Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain Adjustment

Go down 
+30
Evol
BCRider
rsteiger
spotted.ninja
cloudbuster
Big-O
skierd
Jersey Devil
dulinor
mash100
f3joel
Navajib
Chief_Lee_Visceral
superbee24
router.exe
Bob
YZEtc
motokid
derm75
10Cup
Jäger
craigq
wildmotha
inspector
mwakey
SheWolf
shredak
MeefZah
ZED
longtallsally
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Chain Adjustment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 am

SheWolf wrote:
To this day I've never had a problem with chain adjustment. I just loosen the nuts and adjust the chain so I have about an inch and a bit between the swingarm and the chain, tighten them up and away I go. Never had any squealing or chain slap. Call it old skool but it worked for me. Chain Adjustment - Page 2 29721

Same here.....never had any issues.

Not until I got the WR that is.
Now it's just chain squeek after every instance when the chain gets wet.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Well I put on my 12T sprocket and it's great! The problem I noticed is that the chain is wearing flat on the inside. I have always had it tensioned by the method in the TSB mentioned above and only have 1200 miles on it. Is it normal for this kind of wear, or do I need to change my tension/lube? My riding is about 80% off road. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:22 pm

You mean that the rounded portions of each link plate is getting ground down a bit?
If so, sounds normal enough.
This can also happen on the outside due to chain guide wear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Right, the round parts are wearing flat. It just seemed unusual for the miles, but I am fairly new to chains. Most of my bikes have been belt drive, so I wanted to make sure I was treating the chain right. Ride more, Worry less!
Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 pm

mwakey wrote:
craigq wrote:
When I checked chain tension/slack after bringing the bike home new from the dealer, it was about 0.5" from the swingarm at various links on the chain when pressing up on the link at the distance specified in the TSB.

Seems like most folks have loose chains from the factory when the bike is new. At least that has been the story so far with the '08's. I would think they would be setting it according to the TSB at the factory for the newer '09 models, but maybe you just got a loose one. I don't have one of those tension gauges. I just take an educated guess at the proper force. Seems to be working good so far.

0.5" is in the range of 8-13mm.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Hate to say it, but I'll be going over there next time I need to adj. my chain. I'm way to lazy to print that little sheet out and it takes me forever to find the info on this site.

*i know, everyones sick of me bringing this up.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: can't tell if my chain tension is right   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 am

Chain Adjustment - Page 2 26728_512705819261_299000872_478810_5702349_n
what do you guys think?

*yes that really is my bike
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 am

That is just perfect! :)
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

You need that much slack to account for the up and down of the rear suspension as you ride down the road. Chain Adjustment - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 am

Did you "back in" to something SM style?
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am

Chief_Lee_Visceral wrote:
Did you "back in" to something SM style?

working my way up to that. Shog

ps....chain/sprox only has 9k miles on it.
Back to top Go down
Navajib

Navajib

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Man, what boots do you ride with and how many miles? That's a lot of frame rub!
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Navajib wrote:
Man, what boots do you ride with and how many miles? That's a lot of frame rub!

decent weather i normally wear dainese torque outs.
piss weather i wear oxtar infinities.
dirty fun i wear forma dominators.

part of it is probably from my stich suit though
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 12:04 am

just gives it some character...
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 am

How did you get 9k on that. You never ride. Chain Adjustment - Page 2 93746
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: whoops   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:42 am

guess i ride the bike harder than i thought i do.

Chain Adjustment - Page 2 2010-04-18%2021.39.32
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 pm

router.exe wrote:
guess i ride the bike harder than i thought i do.

Chain Adjustment - Page 2 2010-04-18%2021.39.32
OMG, how did you manage even to ride 100 yards???!?!!?
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:35 pm

i let the clutch out and gave it some gas? dunno

never really felt it skip....although maybe that's why it was so hoppy when down shifting to lock up the rear.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 pm

This is the updated chain tension adjustment bulletin from Yamaha. From what I was told, this procedure works with lowered bikes.
Chain Adjustment - Page 2 CTP

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun May 02, 2010 11:11 am

This is great - although the HF method seems easier to measure for those of us without specialized tools.

Also - is there a decent tutorial on the adjustment points? I think I get what's going on in there, but the User Manual is a bit vague for those of us who haven't attempted this sort of thing before and the Service manual I have (thanks!) references an adjustment procedure on "page 1-26" which, as far as I can tell, doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun May 02, 2010 2:40 pm

To be honest, I have never used this. I go by feel and really, have never had any problems with my chain. I'm still on the stock one and just over 8000, no side play and still really stiff. Chain Adjustment - Page 2 61865

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun May 02, 2010 3:40 pm

This is really confusing. I downloaded the user manual from Yamaha UK website for 2008 WRX, showing diagram with 40 to 50mm play, & also the manual which was titled WR250R 2009, showing the diagram for the 8 to 13mm free play as per OP. So, is the revised chain adjustment for both X & R, or R only??? If its for both bikes, that means chains have been severely over-tentioned during servicing & also at the factory.
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun May 02, 2010 7:12 pm

OK so the chain tension is set while the bike is leaned on the kickstand? Is that what I am reading from the update?

Just want to make sure. When I swapped my rear tire over to a Distanzia I had someone adjust it according to chain tension while sitting on the bike.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun May 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Yeah, that's what it states. ANd it affect BOTH the WRR and WRX.

WR25RX DG21E-0000002~0002803
WR25RXC DG21Y-0000006~0000457
WR25XX DG22E-0000005~0001733
WR25XXC DG22Y-0000005~0000220

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyMon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for the update Chain Adjustment - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain Adjustment
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next