Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bike Protection Mods Worth It???

Go down 
+18
Boondocker
ed29
eakins
MeefZah
WRoldman
inspector
Jäger
Krabill
BluePill
X-Racer
Midnite171
Matty
skierd
WRXer
clapped_r6
SheWolf
Hertz
BigBird
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BigBird

Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? Empty
PostSubject: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 pm

I, like all of us, have my personal biases. One of them is that I tend to be a minimalist and like to keep things simple and light. Another is that I believe that people are generally overly risk averse and thus worry FAR too much about the bad stuff that COULD happen. They then do things to try to "protect" themselves from these bad things without doing a RISK Calculation. For example they may spend $100 trying to avoid something that would cost them $1,000 IF it happened without considering that the actual probability of it happening to them is maybe 1 in 50. Thus they spend $100 or a risk that is "worth" only $20. (A $1,000 consequence with a 1/50th likelihood is only "worth" $20 on average).

The other factor here is that the action/expenditure to "protect" from the risk usually occurs much earlier that the bad thing (thus they are paying WAY in advance) and, often more importantly, the action/expenditure creates OTHER problems (such as adding weight and complexity that may degrade performance/enjoyability/reliability).

The main bike protection items that I see folks buying for their bikes are listed below ($ and weights approximate). I have NO problem with folks spending their money as they please. I'm just offering a view that MAY encourage some folks hesitate before they plunk down their money (and in some cases degrade their performance).

Protection DeviceCostWeight
Aluminum Skid Pans$1004 lbs.
Radiator Guards$1001/2 lb.
Disk Brake Protectors
Front & Rear
$1001/2 lb.
Case Saver$601/4 lb

The fact that we see dings on Skid Pans (SPs) Disk Brake Guards (DBGs), and Radiator Guards(RGs) does not mean that they have saved us from damage that WOULD have occurred if they were not installed.

The probability of a rock making contact with a SP or DBG is MUCH greater than the probability of a rock making contract with the unguarded Disk or the unguarded Engine because the guards extend well beyond the profile of the Disk or Engine.

Even IF a rock makes contact with a Disk or the Engine, the probability of it doing any real damage is VERY low. In any case, a SP increases the noise, increases the probability of impacting things (because of the larger profile) and adds ~ 4 lbs. of weight to a bike who's main weakness is its high weight.

Disks are very tough items - not easily damaged and almost impossible to damage from a blow in line with the travel of the bike. If they get a side impact they can indeed be bent - but they can also generally be straightened back out and, and even in the VERY unlikely case of severe damage that couldn't be repaired, would not prevent riding the bike as the caliper can just be disconnected or removed. I don't have personal experience in riding motorcycles off road with disk brakes (becuase back in the dark ages when I rode the weren't yet invented :>) but I do have hundreds of miles of disk equipped mountain bike riding in very rock terrain and my only damage has been 1 bent disk that I was able to straighten enough to continue the ride and fix completely at home in my shop.

Engines are not as tough as disks but it still takes a severe blow to damage them. I rode thousands of miles in very rocky terrain on 125cc Pentons with NO engine damage other than cosmetic scratches. These Pentons are MUCH lower to the ground (4" to 6" of suspension travel) and thus are constantly making contact with rocks. On about half of these miles there was NO guard at all and on the other half an 1/8" aluminum plate from the outside of the left frame rail to the outside of the right frame rail provided some protection. This was mostly to keep from flattening the very thin chrome molly frame rails.

Also the engines on the WR250R are way above the frame rails. Thus, a rock must miss the rails and go into the gap in the middle to hit the bottom of the cases. Even then it would take a severe blow to do any real damage. When such damage has occurred on street bikes (like Goldwings) it is usually repairable with JB Weld to seal the oil leakage at virtually no cost. I think the main vulnerability of our engines is on the sides where indeed a skid pan offers some protection - BUT the stock vinyl guards on the bike provide reasonable coverage here and could easily be expanded/extended to increase this coverage a low cost and weight and without adding to the noise.

Radiator Guards (RGs) certainly provide some protection from fontal impact. However, I'd think damage from the front is very unlikely. Many believe RGs provide protection from side blows as in a fall over. My view is that this is highly questionable. The OEM mounts for the radiator allow for a LOT of give thus allowing the radiator to absorb most blows without damage to the structure. Many of the RGs make the radiator structure stronger BUT also make it a rigid mount which negates this ability to absorb impacts. My view is that a simple brace across the lower front of the radiator itself - to make it more crush resistant - but without making the mounting more rigid is the best solution for most of us.

Case Savers (CSs) leave me a little baffled. I suppose it is possible for just the right size rock to get in between the chain and the case and cause case damage. However, it seems highly unlikely and I've never had it happen or seen in happen in many thousands of miles of rock riding. There is also a counter argument that a CG reduces the space around the chain/sprocket and thus increases the chance of trapping a rock?

I predict that many people will respond with stories about the engine that was ruined buy a rock, etc., etc. and I am sure that are some such cases in the real world (though I am unaware of any in the WR250R world so far). However, the point is not to say these bad things NEVER happen. Rather it is to ask if they are so likely to happen to me that I need to take action (which has costs in $ and performance) to try to avoid them. I personally believe that the expenditures for these devices in total FAR exceeds their benefits for the vast majority of folks and for the WR250R community as a whole.

COMMENTS WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Good points to ponder. However, think about this: All of these products were invented and are regularly sold because things can and do happen. If no one ever poked a big pointy rock through their engine do you think companies would sell skid plates?

I'm often in the middle of the woods miles away from cell service when I ride. The piece of mind far out weighs the money or the 5 extra pounds.

ETA: I just figured I'd add that I don't own any of those products. I plan on a skid plate but that's probably it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Hertz wrote:
The piece of mind far out weighs the money or the 5 extra pounds

+10 Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? 61865 I have split a case on a bike from hitting a rock, and it went in between the frame rails. This was on an MX bike, to boot. I've also taken a frontal hit and lost a rad from a jill poke on that same bike. Considering the cost of what these parts accrue, I would rather spend $100 on a skidplate than 10x that or more replacing a case. Rads aren't cheap either; more than $100 you'd spend on the guard. I stand by the saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? 619190

clapped_r6

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:09 pm

have you ever crashed really hard, a long way from home?

doesn't sound like it!

skidplate: yeah, if you never hoist your bike over rocks and logs, leave it off. 2mm of aluminum should do it!
case saver: that's not for rocks per se, but when (if) your chain breaks it (sometimes) stops the cases from being smashed!
rad guards: if you crash hard enough, they do bend and usually break, or at least spring a leak. 20 more miles? no problem!
disc brake protectors: IF you ride with baby head rocks, these can definitely help. a bent disc is no fun!

i have everything but the DBP, i'm not really taking mine on "real" dirtbike trails, and IMHO they're a PITA.

the other guards, for the way i ride (usually crashing!) are IMHO necessary.

i mean, look at where the wr's water pump is! it's really exposed. in fact, on a ride last week i fell onto a big rock on the right side, which was forceful enough to bend my flatland skidplate to where it made contact with the water pump. i'm going to add a little wedge of rubber there so it doesn't happen again.

yes, one can go overboard with all the guards, but they do have their place.

ride hard? like a dirt bike? get the stuff, or at least comfortable boots!
if not, save 5lbs!
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:47 pm

+ 1 on being in the middle of no where & wishing you had a 2lb, $80 skid plate.

You don't need to poke a rock though the engine case to reap the benefit of a skid plate. If you have seen the bottom of any well used off-road or MX bike you would see often the frame rails are dented or even completey flattened from impact be it from rocks off road or even dirt bumps on a MX track. There is also nothing like a mild tip over to tweak a radiator & ruin that week long trip on day 1 that you planned for six months, took off work for, drove 500 miles, booked a hotel, & have 4 other guys standing around waiting on you & your crushed bike because your cost analysis said it would payoff in the end, etc etc.

A case saver is not about rocks, its about when your chain breaks it keeps it from flying through the engine case. I have seen many a pic of totaled cases because it looked so cool to run without the countershaft cover. If you want to ditch the cover fine but put the case saver back, not even JB weld can fix that one Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? Icon_rolleyes . Your also assuming you JB weld your crushed case before you starve it of oil & sieze it.

Boy scouts anyone? Always be prepared. Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? 29721
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:03 am

WRXer wrote:
A case saver is not about rocks, its about when your chain breaks it keeps it from flying through the engine case.

Thanks for the education. As I said case savers baffel me :>)

Now that I know what they are for - can anyone tell me what would cause a properly maitained modern O-Ring chain to break (and fly through the engine case)????

I have seen Non O-Ring and/or poorly maintained chains loose a master link and run off the coutershaft onto the ground.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 am

I appreciate the emotions involved in this RISK adversity tendency we all have. I also encourage the stories of the bad things we've had or hear about happening as we can all try to learn from these expereinces.

However to make this thread have meaninful credibility we need some real DATA.

Thus I ask that each of you that reads this therad and that HAS ACTUALLY HAD DAMAGE DONE TO THIER WR250R THAT THEY THINK A SKID PAN, CASE SAVER, DISK BRAKE GUARD OR RADIATOR GUARD PLEASE INCLUE A NOTE IN THIS THREAD ABOUT THAT DAMAGE. PLEASE LIMIT THIS TO YOUR WR250R (not the Honda you read about on the internet, or the Hodaka you had as a kid, etc.) This will give us an idea of how vulnerable these bikes really are.

Similarly each of you that believes they have PREVENTED DAMAGE TO THEIR WR250R AS A RESULT OF HAVEING ONE OF THESE DEVICES INCLUDE A NOTE EXPLAINING THE SITUATION, ETC. AGAIN PLEASE LIMIT THIS TO YOUR WR250R (not the Honda you read about on the internet or the Hodaka you had as a kid, etc.) This will give us and idea on what you believe is working.

THANKS!
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 am

Mostly from the first WRR...

Seen plenty of gouges and scrapes on the GYTR disk guards, including having to bend the front one back out away from the rotor, from various hits and crashes off road.

I've got a big gouge in my case saver from... something (this bike).

Ended up high centered on many a log and more than a few rocks, saved by the skid plate (especially from a big hit I took on the TAT going up Hancock pass).

Dumped the bike in a snow storm hard on the right side, no damage to the rad. Numerous other crashes or tip overs on and off road and nary a squeak from the rad or guards.

You're coming to the DAMN reunion right? deal
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 1:37 am

You're coming to the DAMN reunion right? deal

Yes sir and look forward to meeting the famous SKIERD!
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Think about motorcycle/car/health insurance. You pay for it, and hope you never need to use it. Same goes for our bikes. Having those protection parts is like peace of mind. Cause there's always that what if factor.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Matty wrote:
Think about motorcycle/car/health insurance. You pay for it, and hope you never need to use it. Same goes for our bikes. Having those protection parts is like peace of mind. Cause there's always that what if factor.

My PERSONAL view of motorcycle/car insurance (other than liability) is buy if ONLY if you can't stand the loss. This is because in the long run it costs much more than self insurance because of Commissions, Profit, Administrative Expenses and subsequent Hiked Up Rates - not to mention all the hassel of collecting the claims from the insurance company.

However (less for the various "overheads" listed above) things like car insurance pay out MOST of what they take in becuause permiums are set based on losses over time.

My BELIEF is that people collecively (and usually individually) spend MANY MANY TIMES more on things like Skid Pans, Radiator Guards, Case Savers than what they "save" by avoiding damage (and they suffer a performace degradation in the process).

For example IF we assumed that a $100 Radiator Guard might prevent the unrepariable destruction of a $178 OEM radiator - we'd have to believer that 1 in 2 folks would experience that damage without the gurard AND THAT THE GUARD WOULD PREVENT THE DAMAGE (questionable). I'd bet the number is closer to 1 in 500 that will ever experience the destruction of a radiator and in many cases that would occur even with the gurad.

Think of it this way. Therre are THOUSANDS of WR250Rs on these boards and how many times have we read of engine cases seriously damaged, brake disks destroyed, radiators requireing replacement, etc.

IF I could figure out a way to sell insurance to all these folks at 1/2 the cost of the Protective Parts I THINK I'd be getting RICH!!!
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm

BigBird wrote:

My BELIEF is that people collecively (and usually individually) spend MANY MANY TIMES more on things like Skid Pans, Radiator Guards, Case Savers than what they "save" by avoiding damage (and they suffer a performace degradation in the process).

For example IF we assumed that a $100 Radiator Guard might prevent the unrepariable destruction of a $178 OEM radiator - we'd have to believer that 1 in 2 folks would experience that damage without the gurard AND THAT THE GUARD WOULD PREVENT THE DAMAGE (questionable). I'd bet the number is closer to 1 in 500 that will ever experience the destruction of a radiator and in many cases that would occur even with the gurad.

Think of it this way. Therre are THOUSANDS of WR250Rs on these boards and how many times have we read of engine cases seriously damaged, brake disks destroyed, radiators requireing replacement, etc.

IF I could figure out a way to sell insurance to all these folks at 1/2 the cost of the Protective Parts I THINK I'd be getting RICH!!!

That is all very logical. What you need to understand is that most of those thousands of WR250R's get rode in the middle of no where. I agree those events are highly unlikely. But if you just said ah forget protective parts it will never happen to me, you'd be kicking yourself in the face if you did poke a rock through your case, had to leave your bike sit in the middle of the woods, and walk however many miles to get service/help. On top of that you cant ride until you get it fixed.

Its just not a situation anyone wants to be in, correct? Hence the reason protective parts exist.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:38 pm

I certainly won't be happy IF I'm unfortunate enough to poke a hole through my case - BUT I just sold my skid pan to another member - SO I'm "living dangerously" :>)

Actually the reason I sold it wasn't the $ - Rather it was the weight (and to a lesser extent the noise). I really like the bike but TO ME it seems TOO heavy so I put it on a diet as best I could and I'm happy to "take my chances" I may extend the plastic side protectors a little and - IF I get ambitious - put a thin aluminum or lexan plate on the bottom - similar to the Yamaha version of a skid pan.

I think $100 more dollars and 4 more pounds of RIDER protective gear is a LOT more important to ME than worrying about bike damage (but maybe that's because I'm 67 years old and don't heal so quickly anymore)!
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Good points from all. My radiator on my CR 250 got nailed with a rock years ago and that was a costly repair (replacement actually). I don't have a radiator guard on my WR because I figured out how NOT to get hit by a rock in the radiator; Always be in front of everybody else!!!!! wink
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 am

BigBird wrote:

I think $100 more dollars and 4 more pounds of RIDER protective gear is a LOT more important to ME than worrying about bike damage (but maybe that's because I'm 67 years old and don't heal so quickly anymore)!

Good thought as well.

I think the bottom line here is personal preference. If you want it, get it, if you don't see the need for it, spend the money elsewhere. Everyone has a different opinion.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 am

IMO: Adding "preventives" to your bike has no consideration for either cost or weight.

It is entirely, and exclusively all about "saving the ride".

If you are planning on going out all day long would you plan to fill your hydration pack up half-way to conserve 4 lbs ? ....or forego it completely thinking perhaps you won't get thirsty ?

The analogy is somewhat different of course, but the basis of the consideration is preservation of your self during the ride therefore enhancing the enjoyment and experience.

It's not much fun being in the proverbial "Last Chance Canyon" and spend the day attempting to get your bike out, or worse, can't get out and having to spend the night out. ...at which time of course you'd spend all that money to BUY your way out !

Midnite171: Your logic is flawed. ...but entertaining !
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks X-Racer, that's what I was going for. My buddy who rides an RM 250 kicks up so much roost, I not only need protection for my bike, I need full body armor. I've had a cracked headlight, radiator, fingers and even googles while riding with this guy. Alot of damage comes from other riders. But now that I am older with an ex-wife, kids, mortgage and girlfriend, I can't buy replacent parts like I used to. And I want my WR to last me a long time so I am slowly buying protection for it one piece at a time.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:39 pm

No, it's not a WRR - It's a Husky. Broken case due to chain failure. More common on larger engines than on small ones. Just to show that it can happen, but imo not likely on a wrr with a quality chain that is well maintaned.

Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? Huskycase
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I've got a buddy with a KLX250 and he never really saw a need for a skidplate, much like yourself. That is, until about a year ago when we were riding in Arkansas and he holed the bottom of his case. Stopped him dead on the trail. I gave him my epoxy stick and told him to get to work while I rode all the way back to camp to get a quart of oil to re-fill his case. I'd much rather spend my time riding the trails than doing a trip back to camp to get more oil, so yeah, there is no question my bike will always have a skidplate on it.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

BluePill: Unfortunately all the prevention mods in the world does not replace good ole routine maintenance and replacement of worn parts. By looking at the condition of that sprocket (not to mention missing case bolt) it was destined to happen.

Midnite: There is substantial truth to bike and body damage incurred by bikes in front of you. I had a baseball size rock lodged in a headlight and another blow through a handguard and split my finger wide-open requiring four stitches. ...and congratulations on the lifestyle. Been there, rode 'that trail'. Welcome to the rest of your life ! Cheers....

P.S. Goggles too ? You're s'pose to duck (bill) when you hear the guy in front of you get on it ! That's what that thing on the front of your helmet is for !

Anyone know of anyone who makes any nice looking special fit, or universal light guards ? Plexiglass or otherwise ?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 pm

BigBird wrote:

I suspect the actuaries have probably figured out that you couldn't sell insurance at half the cost as you imagine and still make a profit once they start paying off claims. Otherwise, they would already be doing it...

In your calculations, where do you figure in a broken down bike 60 miles from nowhere? What is that going to cost - just in cash, let's not even talk about "How the hell do I get out of here" and "How the hell do I recover my bike to where it can be put in running condition again".

I have Ivan's case savers, the Ricochet skid plate, the Force rad guard, Cycra hand guards, and disk guards. So what does that total? I can't remember, about $400 I guess. And spread over the life of the bike if I run it for years as I normally do... ten years... let's see... $40/year. Is peace of mind while I'm out in the middle of nowhere worth $40? Yup. Is some insurance that I won't be making another 60-70 mile hike back out to civilization worth $40/year? Yup.

$400 is nothing when compared to what I will spend on gas, maintenance, rubber, chains, sprockets, etc. Not to mention if I'm on a ride that I've been planning for months and then lose a day or two because I broke something that a protective piece of kit would have prevented... where is the economy in that?

If you never ride other than places where recovery is easy, then I can see the economy in forgoing the protective stuff. I've broken enough bikes in the past that I don't think twice about throwing on the protective aftermarket stuff. In fact, it aggravates me that bikes don't come from the factory with realistic protective gear.

And if I'm worried about the extra 5 lbs... I'll go on a diet.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Jäger wrote:
BigBird wrote:

I suspect the actuaries have probably figured out that you couldn't sell insurance at half the cost as you imagine and still make a profit once they start paying off claims. Otherwise, they would already be doing it...

In your calculations, where do you figure in a broken down bike 60 miles from nowhere? What is that going to cost - just in cash, let's not even talk about "How the hell do I get out of here" and "How the hell do I recover my bike to where it can be put in running condition again".

I have Ivan's case savers, the Ricochet skid plate, the Force rad guard, Cycra hand guards, and disk guards. So what does that total? I can't remember, about $400 I guess. And spread over the life of the bike if I run it for years as I normally do... ten years... let's see... $40/year. Is peace of mind while I'm out in the middle of nowhere worth $40? Yup. Is some insurance that I won't be making another 60-70 mile hike back out to civilization worth $40/year? Yup.

$400 is nothing when compared to what I will spend on gas, maintenance, rubber, chains, sprockets, etc. Not to mention if I'm on a ride that I've been planning for months and then lose a day or two because I broke something that a protective piece of kit would have prevented... where is the economy in that?

If you never ride other than places where recovery is easy, then I can see the economy in forgoing the protective stuff. I've broken enough bikes in the past that I don't think twice about throwing on the protective aftermarket stuff. In fact, it aggravates me that bikes don't come from the factory with realistic protective gear.

And if I'm worried about the extra 5 lbs... I'll go on a diet.

+100 Perfectly put.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 pm

BigBird wrote:
I appreciate the emotions involved in this RISK adversity tendency we all have. I also encourage the stories of the bad things we've had or hear about happening as we can all try to learn from these expereinces.

Thus I ask that each of you that reads this therad and that HAS ACTUALLY HAD DAMAGE DONE TO THIER WR250R THAT THEY THINK A SKID PAN, CASE SAVER, DISK BRAKE GUARD OR RADIATOR GUARD PLEASE INCLUE A NOTE IN THIS THREAD ABOUT THAT DAMAGE. PLEASE LIMIT THIS TO YOUR WR250R (not the Honda you read about on the internet, or the Hodaka you had as a kid, etc.) This will give us an idea of how vulnerable these bikes really are.

THANKS!

Now approaching 300 views and NO DATA on damage reports so far!
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:09 pm

BigBird wrote:
BigBird wrote:

THANKS!

Did you just skip right over my post? Or miss the busted case right above mine from the chain? This stuff does happen.

Busted case leaking oil . . . he went out and bought a skid plate after this. Doesn't really help after the fact, though. And imagine if I wasn't there to go run and get him some oil?

Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? 2ntwu2e

Here's the stock KLX skid plate. Didn't help much. Like I said, he went out and bought a proper aftermarket skid plate as soon as he got home. And just because this is a KLX and not a WRR, don't think for a second that this can't happen to you.

Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? 34h71w1
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Quote :

If there is a lack of damage reports its because we use protection. We will leave the damage posts to you Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? 942737

As I posted before, look at the bottom of that KLX even without the oil dripping hole. Is that how you want the bottom of your bike to look?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike Protection Mods Worth It???   Bike Protection Mods Worth It??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bike Protection Mods Worth It???
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next