Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!

Go down 
+11
BBRadar
SheWolf
greer
CurtisC
deerHater
YZEtc
duanew
X-Racer
WRXer
motokid
dulinor
15 posters
AuthorMessage
dulinor

Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! Empty
PostSubject: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Ok so everything was working fine, but, being an idiot, I went out and bought a new torque wrench that would cover the range for the oil filter cover bolts and the drain bolt. Went to tighten up to spec'd torque and... Snap on the top one. Nothing's fallen apart yet but what are my options here? How do I extract that bolt? I'm truck and trailer-less so getting to the dealership not really an option. I somehow suspect riding it down (20 miles for closest option) is unwise.

D'oh!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Yep.

I did this too. <-- clicky

Those bolts are very very soft.

Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! 640571

I removed the oil cover and there was enough of the snapped bolt sticking out to get vice grips on it and I could spin it back out that way.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dulinor

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 pm

I'll try that. Was the consensus in the thread that M6x1.00 hex bolts would suffice as replacements/upgrades?

Sigh. That oil change only got me around the block, now I do it again.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Try a small left hand drill bit
Back to top Go down
dulinor

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Home Depot is open late and amazingly someone helped me find a handy dandy screw extractor and replacement bolts. I'm back in business and the torque wrench is put away never to bother me again for such delicate jobs.

Thanks for the tips.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:34 am

How about trying a small-handed torque application.

although specified there are very few fasteners on a bike that actually require accurate torque applications.

They are usually limited to the cylinder, head and valve train components.

Most everything else can be subjectively torqued to a "hand feel" calibration. There should be a PM check on the remainder such as the sprocket and "active" components (e.g. spokes do not have torque requirements but can be checked as a simple function of a 'tuning fork' assessment whereby you spin the wheels and 'ping' the spoke. If it does not 'resonate' and sounds 'dead' / 'dull' and resonate sounding all the same> it is loose)

You won't have a torque wrench all the time. Get the feel and use that as your gauge.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 am

I love torque wrenches, but they can get you into trouble. You have to make sure that you keep your inch/lbs and ft/lbs seperate and make sure that you have the right torque rating for that bolt. I have three torque wrenches and not one of them will work for the 50 inch/lbs (I am guessing here) for the small cover bolts and the 7.2 ft/lbs for the oil drain bolt. Their ranges are too different to work properly.

Last edited by duanew on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

oil filter cover bolts: 7.2 ft•lb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dulinor

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 pm

And just because your wrench says 5-80 ft/lbs, does not mean you should assume it is at all accurate down low. I had mine set to 5, but clearly the wrong tool for the job.

Aside from a moment of panic, not too bad though - new hex bolts $.60 and the screw removers was $2.50 or so. I wasted one set of cheap Wal Mart oil and about an hour of high heart rate. Cheap lesson, all told.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am

motokid wrote:
oil filter cover bolts: 7.2 ft•lb
The spec is that low? I will change my post to reflect this value. With a long wrench it won't feel like you have tightened it at that spec.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:07 pm

That spec. is typical for the 6mm bolts.

I quit using a torque wrench for stuff like this many moons ago when I had my own episode to deal with as a teenager.
Now, I rarely use one, and when I do, it's for things like a cylinder head.

You'd need a tiny torque wrench that's specially intended to handle only the itty-bitty stuff if you insisted on using one. :)
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:07 pm

My small torque wrench is 20-250 inch/pounds. That's 1.7-20.8 foot/pounds. (0.083333 conversion)
My big torque wrench is 50-250 foot/pounds.

Currently I'm looking for a 10-80 foot/pounds torque wrench.
Torque wrenches are usually +- 4 %

It's definitely better to use the right size, not at the very end of the range.
Years ago I snapped a clutch bolt on a GS1100E using the lowest setting of a too-big torque wrench. Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! 9356
Back to top Go down
CurtisC

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue May 04, 2010 6:59 pm

I did the same thing and snapped bolt off. drove it with 2 bolts to the shop and they got it out but it cast me $50. Shit happens but they really make those bolts soft. lesson learned.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue May 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks for posting, everybody. I'm going to be EASY on those bolts.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:22 pm

I just did an oil change and all I do is take the ratchet and snug them up a little, no more. So far, no broken bolts.

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 5:50 am

I just snapped one of mine with a torque wrench - I wish I saw this thread earlier. That's the last time I use it on any small bolts.
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 pm

No torque wrench. Just used a mini rachet set. Tightened them snug. Then gave them about 1/8th of a turn more. That is it. No issues.

Mike
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 am

deerHater wrote:
My small torque wrench is 20-250 inch/pounds. That's 1.7-20.8 foot/pounds. (0.083333 conversion)
My big torque wrench is 50-250 foot/pounds.

Currently I'm looking for a 10-80 foot/pounds torque wrench.
Torque wrenches are usually +- 4 %

It's definitely better to use the right size, not at the very end of the range.
Years ago I snapped a clutch bolt on a GS1100E using the lowest setting of a too-big torque wrench. Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! 9356
I just read the fine print on a torque wrench: accurate to about 3 %, ONLY in the 20-100 % range of the torque wrench.
Definitely do NOT use the lowest end of torque wrenches.
Back to top Go down
Dave Bell

Dave Bell

PostSubject: 6 ft. pounds   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 4:03 pm

is the amount of torque I can apply with my wrist on an allen wrench held completely in the hand. Probably with a little more grunt I can get to 7. Any application that has an O ring in it is dependent on the O ring, not too tight bolts.

db
Back to top Go down
dnf

dnf

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Torque wrenches need to be calibrated and there can be quite a difference in readings between two identical wrenches.
They also can lose calibration.
Back to top Go down
TDRider

PostSubject: Shoulda read the post....   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 7:43 pm

I just did exactly the same thing... doh! I need to spend more time on the forum! Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!   Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover! Empty

Back to top Go down

Augh! Snapped off a bolt for the oil filter cover!
Page 1 of 1