Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Max out your Safari Tank.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
10Cup

10Cup

Max out your Safari Tank. Empty
PostSubject: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:15 pm

I have had my safari tank now for over 10,000 miles and have made some modifications to it that might be of interest to some. You can see the complete "10Cup Mod" on this link.
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Looks cool. Is the main point of this mod to make sure the fuel pulls from both sides of the tank or did I miss something? Looks like a good bit of work when you could just tip the bike over a little.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm

What you and HF did was pretty sweet. I like the idea of weighting down the intakes.

10Cup

PostSubject: Tank   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm

matttys wrote:
Looks cool. Is the main point of this mod to make sure the fuel pulls from both sides of the tank or did I miss something? Looks like a good bit of work when you could just tip the bike over a little.

Actually it is designed for two things. One to be able to get the very last amount of fuel available and to increase the capacity of the system for use at highway speeds during the last 1/2 gal of fuel. Found that when you are running at interstate speeds and one side starts to run low the bike will act like it is running out of fuel. (because it is) It will run just fine about 30-40 but will not pump enough for high speed operation.

Once one side starts to run low and air is introduced into the system then it can no longer suck fuel from the side that still has some. With a pump for each wing of the tank each side gets drained to the last drop.

Summary, more capacity for high speeds and using the last drop available in the tank.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 11:56 am

Nice work. Max out your Safari Tank. 61865
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Ah OK. So it is maximizing the fuel that is there. . . not actually increasing capacity. I'm on board now.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

matttys wrote:
Ah OK. So it is maximizing the fuel that is there. . . not actually increasing capacity. I'm on board now.

It actually decreases capacity.

I'm impressed by the ingenuity, but its an un-needed modification IMO. Just carry a parts kit for the vacuum pump if you are concerned with it failing. I understand the desire to get all you can out of the tank while still running 80mph, however, if you are running 80mph and there isn't a gas station within 5 miles or so, you'd better slow down to 30-40mph to conserve fuel or you will be pushing it to the gas station.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

Machtig wrote:
matttys wrote:

Sure it's "not needed" IF you like giving a 1/2 gallon of fuel a free ride. You state it actually decreases capacity. Yes the space the second pump takes up would reduce the fuel by an ounce or two if you want to get into that finite of a comparison. However, it does increase the "range" of the Safari Tank and after all that is why we buy the larger tank in the first place.

Use as you will, it works and is proven. I don't give any fuel a free ride, rather put it all to use and extend my range to over 200 miles (actual experience on the Continental Divide ride was 226 miles between gas stops at one point.)
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:10 am

10Cup wrote:
Machtig wrote:
matttys wrote:

Sure it's "not needed" IF you like giving a 1/2 gallon of fuel a free ride. You state it actually decreases capacity. Yes the space the second pump takes up would reduce the fuel by an ounce or two if you want to get into that finite of a comparison. However, it does increase the "range" of the Safari Tank and after all that is why we buy the larger tank in the first place.

Use as you will, it works and is proven. I don't give any fuel a free ride, rather put it all to use and extend my range to over 200 miles (actual experience on the Continental Divide ride was 226 miles between gas stops at one point.)

Half gallon huh? I just filled up my tank for the first time after the initial filling(3.566 gal) a week or so ago. It took 3.311 gallons, so there was .25 gal in the wings and each wing was at the same approximate level. At that level the engine was still running fine at freeway speeds. Next time I'll bring one of my MSR bottles full of fuel and run it lower.

I think your modification is innovative, but not necessary. You do have the advantage of redundancy, however.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Max out your Safari Tank.   Max out your Safari Tank. Empty

Back to top Go down

Max out your Safari Tank.
Page 1 of 1