Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Swing arm unders side groves from chain

Go down 
+14
groover73
Arkmage
KC0514
spadgitt
M1A Rifleman
rydnseek
skierd
motokid
inspector
greer
Six8
YZEtc
SheWolf
PonchoV
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PonchoV

Swing arm unders side groves from chain Empty
PostSubject: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:26 pm

This is not something which is broke but sure don't want to wait.
My X has over 4,000 miles & is mainly driven very spiritedly off the pavement.
This X runs w/o a doubt first rate.

I regularly look it over & put sockets of all sizes on it just to ensure things stay snug.
It's not a need to do on this bike but after owning a KLR it has just become a habit.

What I have found are groves on the under side of the swing arm.
Look under your swing arm just behind the primary sprocket.
You might have to clean away the grease/mud build up.
The chain is not showing signs of smoothing out on the link's inter edge facing that part of the swing arm.
This could eat into the needle bearing area.
The black rubber pad is near gone in the groved area.

Do we have to replace this thing (blk rubber) every couple thousand miles?

Anyone else notice this area?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, mine being an R...over 8000 miles and I've got some grooves, but nowhere near worn thru and certainly not into the swingarm. It seems that the wear in that area is due to chain tension (or lack of). I am anal about chain tension and I check it and tire pressure before each ride. Not saying you don't, but chain tension can cause all kinds of trouble if left too loose. Damn...you could replace the slider ad then keep an eye on it and see; I dunno what else to tell you with that. Swing arm unders side groves from chain 29721

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Slider = the black rubber thing ?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Yes, the chain slider = the black rubber thing.

Do we have to replace this thing (blk rubber) every couple thousand miles?

Apparently, for the way you have your bike setup, the way the chain and rear suspension work for you, and the place and way you're riding it, yessiree. :)

Like SheWolf, mine ain't near being worn out and has just normal grooves (and the odometer is nearing 4,000 miles on my WR-250R), so there is definately a reason why yours is toasted while other rider' sliders aren't.

Last edited by YZEtc on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Good topic
just checked the manual the had a look at Dirtybluez in the dirve way (R2 2010 811km,s 3 oil changes)
she's perfect Swing arm unders side groves from chain 810411
a bit loose, but no touching... Swing arm unders side groves from chain 525406
I hope Swing arm unders side groves from chain Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 7:00 pm

At 6,000 miles I've got grooves in the chain guide/slider too, and I've also got wear on the front sprocket. I think I've been running my chain just a little too loose.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Well thanks so much. I'm going to get a new chain slider aka the black rubber thing, no I'll get two. It must be my riding style...am running w/ a bunch of DR-650s, couple of KLR650 & a sorted other much larger more powerful bikes.
We have a ride a week & I average over 200 pretty hard miles just w/ these guys. Wont give up a mile either.

This may just be something which is going to wear out.
Just have never heard of this.
It should be noted that I am the lightest rider in our group, about 150 lb in riding gear. Never thought I could cause this chain rub issue.

Been thinking about that BMW 450X, it will never have this problem, sprocket is attached to the swing arm.

OH well, thank much for the replys & if nothing else I hope others keep an eye on this area if they ride a bit on the spirited side too.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 9:46 pm

^Dude we all have some problems that others don't. I haven't looked yet, but I will. Thank you for taking the time to post up!

*i've been pissy today so don't take that the wrong way. I really am thankful.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:35 am

My first experience with chain guide wear too, so I have no idea how much wear is considered "normal". I have that shine along the bottom of my chain. I think I'm going to buy a new chain & sprockets, replace my chain guide, run the chain just a tad tighter and see what happens. I'd hate to run in to a swingarm issue in the middle of a long tour out in the boonies. I'd like to understand this a little better before I head out.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am

The reason that slider is there is to cushion the chain and stop it from connecting with the swingarm during riding. It's normal to have grooves in it from where the chain will slide across it when your swingarm is moving as you ride over bumps and going over jumps or whatever...a log, even. It's also normal to see a small bit of 'shine' on the bottom of the chain clips. It's not normal to see white powdery stuff on the chain (indicating the chain's running thru metal), as well as half the chain being shiny (running too deep into the slider). My chain's got minimal shine and has been like that for quite a while. My slider has grooves in it that run a tad deeper with the 12T than it did when I had the 13T on it, but it hasn't gone any deeper since. The main thing is to keep an eye on your chain tension, and look it over quickly. It takes all of what...2 seconds to give the chain a pull? Pretty cheap maintenace to do that, and can spare you a lot of grief in the end. Swing arm unders side groves from chain 61865

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you, I'm getting my head around it. I do believe I've been running the chain too loose. And thanks for the 2-finger post over in General Discussion, too.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Figured I would add to this thread. Maybe some people don't know what they are looking for.

First thing you got to do is take off the sprocket cover/case saver so you can see what we see.
Swing arm unders side groves from chain DSCF1334

Next we clean away the dirt and grim and look what I got...
Swing arm unders side groves from chain DSCF1333

Swing arm unders side groves from chain DSCF1332

Looking at it and the black chain guide is still there and not worn through. Yes it has grooves in it, but not too bad.
Everyone is probably wondering how this could happen, well.......
Swing arm unders side groves from chain DSCF1335

Lol, My riding style change the last couple of rides and I didn't check my chain cause I've never had to adj. it before except when I change my tires. My bad. That will teach me.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 pm

I was gonna say chain tension...saw the 13t up there and was like...oh boy. Good thing you caught it. That could have been a pricy chain tension woops. Suspect

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Sure wish I knew how to post pix here.
Would love to gross you out w/ my under swing arm tracks.

What is the largest front sprocket we can fit on our r/x?

Whatever it is, it must be tight, which would demand a perfect adjustment at all times.

GOOD PIX, thanks
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 pm

The biggest we can get on is a 14t.

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 11:15 pm

That is w/o the black plastic guard which is fitted infront of the sprocket, right?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:15 am

Bingo. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 am

http://photobucket.com/ <-- go here - sign up/join - it's free

upload your pictures there - cut & paste img code here - and BLAM

we all get to see your pics.

PonchoV wrote:
Sure wish I knew how to post pix here.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks for the detailed pics inspector.

Poncho, if you haven't already, be sure to read the Chain Tension Sticky over on "Maintenence". That helped me a bunch.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:09 pm

I thought I would just like to add something to this discussion.

1)My chain slider was nearly worn through when I pulled the suspension apart at ~5900 miles for its second greasing. Lowered an inch, lots of hard riding, decent amount of 2-up, and a 12T sprocket. It was not worn through at the end where you can see it however, but directly under where the slider goes over the bump in the swingarm for the pivot shaft. Your chain slider can be worn through and not look like it at the end. If it is worn out at the end it is already cutting into your swingarm.

2) I ordered a new slider, which took ~10 days to get to me. I ride every day as my bike is my sole motorized form of transportation. I filled in the grooves with black RTV and let it set up. Riding daily and normally for the 10 days waiting for the new slider, the RTV held up just fine to solo and 2-up riding (admittedly on a new chain and 13/46 sprocket setup compared to the previous 12/43 and stock chain). If you're out in the middle of a trip and can't wait for a new slider, black RTV will get you home.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Black RTV?
Now is that in a tube or tub?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Tube. Available just about everywhere that has an autoparts setction.

Swing arm unders side groves from chain 8197
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 9:16 am

Well done.Will be trying that today.
Nothing like a little fill in of the old cracks under the new swing arm.
thanks again skierd
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 9:19 am

Just to note, this is NOT a permanent fix. Putting the RTV down acted as a replacement for the worn away hard plastic and was wearing away as if it was the chain slider instead of having the chain cut into my swingarm. I had about 200 miles on it and it was worn halfway through the RTV layer (which I had originally layed down to fill the grooves completely, essentially making the guard as thick as stock), whereas before the guard was paper thin (thin enough to be translucent) and would have surely worn into my swingarm by now. The RTV is softer than the stock guard material and wears away faster. Its mainly meant to be an idea on how to slow down the damage when you're in the middle of BFE on a trip or like me stuck waiting on a part.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 am

Well put, & thanks again.
I'm going to use BTV as a second buffer between the metal on the swing arm & the 3rd (now) rubber track.
Only trying to stay deep in BFE where the real fun awaits.
thanks again.

After looking at my other bikes, not found any wear. Must be a wrr/x thing for to much fun.

Have considered going to a 14 tooth up front & a 50 in the rear but there is so little room up front that I'm a bit concerned for the case getting rubbed.

Life does have its little issues to be figured out.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm unders side groves from chain   Swing arm unders side groves from chain Empty

Back to top Go down

Swing arm unders side groves from chain
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next