Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike

Go down 
+5
morgan9283
rsteiger
johnkol
YZEtc
chris spark
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chris spark

Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike Empty
PostSubject: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Just a few questions,

1. Is there a certain year I should look for? I'm not looking to buy new as I anticipate damaging it at SOME point as I am inexperienced.
2. What is the price range I am going to be looking for paying overall?
3. Should i get a WR250R for a first bike?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 pm

I can give you an opinion on numbers 1 and 3:

1) The WR250R hasn't changed since it's introduction in 2008, so one model year is as good as the other.

3) Assuming you are physically able to hold the bike up without struggling, you could do worse.
I typically recommend smaller or mid-sized dual-purpose bikes and not-intended-for-racing dirt bikes as first motorcycles.

Some guys tell people that a 100+ horsepower YZF-R6 is a good first bike. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 1:54 am

As far as (2) is concerned, it depends on where you are located, and when you plan on purchasing. This is definitely the worst part of the year to buy a bike, when winter is over and bright sunny days are on the horizon.

Take a look at the Flea Market forum on AdvRider; there are quite a few WR250R on offer, so you'll get a better idea of what the asking prices are.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Well if you haven't sat on a few bikes yet I would recommend doing that first.

As a first bike I think it may fit the bill assuming you are tall or comfortable riding a tall bike. If the height makes you nervous then I would look for something a bit lower like a used XT225, SuperSherpa 250, XT250, CRF230, or CRF250L.

My brother has been riding for many years on the street but struggles when it comes to getting on my WR250R and trail riding. He just doesn't like the seat height and it shows when he rides it. He can ride the same route on his CRF250L and will be quicker and more confident no matter how many times he takes my WRR on the same route.

If you get on the bike and feel comfortable then I would say that is a good sign.

If not, there is nothing wrong with going with any of the used bikes I have mentioned. Plus if you decide that motorcycles are not for you then you will pretty much get what you paid for the bike when you go to sell it. Same holds true for a used WRR.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 1:36 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Well if you haven't sat on a few bikes yet I would recommend doing that first.

As a first bike I think it may fit the bill assuming you are tall or comfortable riding a tall bike.  If the height makes you nervous then I would look for something a bit lower like a used XT225, SuperSherpa 250, XT250, CRF230, or CRF250L.

My brother has been riding for many years on the street but struggles when it comes to getting on my WR250R and trail riding.  He just doesn't like the seat height and it shows when he rides it.  He can ride the same route on his CRF250L and will be quicker and more confident no matter how many times he takes my WRR on the same route.

If you get on the bike and feel comfortable then I would say that is a good sign.

If not, there is nothing wrong with going with any of the used bikes I have mentioned.  Plus if you decide that motorcycles are not for you then you will pretty much get what you paid for the bike when you go to sell it.  Same holds true for a used WRR.

I would add the KLX250 to the above list.  It only got fuel  injection in the last year or so but I'd argue is a better beginner bike than the WRR--it has more midrange and out of the box the suspension is very good by budget suspension standards.  The WRR can also be lowered substantially for small money if you struggle with the height.

The WRR is however super reliable and has only a few well documented weak spots.  Read through the forums here for fuel pump issues, stator recall, cam chain tensioner and chain guard wear.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Aaronkeller

PostSubject: Year dosen't matter   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 4:28 am

Your first point can be answered by me!!
Yeah if it is about experience thing can be counted. But there's not certainly any year needs to be considered while getting one:thumb:
Back to top Go down
huh

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptySat Jul 27, 2019 9:49 pm

I got a WRR as my first bike and I think I did well.
I am 5'10" so its height definitely got me nervous.

Just be careful and practice slipping your bottom from side to side to get more reach to the ground.
Back to top Go down
drifteast

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Like others have said, if you're comfortable with the seat height, there are far worse choices to be made. I've had the following bikes in this order: KLR 650, XT250, DRZ400S, and now the WR. Looking back now, if I'd gotten the WR instead of the KLR (mind you, the WR didn't exist then) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tried any of the others; I'd have been happy with the WR. It feels lighter than both the KLR and DRZ (and is of course), and of course it's newer - but not latest - tech. When I was prepping to sell the DRZ, I was set on a KLX250 because for the second time, the seat height of the WR scared me off. Then I realized that it's basically the same as the DRZ; and I've since picked up a Seat Concepts Low seat and couldn't be happier with it. Good luck in the search, it's all part of the fun!
Back to top Go down
dwollie

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 am

WR250R is a solid motorcycle with good suspension. It is a great starter bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike   Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking at getting a WR250R for first bike
Page 1 of 1