Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Security

Go down 
+15
UtahFox
Jäger
mnormand
andrewlat
keith_mahoney
yellowredlight
R_Lefebvre
X-Racer
treeklimber
texasreb
drater
SheWolf
3KGT_Maddness
Matty
Ozy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozy

Ozy

Security Empty
PostSubject: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 am

I'm not sure about the U.S. but in Australia we have a 'Stolen bike registry' online and tonight while surfing the net I stumbled upon it and I was blown away at the amount of bikes that are stolen and reading the descriptions and details I was even more blown away at the lengths scum bag thieves will go to like cutting chains, breaking into garages while home owners are home/sleeping, stealing trailers that are attached to cars, stealing kids bikes in camping grounds etc etc.

So the point of my post is what are your preferred methods and recommendations for bike security?

Cheers,

Mark.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 am

Haven't really searched that out... but motorcycle thefts out in the US are up there.

I've personally seen a mini-van pull up to a group of parked motorcycles, either 2 or 3 guys jump out, throw a bike into the back, and take off. Twice!!!!

The first time they were so fast that nobody could get to them and stop what was happening. Another time, myself and 4 other friends were eating lunch at a restuarant outside with our bikes parked along the street out front so we could see. well, there was another group of guys across the street doing the samething. All of a sudden a mini-van stopped, 2 guys jumped out and grabbed one of their bikes. We got up and ran across the street but the guy who owned the bike and his friends already had it handled. The minivan took off with one of the guys but the other got a nice few "accidentel" kicks to the face before the cops showed up.
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am

I too am worried about theft of my bike.

One thing I was thinking about getting is a device that has a loud siren and is lean sensor.

I have something like it now that I am going to try using. It has a wire loop attached to it with a 4 number scrolling lock. When the loop is connected and the numbers are scrambled, the device is armed. If the device is wiggled, it will chirp until a certain point when it will finally sound the alarm. It is pretty loud but I cannot figure out how to make it more sensitive to movement.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 am

lo-jack.

yes, it works well on sportbikes. not so sure about ours as it might be a lil difficult to hide the lil transponder.

Or just never take your eye off the bike!!!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:49 am

When at home I cable and chain it to my house along with my quad. When out and about, I park it right up alongside the building in front of the windows where everyone can see it. Some customers get pissy cause I have it parked on the sidewalk but when confronted with 'are you going to pay for a replacement when someone goes to rip it off?' They back down and their attitude does a 180.

drater

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:49 pm

i hear you shewolf! im the same way, those bikes are wanted items.
Back to top Go down
texasreb

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm

What's the stolen bike web address? I know people from down under and would be curious to see it.
Back to top Go down
treeklimber

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 am

I definitely lock the steering and click in one of those beefy rotor locks with the flourescent 'reminder' cable hooked over the handlebars. Now I know the bright cable looks silly but use it, trust me. On previous bike with no bright cable 2 times I got on it and went to take off and about folded over the handlebars.

The second time was the worst. Buddy and I hauled by bike up to the top of Middle Fork Rd. of the Snoqualmie River, about 18 bumpy miles in. Did some riding then locked it up and hiked for a while. When done Allen's stoked to drive the dually so I send him down the road, it was just dusk. Went to take off on the bike and you thought I would have learned from the first time! Went running down the hill waving and screaming at Allen as he disappeared over the crest. I found a good rock to try to break it off that POS chinese dualsport and when I grabbed ahold it just popped open!! I had him chased down in the first mile.

Security 851577
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:10 am

texasreb wrote:
What's the stolen bike web address? I know people from down under and would be curious to see it.

Here you go.... http://www.stolendirtbikes.com.au/

and I just bought one of these..... 120dB Security 810411

Security 77_1

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XZZSeries/XZZ6LYellow/page1/

Last edited by Ozy on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 am

While at home our primary security system consists of an Aussie Shepard and a locked garage.

Nothing moves near or by the house (sidewalk) without her telling me in a low-pitched, non-alarming growl. If I'm asleep she'll get my attention. If her space is violated (anyone comes even close to the door) she'll go off. No one in the "right" mind will come any further.

Enter stage two (people in an un-right mind): If case of "barking", the .45 is enabled. Not for concern of property, but life ( Welcome to L.A.) - shoot first, ask questions later.

In transit the bikes is/are in a known safe/secure area and/or locked to the ground and has a cover on it (Theory: If you can't see it it may discourage the desire to steal it).

Otherwise I have a visual on the bike at all times.

There are some brilliant minds here ( besides mine Security 810411) . I'd suggest (besides lock-down systems) that what we all (all bikers with key/fork lock systems) need is a lockable keyed plug-in device - you can't "jimmy" the lock if you can't get to it.
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:31 am

X-Racer wrote:
While at home our primary security system consists of an Aussie Shepard and a locked garage.

An Aussie Shepard Security 93746 Security 61865
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 am

I have one of those and they're great.

Pro: Loud as shit if your bike gets moved!

Con: Loud as shit if the wind blows your tire a lil.
Also, when the battery starts to die the alarm goes off for no reason. I was awaken in the middle of the night one time to the alarm going off. Threw on some pants, grabbed a bat, and ran to my detached garage to find my bike chillin. I took the disk lock off and the alarm stopped. pushed the key back in, alarm went off. finally took the batteries out and have been using it that way ever since.

Oh and i always throw the disk lock on the rear rotor. Much harder to lift the rear wheel and move the bike around especially if you lock the streering. but one good kick to the front wheel and you can break the steering lock. but again it's still harder to lift the rear end up and move the bike than the front.

What sux, is that if a piece of shit criminal wants your bike, he'll get it. Or at least break it trying to steal it.

Ozy wrote:
texasreb wrote:

Here you go.... http://www.stolendirtbikes.com.au/

and I just bought one of these..... 120dB Security 810411

Security 77_1

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XZZSeries/XZZ6LYellow/page1/
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 11:31 am

+10 on the Aussie! I have one too, and an Akita. Both are right close to the toys and are great deterrents. Security 61865
Matty wrote:

What sux, is that if a piece of shit criminal wants
your bike, he'll get it. Or at least break it trying to steal
it.
How so very true...if they want it, they'll go to any lengths to get it. You could tie a Rotti to it, they'd kill the dog and still get the bike. Now you're out a dog AND a bike. Security 724854

Matty

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 12:25 pm

SheWolf wrote:

How so very true...if they want it, they'll go to any lengths to get it. You could tie a Rotti to it, they'd kill the dog and still get the bike. Now you're out a dog AND a bike. Security 724854

Now why you got to go and talk about dogs being killed??? I had to go give my girl a hug. Ya, i know you were kidding. Honestly, I just wanted a reason to post a pic of my 1 year old girl. lol.

Ain't she cute!??!

Security Puppy34

Security Puppy24
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Security 342500 Omg...a boxer....I lost my 3 year old girl a couple of years ago, right in my arms. She looked just like yours....

Matty

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Security 342500 Omg...a boxer....I lost my 3 year old girl a couple of years ago, right in my arms. She looked just like yours....

awh... i'm sorry.
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:31 pm

I dunno. I have insurance. I try to keep it secure, but won't lose any sleep over it.
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm

full coverage, 1911 .45 acp and a rotti behind a locked house. Im not going to lose sleep over it
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Matty wrote:

Con: Loud as shit if the wind blows your tire a lil.

You're not wrong.... I put it on yesterday but still had a standard non alarmed disc lock on the same rotor and when I tried to take the standard one off (very gently) to put it on the front, the alarmed lock went off right in my ear Security 640571

Last edited by Ozy on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 9:28 pm

What?? Security 851577

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 am

I use one of these on each bike https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1002&pid=1169

and my Buell has an alarm which has a perimeter sensor and a pager. You don't even have to touch my bike to set it off and I will get a loud page which lets me and my pit know to run to the garage with gun.
Back to top Go down
andrewlat

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 5:09 am

I'm envisioning something that is installed under the seat, with a trip sensor that goes off if the seat is removed, an accelerometer to sense if the bike happens to move/tip/etc., and hooks into the key system. Whenever the key is engaged, the alarm is disengaged and vice versa. You could even get really crazy and have something that connects to any available wifi network and calls you through something like Twilio if the alarm goes off. You could even throw in GPS tracking, or have your phone (if it has bluetooth) be the "key".

Does something like this exist? Anyone think there's any utility in it over regular security systems? WIth about $100, I could build something like this, even with the crazier features.
Back to top Go down

Security Empty
PostSubject: Xena Disc-Lock - need wheel brake hole size   Security EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 11:50 pm

I am considering getting a motion sensor/front wheel lock for the WR250R. However, they have models with different configurations.

Perhaps someone has the specs on it...does the WR250R have the range of the locking pin size from 6 mm to 18 mm?
Is the distance from the locking-pin to th back of the disc-slot range from 42mm to 65 mm?

Thanks!

Fred

PS The product called is Xena Disc Lock
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Fred,

Ive got one..... Security 810411

address is below for the website.

Ozy wrote:
texasreb wrote:

I just bought one of these..... 120dB Security 810411

Security 77_1

rider1a wrote:
I am considering getting a motion sensor/front wheel lock for the WR250R. However, they have models with different configurations.

Perhaps someone has the specs on it...does the WR250R have the range of the locking pin size from 6 mm to 18 mm?
Is the distance from the locking-pin to th back of the disc-slot range from 42mm to 65 mm?

Thanks!

Fred

PS The product called is Xena Disc Lock
Back to top Go down
mnormand

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:55 pm

I have that Zena yellow disk lock too. And a large cable and padlock to a post.

But I want more while at home. Something like a hidden motion sensor somewhere on the bike, that immediately lights up a very loud hidden siren or horn mounted nearby. Something that immediately goes off when bike is moved under my open carport. Don't need that warning chirp, just let 'er rip. Not too worried about this on the road, just parked at home. I'm getting concerned with encroaching local thievery, especially with this local economy about to get worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security Empty

Back to top Go down

Security
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next