Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
matttys

matttys

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X Empty
PostSubject: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 2:46 pm

WR250R

So here is the story. I’ve owned a few bikes in my 26 years of life, but I really like bikes that have a dual purpose. I started with a BMW F650 Dakar as a first bike, but soon found that was too heavy for serious offroad work. So I bought a ’90 DR350 that was dirt machine. I soon found the both lacked a bit of flare so I bought a Triumph Tiger 955i as my street bike, but that left a void for me in a long distance touring bike that I could take on serious offroad rides – enter the WR250R.

I sold both my Dakar and DR (both highly modified) and replaced both with the WR250R. The bike really impressed me with the lack of vibration, better suspension, light weight and 350w stator. My build of this bike is set to replace the long range BMW and the offroad capability of the DR.

Here’s the bike when I bought it.

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 704590242_DfMZY-M

I had some serious modifications as I didn’t like the riding position, it needed aux lights, guards, removing bits, a range of more than 100 miles, etc. Here’s the bike now.

Electrical – I wired in a relay to control the fuse panel that would power my gps, Datel volt meter, Gerbings heated jacket, Dual Star heated grips and VisionX aux led driving lights. I used a 7 wire 14ga trailer cable to route the wires to the control panel [on the handle bars] and used that to house all the switches and connectors. I also wired in a head light cutout switch on the right shroud of the headlight housing. My buddy had a WR450 and I used his stock LED tail light, but I also wired in Hyperlites to increase visibility from the rear. He also gave me some LED turn signals that I wired up with a new flasher relay [I think it was for an R1] to slow down the blink.

Performance – Took off the AIS, airbox flapper, top of air box and removed the stock exhaust. You could actually feel the different components opening and closing while riding. It made the power delivery extremely non-linear. In goes the FMF Q4 slip on [not too loud – I like it], FMF Power Programmer, K&N filter. With these mods the power is up significantly, but it’s still 250cc’s so I’m not hoping for miracles. Fuel economy is around 50 mpg right now with 300 miles on the clock [I ride like a moron so I guess 50 mpg is pretty good].

Brackets – The first thing to go was the frumpy tail light assembly. My buddy and I welded up a slim aluminum piece that wouldn’t get too banged up when I down the bike. I wanted to avoid mounting the plate horizontally as I found it would catch on the ground when the bike fell. The turn signals are rubber mounted with rubber from the shoe repair store. This means that I can crash and the signals will flex out of the way without breaking off. On top of the tail assembly is a rack that holds the Rotopax 1 gal fuel tank. I still have to put some footman loops on the rack to secure other things with webbing straps. Along the right of the bike we fabbed a guard out of chromemoly tubing that would serve as a standoff for the Giant Loop bag [I didn’t like the idea of it resting on the muffler. Another chromemoly bracket holds the LED lights above the stock headlamp.

Guards – Zeta skid plate protects the bottom end and Cycra guards protect the levers. I had to flip the shields to work with my weird handle bar setup. DirtSkins are protecting the fork seals. Flatlands radiator guard protects the obvious.

Controls – I used Rox hard mount risers to give me some rise and extension for the bars. Luckily I was able to reuse the Fastco Flexx bars, Cycra guards, special pivoting mounts for the guards, and Kaoko throttle lock from my BMW [thank God as this setup really is big $$$ and I’m glad I can move it from bike to bike]. Zeta pivot levers will flex out of the way in the event the guards don’t hold up in a fall. KTM folding mirrors will make dual sporting the bike easy.

Luggage – Giant Loop bag goes on the back and I’m still contemplating a tank bag, but I’m tapped out on funds for this project. The Loop really fits well and should hold more than enough for longer trips. Not to mention I can still down the bike and not break my Touratech boxes like were on my BMW.

Still To Do – I’ve got D606’s, heavier tubes and rim locks to mount up, but once that’s done the bike is complete.

Gripes about the bike – It’s still a 250 so the power isn’t immense. I miss having a cush drive on the rear hub. The direct mount sprocket makes the throttle feel a bit twitchy.

What I really like – it can’t go that fast. I don’t get in trouble and cruising speeds are lower. When you are sitting straight up having a bike [like my DRZ470SM with 57 hp] with lots of power makes you ride faster and wears you out more quickly. Luggage on this bike is really easy to remove and I can carry all my camping gear. The bike is light years ahead of my DR350 offroad. Super low creeper first gear is great and 6th gear is nice for cruising. Ergos are great and the bike has no vibrations. Insurance is rather cheap.
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Enjoy all the pictures! I through some artsy ones in there for fun.

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511972_odtNa-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511987_XRkvc-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512018_Se36r-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511838_yXPAF-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511867_uD2Sj-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511887_b7Htg-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512047_a9J28-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512212_D7s9i-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512233_DCfMZ-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512194_mJzbf-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512174_2cQUP-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512093_unSYd-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512109_SgFhq-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512151_HALab-M
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511810_u7BAh-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511778_EfhPM-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511364_7Mq5P-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511356_iuhpW-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511284_6cwhj-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511314_QJCAS-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511332_XFCir-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511709_A4WQo-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511736_VDCe9-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511754_MsEqm-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511598_8QHZV-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511630_wzgei-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604122_xtTPe-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604115_StSse-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604146_KKAvx-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604385_D3HHy-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604103_7jYb5-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604098_VWxJr-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604077_rqfWQ-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604085_MqVJr-M
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 3:03 pm

WR250X

This bike is the replacement for my fiancee’s lowered GS500E. I still like to have her come on trips with me [the main reason I bought the Tiger], but when I want to do offroad I’m stuck with a 550 lb bike. With the WR-X she can keep pace with me and still touch the ground [she’s 5’1”]. Bought the bike with 6,000 miles on it with no mods.

The only mods to this bike was a Yamalink for the rear and I spun the handle bar mounts 180 degrees to allow more drop on the front forks. Ended up replacing the handle bars with alloy ones to accommodate the Cycra guards I took off my DR350. When I made my rear rack, the X got the first attempt at a rack. A stepped seat from Wheeling Cycle and a chopped side stand completed the low rider.
[/b]
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 3:09 pm

And now it's time to break her in!

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728512261_uHKMK-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511403_7Z63F-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511433_sGgoz-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511452_EBJrA-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511491_rLUDj-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 728511567_RzVrz-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604124_rNQXd-M

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604066_YnNNF-M

Street legal DRZ134SM.

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604056_o3wF2-M

57 hp DRZ470SM

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604031_wg7ph-M

Triumph Tiger 995i

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604045_SwDbP-M
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Very nice work Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 204616

As i am in the process of building mine at the moment, i have a couple of questions.

Space to mount electrics is rather limited, i see your fuse panel, but can't see where you mounted the programmer. I need to install Eastern Beaver 3 circuit and Autocom, i have installed my programmer where your fuse panel is, where is your programmer??

Love the heat shield/grab bar you have made, i will be getting a giant loop as well, so i have the same issue as you with the Q4, could you show detailed pictures of how you have mounted it, and is it more a heat shield or is it rigid enough to be a grab handle??

Nice build...
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 10:48 pm

rpo83 wrote:
Space to mount electrics is rather limited, i see your fuse panel, but can't see where you mounted the programmer.

Yeah, I thought I took a picture of that, but looking back I just don't think I loaded it to smugmug. I put the programer in the rubber loop that holds the battery in place. I just wedged it in there. Seems to be enough wiggle room between the batter and fender to not cause any problems. Not to mention it is easy to access, you can change the programs without too much fuss and it doesn't take up any space under the seat.

rpo83 wrote:
Love the heat shield/grab bar you have made, i will be getting a giant loop as well, so i have the same issue as you with the Q4, could you show detailed pictures of how you have mounted it, and is it more a heat shield or is it rigid enough to be a grab handle??

It's chrome moly and is stronger than the actual subframe. I have it mounted through the hole behind the rear muffler mount [up by the tail rack] and through the top bolt of the foot pegs. It is strong enough to lift the bike with for sure.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 2:42 am

Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 743604115_StSse-M

For a moment I thought you have a fan at the back of the bike Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 851577

All nicely done up Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 61865
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 am

mtb wrote:
For a moment I thought you have a fan at the back of the bike Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X 851577

Haha, I took most of the pictures before putting the spare tank on, so all the final pictures were in the garage as it is now snowing here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X   Super Mod WR-R & Super Low WR-X Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1