Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Code 17 - Engine Light is On

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Horsman

Horsman

Code 17 - Engine Light is On Empty
PostSubject: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Code 17 - Engine Light is On (have Resistor 10 in the bike - red/white to red/black)

Can a Power Commander 5 - throw everything off??? - I don't have it mapped yet???

I don't want to buy a servo sub.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Code 17:

Open circuit in wire harness.

Defective EXUP servo motor.

ECU is defective

Did it work fine before when you hooked up the resistor? You can take the resistor out, and try putting it in the other way. That might help. If you are still throwing a code, I'm hoping it's the fuel tuner and not the ECU. Code 17 - Engine Light is On 640571

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 11:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Code 17:

Open circuit in wire harness.

Defective EXUP servo motor.

ECU is defective

Did it work fine before when you hooked up the resistor? You can take the resistor out, and try putting it in the other way. That might help. If you are still throwing a code, I'm hoping it's the fuel tuner and not the ECU. Code 17 - Engine Light is On 640571

ECU was working fine until I ripped everything off like a Wookie with a temper tantrum.

Removed the PCV replugged everything that the PCV was connected too (I have a MegaBomb and Q4 pipe on the bike now)
back in - Still thru the 17
https://2img.net/h/i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/2008%20WR250R/Picture005.jpg

I followed your red white/red black
https://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/2008%20WR250R/?action=view&current=Picture004.jpg&newest=1

I have one thing that isn't connected (it was from the AIS Removal/Flapper/Thingy) could this be throwing the code???
What do I do with it??? It looks lonely and needs to do something... Code 17 - Engine Light is On Icon_scratch
https://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/2008%20WR250R/?action=view&current=Picture008.jpg&newest=1
https://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/2008%20WR250R/?action=view&current=Picture006.jpg&newest=1
https://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/2008%20WR250R/?action=view&current=Picture007.jpg&newest=1

Halp!!

Oh I ripped this out too!!!
https://media.photobucket.com/image/exup%20servo%20motor/ststands/R1-R6%20parts%20forsale/09firesale007.jpg
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 am

Ok, the bottom pic is your exup assembly. That plug should be what was connected to your AIS assembly, so that shouldn't throw the code, but plug it back in for now. I thought it was your lean angle sensor plug but I saw that was connected. Did you go over all the connections under the tank and make sure they are clipped together tight? Hook that exup motor back in just hanging off the side of the bike. If you're still throwing a code, then you've got a loose connection somewhere. Technically if you connect everything back to complete the circuit (AIS plug, exup motor & fuel injection) that code should clear. If it clears, try removing things one by one and keep checking the dash in the event it throws it again. Sometimes when you rip stuff out other things can come partially unplugged without knowing it, cause it's just too exciting to get that shit in there and use it. Code 17 - Engine Light is On 93746

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am

SheWolf wrote:
Ok, the bottom pic is your exup assembly. That plug should be what was connected to your AIS assembly, so that shouldn't throw the code, but plug it back in for now. I thought it was your lean angle sensor plug but I saw that was connected. Did you go over all the connections under the tank and make sure they are clipped together tight? Hook that exup motor back in just hanging off the side of the bike. If you're still throwing a code, then you've got a loose connection somewhere. Technically if you connect everything back to complete the circuit (AIS plug, exup motor & fuel injection) that code should clear. If it clears, try removing things one by one and keep checking the dash in the event it throws it again. Sometimes when you rip stuff out other things can come partially unplugged without knowing it, cause it's just too exciting to get that shit in there and use it. Code 17 - Engine Light is On 93746

Code 17 - Engine Light is On 204616YOU WERE SOOOO RIGHT!!!! I put the EXUP Motor back on just to test it (CODE 17 disappeared) I think my EXUP plug doesn't likes the resistors!!! I just ordered a Graves EXUP terminator so I can be done with it!!!! You are awesome!!! Come over to State side and I'll buy you beers Code 17 - Engine Light is On 723941 and a Clark Tank if you are extra nice!!! Code 17 - Engine Light is On 500735
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:06 am

Code 17 - Engine Light is On 93746 Been a while since I was over the line. Like 1991... Code 17 - Engine Light is On 640571 One thing I miss about driving long haul was getting to see all the different areas while picking up and dropping off cargo.

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Code 17 - Engine Light is On 93746 Been a while since I was over the line. Like 1991... Code 17 - Engine Light is On 640571 One thing I miss about driving long haul was getting to see all the different areas while picking up and dropping off cargo.
Does this bike have a fan??? Engine light has come on and I haven't heard the fan come on - My R6 fans runs like a teenage cheerleader with a blow dryer!!!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 am

Yep, the fan is on the right hand side right behind the rad. Code 17 - Engine Light is On 61865

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 3:31 am

SheWolf wrote:
Yep, the fan is on the right hand side right behind the rad. Code 17 - Engine Light is On 61865

Fan isn't running - never comes on - engine light comes on before it even gets warmed up.
(like a prom date saying no, before I get her into the limo ---- wait, bad analogy - could have used that like 25years ago!!)

but I think this bike hates me....

Engine light is on - when i first start the bike... ughghghghghghg.
Guess, I will go thru the whole spec check to make sure the R-tards at the shop didn't F-up on this bike (have a feeling they couldn't figure out the difference between Oil and Coolant.)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 am

Oh great... Code 17 - Engine Light is On 640571 The fan won't come on until it's worked hard, in most cases.

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Oh great... Code 17 - Engine Light is On 640571 The fan won't come on until it's worked hard, in most cases.

Finally got the Code -18 -- which I believe it is the "taken apart" Exup servo motor- I just plugged in the "taken apart exup motor" until I get the Graves Exup eliminator end cap on and I am guessing the code will disappear.

thanks about the "fan" - can't wait to get this Bike all Hot and Bothered!!!! :)
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Slip on exhaust Dash Code 17/18   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 5:22 pm

hey I was looking through this thread and read some stuff about full exhaust but I was wondering if someone can help with my question. I just installed a slip on and the instructions said that to get the exhaust cables off it was easiest to remove the servo motor to access then reinstall servo. I did that and the engine light comes on with the 17/18 code coming up on my dash.
Any suggestions? Removed stuff several times to make sure everything went back the way it came off but to no avail. I thought disconnect the battery for a little may reset something but again nothing.

ANY Suggestions??????????????????????
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 6:43 am

I may be in the same spot. I got a CEL and code 17 after washing my bike yesterday morning--- I'd been riding with salt on the road so I blasted the heck out of it with the water hose. Cranked fine but the CEL and code popped up. Guess water got past the tape-up job from the resistor trick. I had buddies waiting on me yesterday so I rode anyway and didn't get back til late last night. Today I'll dig the servo motor out of the junk box and see if I can clear my code. I'll post back.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 am

So am I reading this right. Can I take the entire servo box out of the bike if I get some resistors wired in some how?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 11:44 am

nfraged wrote:
So am I reading this right. Can I take the entire servo box out of the bike if I get some resistors wired in some how?

Yes.
I've used it and it worked for me just fine and dandy:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t627-cheapest-diy-servo-bypass?highlight=servo+resistor#5726
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 6:45 am

Haven't had a chance to ride yet, but looks like the code cleared when I plugged the servo motor back in.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 am

Ok. So i'm no electical wiz, but I see the resistors and hope to find them at radio shack or something. But where in the plug do those wires stick into? From the pic I can't see it clearly. I see the two resistors wired together and it just looks like the ends are crammed down the sides of the plug or something.

Everyone's situation is a little unique so here is mine. Installed two brothers exhaust, which sounds awesome by the way, the instructions warn of engine light coming on if servo is left unplugged. I never unplugged it to take the wires from the exup valve off. After installation error code 17 and 18 flashed on my dash. Now after speaking to someone at Two Brothers they had mentioned that there is a "home" position for the little gears inside. So I messed around with that yesterday and got code 17 to stop showing up. So now it's just 18. I didn't want to mess with the factory settings anymore than necessary but if taking out the box and wiring in some resistors is the only way then I will.

So, can someone show a pic of where exactly do you "shove" the resistors wires into the plug? I usually don't have this problem I swear. You can ask my wife!!!! wink
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 8:44 am

rydnseek has a good picture in his thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849081&highlight=

Sarah
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks Greer!
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Or Sarah..... sorry
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Glad to help!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Ok, got the resistors 10K ohm 1/4 watt ran it like what is in pic red/white wire to black/red. Turn the key and 18 still pops up with the engine light..... GAHHHH

I don't know what else to do.....
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Well call me Doubting Thomas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It worked. I think I just needed to start the bike up once or twice.

CEL gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wings

Thanks for all your help!
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 5:52 am

Good!! Tape that plug up really, really well and zip tie it up out of the way.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Code 17 - Engine Light is On   Code 17 - Engine Light is On Empty

Back to top Go down

Code 17 - Engine Light is On
Page 1 of 1