Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil consumption 08 wrx

Go down 
+4
mash100
skierd
aaronhall555
Yamirider82
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Yamirider82

Oil consumption 08 wrx Empty
PostSubject: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Hey all

I have a 08 wrx it has about 300 miles on it. I have a fmf header and pipe. Today I was installing some more goodies and I noticed I did not have any oil in the sight glass. It took a whole quart of oil to get it to register, is this normal for break in? I have not noticed any leaks? Sorry this is the first bike I have ever owned, I'm used to my old 2stroke oil injected watercraft lol. I thought some consumption was normal? N e ideas folks.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:04 am

Did you do a pre-inspection and the oil level was good before riding it? Check the oil drain bolt and make sure it has the crush washer. If the wrr/x was consuming one quart of oil every 300 miles with no oil leaks, you'd expect to see a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust, and probably very poor power.

I say just watch it very closely, if it's not the just leaking from the case take it to the dealer for warranty, if possible, but something major would have to be wrong if its not just leaking out a loose oil drain bolt or one without the crush washer or something like that.

Also I hope you are balancing your bike up-right on level ground to check the oil level.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:56 am

Did you pull the bike up so it was sitting level when you checked the oil level in the sight glass? It won't show anything leaned over on the stand...
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 3:31 am

Yamirider82 wrote:
Hey all

I have a 08 wrx it has about 300 miles on it. I have a fmf header and pipe. Today I was installing some more goodies and I noticed I did not have any oil in the sight glass. It took a whole quart of oil to get it to register, is this normal for break in? I have not noticed any leaks? Sorry this is the first bike I have ever owned, I'm used to my old 2stroke oil injected watercraft lol. I thought some consumption was normal? N e ideas folks.

Thanks

Sounds suspiciously like you didn't balance the bike upright on level ground. Either that, or you have a catastrophic leak or busted cylinder. But I'm sure you would have realised, because if that much oil has gone, it would have most probably seized by now!!! Let's also hope you haven't put double the amount of oil in it - that can also cause major problems.
I haven't noticed any leaks or black smoke on my X at 3000 miles...........
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 6:35 am

Since your bike holds a quart-and-a-half, I hope it wasn't down a quart. :)

Sounds to me like you looked at the oil level with the bike on the sidestand and leaning away from the window, too.
If that's the case, don't even start the engine until you stand the bike straight up and down and drain off the excess oil to get the oil level back down to where it should be - the oil level is checked with the bike straight up, not leaning to the side.

When you stand the bike up to check the level, allow 30 seconds for the oil to slosh over if the engine is cold because the oil will be thick and slow moving.
Back to top Go down
Yamirider82

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:02 am

Bike was on a flat level surface and it was upright when I checked it?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:48 am

As stated previously...a "full" oil level is 1.5 quarts.

A wr250x with a half a quart is a big problem.

There's no way you only had half a quart without one of three things happening:

1) The oil level was not right from the start - only half quart put in bike
2) leaking from some place - leaving a puddle that you should notice
3) bike resting on side stand

A brand spanky new Yamaha will not "burn" oil.
A brand spanky new Yamaha will not "consume" oil.

Not at that rate. Not without being beyond noticable.

I'm going with the idea that the proper amount of oil was not put in bike in the first place.

(based on your last post of stating bike was not resting on side stand)

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Yamirider,

How about just start from scratch-- drain all the oil out, put in the proper amount. Then you'll know for sure.

When checking oil cold, it seems I almost pull the bike toward me just a tad before I can begin to see it fill the sight glass. Might be a little tricky til you're used to it. Best of luck and holler back to let us know how it goes.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm

That's very good advice, Sarah. :)
Back to top Go down
Yamirider82

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 pm

I work at a Honda kawi brP and Polaris dealer. I asked the techs about the oil consumption. They all said it is normal. I however think they might have not put enough oil I it. I'm changing the oil this weekend and will start from scratch. Since the dealer I work at Also has a yamaha dealer I got a call into yami tech to see if they have heard of this! If worst comes to worst I'll put a big bore kit in it!!!! Thank u guys for all the input.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 am

Yamirider82 wrote:
I work at a Honda kawi brP and Polaris dealer. I asked the techs about the oil consumption. They all said it is normal.

Pure bullshit.
My translation of that:

"Go away and don't bother me about that.
You'll be fine.
Just put more oil in it."

Odds are, if it really was a quart down, somebody had drained the oil (like when doing an oil change) and didn't put enough fresh oil back in.

The bikes come out of the shipping crate with oil already in the engine.
In fact, I've seen guys look at the oil sight window and think they couldn't see any oil when in fact they didn't realize they were actually peering through the already-full oil window and looking right through the clean and hard-to-see oil, itself.
So, they added more and over-filled the engine. :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 6:10 am

Yamirider82 wrote:
I work at a Honda kawi brP and Polaris dealer. I asked the techs about the oil consumption. They all said it is normal. I however think they might have not put enough oil I it. I'm changing the oil this weekend and will start from scratch. Since the dealer I work at Also has a yamaha dealer I got a call into yami tech to see if they have heard of this! If worst comes to worst I'll put a big bore kit in it!!!! Thank u guys for all the input.

Dude....you have to be kidding me. Yamaha could not have existed for decades in any market selling motors that "consume" 2/3's of the total oil capacity in just a few hours of operation.

You don't need to get "tech's" opionions.

Any "tech" that tells you that kind of thing is "normal" should be fired and replaced immediately.

Many of us have been loyal Yamaha customers for years. many of us have been motorcycle enthusiasts for decades.

I've never ever ever heard of any motocycle that "consumes" a quart of oil in 300 miles. Not even Harley's are joked about on that level.

I don't know who you work for or where they get their 'tech's from but if I were you I'd never let anyone from that place ever come close to my motorcycle.

Oil consumption 08 wrx 9356 Oil consumption 08 wrx 9356 Oil consumption 08 wrx 9356

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:49 am

OP is an idiot. just to reinforce what everyone else said. i have 9k miles on my x, and it hasnt drank or burned anything noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil consumption 08 wrx   Oil consumption 08 wrx Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil consumption 08 wrx
Page 1 of 1