Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain adjustment with Yamalink

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
emoose

Chain adjustment with Yamalink Empty
PostSubject: Chain adjustment with Yamalink   Chain adjustment with Yamalink EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 am

I just ordered a Yamalink for my Munchkin inseam, but I was thinking...

The website for Yamalink says that the link "moves the rear wheel further into the travel arc". If I understand that correctly, that means that the chain slack (with bike on side stand) would have to be set at more than what's stated in the manual, so that there's still enough slack with the suspension under load.

Is this correct?

Anyone know what the corrected free play in the chain should be (for Yamalink + OEM shock adjustment)?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
mix123

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment with Yamalink   Chain adjustment with Yamalink EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am

I'm putting my yamalink on tomorrow. Anyone that has installed one of these have any input on how much their chain needed adjusting after the install?

Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment with Yamalink   Chain adjustment with Yamalink EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:49 am

Adjust the chain properly including tightening the chain adjusters and rear axle to spec. And then with the chain properly adjusted, go about the task of installing the yamalink without touching the rear axle/chain adjusters. Then measure the chain slack with the yamalink in place and use that as your new measurement for chain slack.

Look at it this way: If you have the chain properly adjusted, you can move the swingarm through the entire arc and the chain will still be properly adjusted.

It might help to think of it as putting some weight on the bike. If the chain was properly adjusted before you put weight on the bike, it will still be properly adjusted after you put weight on the bike. You're not changing the arc itself, you're changing the default position of the swingarm in that arc.
Back to top Go down
emoose

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment with Yamalink   Chain adjustment with Yamalink EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 am

Heoz wrote:
Adjust the chain properly including tightening the chain adjusters and rear axle to spec. And then with the chain properly adjusted, go about the task of installing the yamalink without touching the rear axle/chain adjusters. Then measure the chain slack with the yamalink in place and use that as your new measurement for chain slack.

Duh!!! Shog

I knew there was an easy way to figure this out. It'll involve some extra steps, as I wanted to disassemble and service the swing arm as well, but it's worth it.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment with Yamalink   Chain adjustment with Yamalink EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Let us know the result
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment with Yamalink   Chain adjustment with Yamalink Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment with Yamalink
Page 1 of 1