Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBird

VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? Empty
PostSubject: VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???   VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:58 pm

The thread below had a good discussion about the relative merits of the Flatland Vs Force radiator guards.
http://www.everydayriding.org/2009/08/wr250r-force-accessories-radiator-guard.html

The key point I got out of it was that the main risk to the radiator is side force from a low speed tip over which could bend or crush the radiator. This side force is generally transferred from the plastic body to the radiator.

In another theread someone suggested replacing the 2 outer radiatior bolts with zip ties to allow the plastic to move without bending the radiatior.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had the following idea that I'll throw out for your comments?

Make braces that go from each the outer radiator bolts across the front of the radiator then make a 90 degree bend and has another hole for the inner radiator bolt to go through. It seem that this would avoid ANY transfer of force from the plastic to the radiator (as it would all go through the brace). This could be done for almost $0.

Even more protection cold be added by putting a verticle metal brace between the 2 outer radiator bolts and then another brace angled in from the lower radiator bolt to the frame or the skid plate.

I'd probably make these braces out of aluminum angle stock available at Home Depot, etc.

Comments Solicited.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???   VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:10 pm

VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? 163123
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???   VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 1:47 am

Well I went ahead and tried the idea. I made a nice little brace from aluminum angle iron going from the bottom outer radiator bolt to the bottom inner radiator bolt (the one that has the rubber groument under it).

It was neat and strong BUT I didn't like the idea that it stiffened the radiator to frame joint as the inner end was solid aginst the washer that is over the groumet. This washer is then in solid contact with the sleeve that is inside the rubber groumet. It wasn't real stiff but the radiator was about twice as wiggle resistant as it was originally. I think this is counter productive because the ability of the radiator to move on the groumets makes it MUCH more able to take impacts from the front or side.

SO I took that brace off and made another one that goes from the bottom outer radiator bolt to the oblong hole on the inside (just above the inner radiator bolt with the groumet). I put a short 6MM bolt through this hole to attach the inside of the new brace to the main inner radiator frame. This simply adds a stiffener to the radiator itself. This brace angles up from the front lower outside corner to the main structure of the radiator in the insde. This is angling up at about a 30 degree angle and should be well placed to help the radiator resist being bent or crushed when the lower front of the plastic makes hard contact with the ground, etc. This oblong hole is normally what the lower tit on the front radiator black plastic grill/guard plugs into. I cut that tit off and cut some notches in the back of the vanes to make clearance for the brace that now angles across behind the plastic vanes. I used a zip tie to attach the plastic gril inner bottom to the radiator.

Last edited by BigBird on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???   VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 am

VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? 454776
Back to top Go down
texasreb

PostSubject: Re: VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???   VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 am

Picture please!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???   VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection??? Empty

Back to top Go down

VERY LOW $ Homemade Radiator protection???
Page 1 of 1