Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Theft and security

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sophijo

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Theft and security   Theft and security EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 8:46 pm

How does one keep his WR250R from being stolen? I know you can lock it up but can't a couple of beefy guys just pick it up and throw it in the back of a pickup?
Back to top Go down
mvonhatten

mvonhatten

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theft and security   Theft and security EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Definitely something you want to think about when you park your bike.

If I am in a shady area I always lock my steering and park in areas that are under surveillance or by the front door. Other than chaining it up, there isn't much you can do.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theft and security   Theft and security EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:27 pm

I've had a lot of bikes in 35 years, and a lot of them (well, 4) stolen.
At home, or on the back of my truck, I use the Kryptonite chain, the thing is so solid and heavy it's almost hard to pick up, along with the fugghedaboutit lock. Seems about as good as it gets.
When it's sitting in a parking lot, I use my paid up full coverage insurance and hope, since you can't carry anything on your person that's heavy enough and thick enough to not be cut through quickly and your bike thrown into the back of a pickup truck in 20 seconds flat.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: you tube tips....   Theft and security EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkONXcHJ2k4
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theft and security   Theft and security EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 pm

You could cut that chain with 2 foot bolt cutters silently and in 2 seconds.

Here's what I use and it would take a blowtorch to get it off:

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-999492-Black-Fahgettaboudit-Chain/dp/B001SMUB7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382977207&sr=8-2&keywords=kryptonite+chain

Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theft and security   Theft and security EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:25 pm

This looks interesting:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/RealTimeGPS/Pages/HowitWorks.aspx
Back to top Go down
sophijo

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Tracking   Theft and security EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Maybe, if you're bike is stolen, you'd be better off not locating it. Assuming you have insurance!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theft and security   Theft and security EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Yeah, but insurance never pays for what it's actually worth. First there's the deductible, and then they give you "fair market value". So no you have to go find another bike that has been taken care of like you took care of yours, and then modify it the way you like it, etc etc. Just a huge PIA...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Theft and security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theft and security   Theft and security Empty

Back to top Go down

Theft and security
Page 1 of 1