Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

skid plate (flatland or ricochet)

Go down 
+17
marty
TBird1
jon_l
crazy_dave
Matty
BakerDT
malibu_dan
olddog
Chief_Lee_Visceral
router.exe
eakins
skierd
jason meacham
Dancamp
SheWolf
DanLap
inspector
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
eakins

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 pm

here's the force plate from their website.
can't tell how far back it goes.

from pictures forces looks to have the most protection on the sides & the front atleast,
though the b and b side protection looks good also.

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 Bfa005ya06l
skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 Bfa005ya06r

Last edited by eakins on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm

here's the b&B plate

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 Wr250r20bashplate
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:49 pm

could you explain the rear mount method some more?
i don't see an exposed bolts (which is nice & flat!)

SheWolf wrote:
Mounts differently (more solid mounting, uses the rear motor mounts), bends are a bit different and it's shiny! Oh and you don't need to use baffling to get rid of noise, as it's doesn't give off any vibrations. skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:31 pm

You won't see the exposed bolts because they are mounted via tabs to the rear engine mount bolts. skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 61865 VERY sturdy.

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am

SheWolf wrote:
You won't see the exposed bolts because they are mounted via tabs to the rear engine mount bolts. skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 61865 VERY sturdy.

do those notched back areas on the L&R rear of the plate provide bolt access? i'm wondering why the notch & resulting exposed frame.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 am

It's to let debris flow out. My mistake, the tabs use the frame cage for the engine, not the rear mounts.
skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 IMG_1304

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 pm

My new skidplate (V.2) will have an extended portion along the top edge
(just below the frame downtube,) and the 2 lower corner reinforcements
will be a larger diameter, from 1.5" to 2.5", for a more rounded
contour. Pics next week. I have a toolbox version in the wings also.
Thanks, Eakins.
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:45 pm

BakerDT wrote:
My new skidplate (V.2) will have an extended portion along the top edge
(just below the frame downtube,) and the 2 lower corner reinforcements
will be a larger diameter, from 1.5" to 2.5", for a more rounded
contour. Pics next week. I have a toolbox version in the wings also.
Thanks, Eakins.

right on. a good business man stays one step ahead of the competiton.
thanks for the info. sounds like a winner.
please post a pic when you have one.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I just through on the Moose Racing skid plate. Fits like a glove. Kinda looks like the Richochet. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Hey, this is a pretty good thread...right? skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 93746

*finally took the bike to some REAL single and double track...thank god i had a skidplate on lol
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Matty wrote:
I just through on the Moose Racing skid plate. Fits like a glove. Kinda looks like the Richochet. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

1 and the same.
moose makes zero hardparts.
Back to top Go down
BakerDT

PostSubject: A happy customer   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Tami says she loves her bashplate.

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 846728018_yAzrF-M

Friend of mine did a fly and ride yesterday for a nearly new Wr250R. 45-48 degrees, all at night, 273 miles across Utah and Colorado. Averaged 54 mph with 2 stops for fuel. He was running 70-75 the whole way and the bike ran like it loved it.
Awesome bike. I can't wait to get mine.
I can think of a few things I need! skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 379944
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:32 pm

BakerDT wrote:

Friend of mine did a fly and ride yesterday for a nearly new Wr250R. 45-48 degrees, all at night, 273 miles across Utah and Colorado. Averaged 54 mph with 2 stops for fuel. He was running 70-75 the whole way and the bike ran like it loved it.

Brrrrr... it was cold as sh*t last night out in Colorado.
Back to top Go down
BakerDT

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Matty wrote:

He said he got into light blowing snow and wind the last 45 minutes, got into Craig, Colorado about Midnight. But he knows what he's doing. He had the gear on for sure, thermal thenfleece pants under heavy riding pants, electric jacket then a fleece jacket with his Kilimanjaro coat over that. He rode up to Rabbit Ears today.

I would have loved riding the new bike, but even with the gear, windy and blowing snow in the middle of the night... I don't think I'd been having fun. I'm too old for quite that much adventure. BTDT.
Back to top Go down
BakerDT

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 pm

I guess I could show you folks who I am. I've been working making aircraft tooling for 30 years. I've worked on them all, Beech, Learjet, Boeing, military stuff, and the past 16 years with Cessna.
Here's my auxiliary tanks and my partners' KLX351.

Thanks

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 729927144_5g4h3-M

Here's an example of the FAA Certified welding my guy does. I'm very proud of him.
These are my .063" aluminum 1.1 gal. KLX250 tanks.

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 678547259_ratVf-L
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 pm

mike was hardcore last night.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571931

BakerDT wrote:
Matty wrote:

He said he got into light blowing snow and wind the last 45 minutes, got into Craig, Colorado about Midnight. But he knows what he's doing. He had the gear on for sure, thermal thenfleece pants under heavy riding pants, electric jacket then a fleece jacket with his Kilimanjaro coat over that. He rode up to Rabbit Ears today.

I would have loved riding the new bike, but even with the gear, windy and blowing snow in the middle of the night... I don't think I'd been having fun. I'm too old for quite that much adventure. BTDT.
Back to top Go down
BakerDT

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 12:40 am

eakins wrote:

Agreed. It was fun following along. I google mapped street views as he went. some open country out there, I'm glad the Yamaha is a solid ride. Convinced me. I can't wait to get mine.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 10:08 am

eakins wrote:

Hahaha... ya i know Dysco AKA Mike. He's a member of the CSC (Colorado sportbike Club).
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 am

Sorry for reviving the dead but…………………………………Can anyone verify that (the Flatland skid plate has now been updated to include additional coverage that extends to the back of the frame) I saw the in the vendor section. It looks like it gives the same coverage as the Ricochet now.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:11 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
Sorry for reviving the dead but…………………………………Can anyone verify that (the Flatland skid plate has now been updated to include additional coverage that extends to the back of the frame) I saw the in the vendor section. It looks like it gives the same coverage as the Ricochet now.

Sorry, I can only confirm that mine does not. Wish it did. I'd email the manufacturer for confirmation, since even if the part has changed, you can't be sure the vendor you order from will have new inventory. The manufacturer can steer you towards a vendor that turns over their inventory enough to have the updated part on-hand.

The one in the photo def. has more coverage than mine: http://flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FR&Product_Code=24-45
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 pm

I have seen where a couple of people have had problems with the oil sight glasses getting damages on the trails. Question- do any of the aforementioned bash plates protect the sight glass?
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:39 pm

TBird1 wrote:
I have seen where a couple of people have had problems with the oil sight glasses getting damages on the trails. Question- do any of the aforementioned bash plates protect the sight glass?

My Flatland seems to offer some protection, since the sightglass isn't visible in this pic:

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 7478143920_64f4b74887_b
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 pm

I received and installed the new flatland over the weekend. The new design does cover most of the frame like the ricochet .
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Flatland & oil change   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

I have a Flatland (apparently an older version than Dave's since it stops shorter) and when I installed it, I was impressed with the generous-looking opening to reach the drain plug.

When doing my first change yesterday, even though it looked perfect when I first removed the plug, after the flow started to slow down, the oil seemed to dance around the drain, and enough oil got on top of the skid-plate that if I hadn't caught it, it would have run off the edge. I was able to lower the bike off the lift onto the side-stand, and catch the oil in a pan as it ran off the left side of the skid-plate.

I was working in the driveway, not the garage, but it wasn't an windy day.

The oil was very hot, as I had just ridden 35 km / 20 miles.

Any theories as to why the oil stream might seem to deflect rather than drain straight down?
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm

this is what happens to the flatlands skid plate when one target fixates on a big rock, then hits it going ~15-20mph. i suspect that this would have happened with most any of the skid plates available right now, and the damage would of course have been much, much worse if there was no skid plate at all.

skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 DSC00160

broken water pump cover. it's also bent, making a jb-weld salvage job a no-go
skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 DSC00162

and a cracked side case.
skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 DSC00163

looking through this thread, i am wondering if the B&B option (or I guess, options since there are two???) maybe provide a bit more side protection... although it looks like his (the American) website is long gone, so I'm not sure how to actually acquire one. I'm not really interested in the one from overseas due to cost and time.

in case anyone was curious, here is the rock. that is me, with a rock hammer, preparing to unload some frustrations budah
skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 IMG_1371
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: skid plate (flatland or ricochet)   skid plate  (flatland or ricochet) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

skid plate (flatland or ricochet)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next