another time.

I like US Topo Maps Pro for my Android phone.  I can upload and cache maps while online, then use the phone and maps in the backcountry with the phone in airplane mode.  After rides I can save/store my tracks and/or export them to Google Earth etc.

"Tripmaster" runtime dashboard:
Trail map tracking app Map0410

Topographical maps show where I am, and where I've ridden:
Trail map tracking app Map0111

The app can "replay" the ride, so you can follow you progress and elevationlater on the same map:
Trail map tracking app Map0310

Options for many map types:
Trail map tracking app Map0510

Main app menu:
Trail map tracking app Map0210

Export to Google Earth:
Trail map tracking app Google10
Back to top Go down
Blooper

PostSubject: Re: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm

That looks like exactly what I want. I’m trying out Topo Canada as well and looks pretty decent.
Back to top Go down
dwollie

PostSubject: Re: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 am

I use Oruxmaps to track my rides, and have no complaints with this app.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Blooper wrote:

This is good timing...

So I have started to use an app called Strava to track my walks and bicycle rides. Pretty cool app that shares you info with others and helps you to find some interesting bicycle routes.

So I introduced the app to my gf, who is a big time cyclist, and she loved it. Only issue was it was a pain in the butt to carry the phone on her rides. So for her birthday I bought her a Garmin watch which tracks her while she is riding and when she gets back home it uploads the data to a Garmin app and Strava on her phone. The Garmin watch is pretty similar to an iWatch but a heck of a lot less expensive.

So far it has been working great for her. I am thinking about picking up one and maybe using it on some of my rides when I am out with a group. I have a Garmin Montana that I usually carry when I am out on my own but in some of these group rides I may leave it behind and it never fails that we ride some interesting stuff and I wish I would have taken the Montana to log the tracks. This may be a less cumbersome option for those times.
Back to top Go down
Blooper

PostSubject: Re: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Blooper wrote:

This is good timing...

So I have started to use an app called Strava to track my walks and bicycle rides.  Pretty cool app that shares you info with others and helps you to find some interesting bicycle routes.

So I introduced the app to my gf, who is a big time cyclist, and she loved it.  Only issue was it was a pain in the butt to carry the phone on her rides.  So for her birthday I bought her a Garmin watch which tracks her while she is riding and when she gets back home it uploads the data to a Garmin app and Strava on her phone.  The Garmin watch is pretty similar to an iWatch but a heck of a lot less expensive.

So far it has been working great for her.  I am thinking about picking up one and maybe using it on some of my rides when I am out with a group.  I have a Garmin Montana that I usually carry when I am out on my own but in some of these group rides I may leave it behind and it never fails that we ride some interesting stuff and I wish I would have taken the Montana to log the tracks.  This may be a less cumbersome option for those times.

Cool, please post here how you make out with strava. I had been considering that as well. I used to use it when I ran, and I know of a lot of people who use it for bicycling. It would probably work pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trail map tracking app   Trail map tracking app Empty

Back to top Go down

Trail map tracking app
Page 1 of 1