Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info

Go down 
+46
Niewski11
pbnut
silentwolf
miniceptor86
motocrossmann
BuilderBob
wildhair
ROK
dc4stroke
jeffpack1957
Jäger
YZEtc
Akasy
Medski
0007onWR
NihonWRX
mattf
Farmer17
RichardU
mtntrails
RT3856
ZED
Machtig
Crazy Monkey
King Wolf
matttys
28marcb
bikepsych
lukachuki
PonchoV
malibu_dan
boogn1sh
Thumpthing Old
eakins
Noppy
Money$hift
WRoldman
sswrx
asheville thumper
dmulk
Crawdaddy
mtb
jacque372
greer
Pancho
dbparti
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
dbparti

dbparti

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Empty
PostSubject: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Just had the 290cc Big Bore Kits from Athena installed on my WR250R today. I bought the kit from my local Yamaha dealer for $770.00, they charged me 4 hours labor for the install. The kit comes with a EFI fuel management pre programmed for the kit. I did not install it since I have a FMF Programmer. I picked my bike up this afternoon road it home about 15 miles. I took it pretty easy for the first 10 miles, and did not really go past half throttle. I am very impressed with the increased torque. The last few miles to the house, I opened it up in six gear to about 3/4 throttle. I hit 82 indicated on level ground which is actually 77mph. I had plenty of throttle left and the engine was not loading down at all. I cant wait to put some miles on tomorrow, I could not get the smile off my face when I got home. I did a lot of research about whether to go with a TR or Athena Big Bore. Just FYI the mechanics that installed the kit said the kit was very well made and complete. There was a post on Thumper talk that said the Athena cylinder skirt was only 1.5mm compared to the TR that is 3mm, that is incorrect, the Athena is 3mm. Below are the mods on my WR before todays mod.

2008 WR250R:

FMF Programmer
FMF Q4
FMF PowerBomb
AIS removed
Flapper/solenoid removed
K&N Air Filter
Gearing: 13/43

I am going to tweak my FMF programmer settings tomorrow. I need a little more fuel on the bottm. I will post my results.

Dave

Last edited by dbparti on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 am

Congratulations! That sounds like a desirable mod. It's a shame around here it's almost impossible to get those kits....
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 7:48 am

Dave,

Congrats to you and thanks for posting. Please keep the info coming.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 10:31 pm

anymore updates i'm thinking of getting this kit
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: Update wr290R   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 2:22 am

I put 50 more miles today, a combo of pavement and dirt. I will tell you that the low end is much better than before, I have tons more power. The mid range pulls harder as well. I still have not gone to wide open throttle but I can go faster at 3/4 than I could ever go wide open. I have not changed my FMF settings yet. I do not regret spending the money on the Big Bore upgrade, I am pretty sure I picket up 25% more HP and Torque. WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 810411
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: Pictures of Aethena Big Bore Kit Installed   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Here are pics
WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Dscn0113

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Dscn0112
WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Wr290r10
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: FMF Settings for Big Bore Kit   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

I called Dobeck this morning, they manufacture the FMF Programmer for the WR250R/X. They provided me the correct settings for my 290 Big Bore upgrade. I have the FMF Q4 with Power Bomb Header and a K&N filter with moded Air Box. Before the kit I was using 3,4,1,8,4,4.5 with the big bore kit they recommended I change to 3,6,3,8,4,4.5

As you can see I did not change the last four, I added fuel for cruise, acceleration and top end. I went out and rode after I changed the setings and I cant believe how much power and speed I picked up. I'm serious this is a a whole new bike. I will post what my gas milleage is with the new settings.

What to mod next Mmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Cool, did you had the "wr290r" decals custom made or they came with the kit? WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: WR290R Decal   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 am

No its photo shop, I have not made a real one yet but I plan to... WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 810411
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:06 am

Now.... where is my next pay cheque WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 810411 WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 810411 WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 810411
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 12:01 pm

dbparti wrote:
Here are pics

Congrats man.......that sounds/looks like a sweet set-up WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 61865
Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Now....spoon some D606's on that thing and you'll gain even more power! :)

Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 4:30 pm

This is great! I can't wait to hear more from you when you get it broken in some. Do you have any plans to get it on a dyno machine? I would love to see some numbers with that kit on.

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 525406 WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 61865 WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 805204

By the way....I love that sticker too!
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: Gas Milleage after first Tank   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 3:41 pm

My Fuel Light came on at 101 miles. Before the Big Bore upgrade my fuel light would come on at 105. So not much change. I have been taking it easy so I'm sure after I have the Head fully broken in, I will need to repost my results. I have been doing a lot of pavement driving around 65mph actual speed
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 pm

i'm going to order one i have a buddy that owns a yamaha dealership i want to see what i can get it for. there is also a guy on you tube that has the kit installed acceleration looks alot better
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:38 pm

This sounds like a very promising & desireable mod for a lot of us on this forum. Wonder if we could get a group discount from Athena if we got together & all bought a kit? Another question that crossed my mind is what kind of power would you get if you added the MP Fab turbo kit to the same engine? Might be pushing the limits of the engines bottom end I think.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 am

sswrx wrote:
This sounds like a very promising & desireable mod for a lot of us on this forum. Wonder if we could get a group discount from Athena if we got together & all bought a kit?

This is an idea. Any one got connections?
Back to top Go down
Money$hift

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Id be interested in getting pricing on a kit...
Back to top Go down
Noppy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 2:56 pm

I'd be interested in hearing a factory outlet price, without the EFI programmer.

I don't need it because I would toss it in the bin straight away.

Manufacturers are always a bit anxious to disrupt the commerce in their dealer channel, but this way they could still sell it at a normal price, but without the electronics.

Idea? WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: Athena Page link to Dyno Run for wr Big Bore   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 8:05 pm

According to the Dyno chart on Athena's Page HP is 31.. Thats a 7HP jump over OEM. I am not using the Athena EFI, I have the Dobeck from FMF. I have lots of Power. but I'm still having a very minor power hesitation going from mid to full throttle that I'm still working out. I bet I have more HP than 31....No access to a dyno

http://www.athena-ad.com/pdf/P400485100032_EN.pdf
WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Dyno10Athena [23,12 Kw / 31 HP]
Tests made with:
- Complete cylinder kit Ath ena D.83 mm;
- Complete LeoVince exhaust pipe;
- ATHEN A CDI unit.
[size=7]OEM [17,75 Kw / 23,8 HP]
[/size]- Tests made with stock engine;

- Oem exhaust pipe.
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 pm

so is this 7hp with everything else being stock (except for their fuel box) or after market muffler & other mods??? i'm sure another FI tuner could do even better.

looks to be about the same bump in torque but moved down to lower rpms which is a good thing for off-road riding.
Back to top Go down
Thumpthing Old

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 11:58 pm

I've got the Athena Kit, along with a GYTR pipe, airbox mod and PCIII with a custom map made on the dyno. My bike makes 31 horsepower and change now. It's way more fun than before. The bottom and mid are really fun now----before I was waiting for the revs to climb. It's still no 450, but it ain't bad. Particularly off road, it has more than enough power.

BTW, I've seen the Athena kit online for $695 without the Athena programmer. That would be the way to go if you've already got a good programmer like a PCIII or FMF.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 am

My only remaining question is about reliability, especially with the added compression. I want this mod so bad...
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 10:18 pm

boogn1sh wrote:
My only remaining question is about reliability, especially with the added compression. I want this mod so bad...

Maybe this would solve your problem with your front end being too light, boog! WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info 911463
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: kit   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 pm

I can see a tech day w/ ten wr250. All being taken apart by their riders for this mass mod together.

OK, maybe just five guys & one gal.....from Kentucky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info Empty

Back to top Go down

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next