Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First Hick-up in Starting

Go down 
+2
3KGT_Maddness
M1A Rifleman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
M1A Rifleman

First Hick-up in Starting Empty
PostSubject: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 pm

I had my first hick-up in starting this morning. With 650 miles on the clock the bike stalled as I was starting off and it took several thumbs of the button to get going. I figure it was cold and may have flooded, but it was still an odd occurance as it has always fired up First Hick-up in Starting Icon_scratch . After this, I rode it 25 miles to work at all speeds from 68+ to 5 mph with no problems and it ran great.
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Couple things...

Our bikes cannot be flooded or be too cold. Those are carbed bike problems, not FI.

More than likely you tried starting the bike before the fuel pump was able to prime the system, thats all. I have tried starting it quickly after stalling and it always takes much longer than just letting the fuel pump prime.

Now get back out and ride! First Hick-up in Starting 61865
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm

3KGT_Maddness wrote:
Couple things...

Our bikes cannot be flooded or be too cold. Those are carbed bike problems, not FI.

More than likely you tried starting the bike before the fuel pump was able to prime the system, thats all. I have tried starting it quickly after stalling and it always takes much longer than just letting the fuel pump prime.

Now get back out and ride! First Hick-up in Starting 61865

Hmm. I have stalled when it was warm and never had a problem as it alway fired up quick. This morning I went around our block to get to the main road, and this is where it stalled, so I'm sure the engine was not up to prime temperature.

When it stalls, the fuel pump should still be primed should it not as its not like turning the key on and off.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm

I don't think it was the cold either. I can be riding in the hills all day, stall it and sometimes it takes a few jabs at the button to start. Just one of those things, no biggy. The bike doesn't particularly like to be stalled...but she still starts.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks. I hope it was just one of those things, and nothing to worry about, but it did startle my confidence. First Hick-up in Starting 490865
In the early 80's as a kid I had a 1971 Yamaha DT 250 2-stroke Dual Sport and it was indestructable and always started period, not to mention simple to wrench-on. I just hope this bike is proves to be as reliable.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Totally know what you mean by the confidence thing.

I'll be 40miles out in the middle of nowhere on my own and something like that happens. But honestly, I beat the crap out of my bike and she hasn't let me down yet. There will always be issues here and there with a few people, but on the whole I think it really is a great bike and very reliably.
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:17 pm

I've had difficulty restarting after a stall when the engine is hot too. I always chalk it up to the computer strategy possibly not taking into account the engine coolant temp when you hit the starter. It's not been a problem so far, but I haven't stalled it out on anything steep yet either. First Hick-up in Starting 640571
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 pm

I figured out yesterday after a couple of stalls...it's how you restart it, meaning it is a fuel thing (10points to 3kgt).
Jab at the start button enough and it will pressurize the fuel lines. OR just turn off the key and back on so the fuel pump is primed and it will start right away every time.

*It's too much of a pain to turn the key off then on if it's just a simple stall so I just hit the starter.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:42 am

inspector wrote:
I figured out yesterday after a couple of stalls...it's how you restart it, meaning it is a fuel thing (10points to 3kgt).
Jab at the start button enough and it will pressurize the fuel lines. OR just turn off the key and back on so the fuel pump is primed and it will start right away every time.

*It's too much of a pain to turn the key off then on if it's just a simple stall so I just hit the starter.
+1 thumb
My clutch control is so amazing that I hardly ever stall poser2 BUT: when it has happened on a couple of occasions, I have found that 'resetting' everything by turning the key off & then going through the whole startup procedure of whirring pump & dash lights, she starts up fine. No difference if its hot or cold....
I had exactly the same experience as OP both when pulling out of my driveway when below freezing, & also when pulling out of petrol station when engine was very hot & air temp of 28 C (80 F ???)
I believe the reset procedure is probably the best for the bike, as it strains the starter motor less - although probably very marginal.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 am

You guys are probably right on the key-reset of the fuel pump. I seem to stall off from stop lights while day dreaming. The idea of waiting longer to fire up because I ma turning off/on the key and waiting for the pump = more stop light embarrasment. First Hick-up in Starting 158507
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:44 am

I had that a bit with the 13t up there but going to the 12 seemed to eliminate that. I remember staling the one time with the 13t and went to hit the starter and hit the horn instead. Guy on the Harley in front of me asked if I needed a push. poser2

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:46 am

Yes, I have done the horn thing as well when attempting to hit the blinkers. First Hick-up in Starting 724854 . Now when I do this I simply look around with a "yea what" look.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Hick-up in Starting   First Hick-up in Starting Empty

Back to top Go down

First Hick-up in Starting
Page 1 of 1