Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Brake Caliper, Is this normal?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jpro22

Brake Caliper, Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Brake Caliper, Is this normal?   Brake Caliper, Is this normal? EmptyFri Apr 15, 2022 9:58 pm

This is my first bike, and first time tearing down a caliper. When I took the piston cylinders out, I noticed on one side there seems to be a pattern in the metal. At first I thought it was a factory thing, but it's worn down on one side so I am thinking maybe the pressure from the brake fluid did this. However, when you look on the bottom of the piston cylinder there is no such pattern. I am mainly wanting to know if they are still safe/ok to use. I am upgrading to a bigger brake rotor, and bought this caliper used and wanted to change all the seals when I discovered this. Bike: WR250R, Caliper from WR250X
TLDR;
Is this safe/ok to use?

CALIPER UNDER PISTON CYLINDER
Brake Caliper, Is this normal? Unname10

BACK OF PISTON CYLINDER
Brake Caliper, Is this normal? Unname11

???

THANKS,
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Brake Caliper, Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Caliper, Is this normal?   Brake Caliper, Is this normal? EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:11 am

A fluid cannot create patterned indentations on a metal surface, but yes, the caliper is perfectly safe to use; clean those pistons thoroughly with soapy water and a toothbrush, and after you install them make sure they both move in synchrony when you apply the brake.

BTW, if you plan on riding off-road, the WRX brakes are not a good idea.
Back to top Go down

Brake Caliper, Is this normal?
Page 1 of 1