Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

radiator shroud vented

Go down 
+8
marty
jyam
yellowredlight
ZED
ramz
njbill
SheWolf
Boondocker
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Boondocker

Boondocker

radiator shroud vented Empty
PostSubject: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:25 am

I ride in hot weather and my fan runs a lot on the trail. I thought about removing the radiator shroud to maximize air flow, so took off the side tank cover to have look at the radiator shroud. Decided to keep on since it offers a little bit of protection and the fan motor itself is the biggest air blocker. However, it could stand a little more ventilation, so I hit it with the Dremel and a hole saw.

The Dremel took a chunk out of the side. The tank cover is really close to the side, so I don't think there is a lot of flow potential there. The hole saw relieved the lower rear, which should help air flow directly through rather than having to make a 90º turn. Note, this is accessible with the side cover on. I put a block of wood between the shroud and the radiator when making the cuts to protect the fins. Could have taken the shroud off but didn't need to.

If you can't see the image, then here's a description.
* On the bottom, rounded part of the shroud, I cut two holes, approximately 6cm diameter on the flat part just above where the bend starts. This is visible below the side panel.
* On the side - the flat, vertical part next to the fan, I trimmed a straight-edged hole the in panel leaving about 2cm all the way around. This is covered by the side panel.

Edit: re-added image link - http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Fan-Shroud-mod-004/939462293_C92S7-M.jpg
As you can see in the pasted link, I use SmugMug. I've had this invisible image problem on this forum before, but not on any other forums. When I edit the post, the image shows.
The first time I pasted the link, I surrounded it with square brackets, and hyperlink didn't show. I'd say this forum engine has some defects in its HTML tag handling.
radiator shroud vented 939462293_C92S7-M

Last edited by Boondocker on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 am

You'd be amazed how much heat that shroud holds back. Dump some water wetter into your rad; it'll significantly help keep the temps running cooler. radiator shroud vented 61865

njbill

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Am I the only one who cannot see the picture? I am really interested in this topic.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 pm

I didn't see any either. Perhaps he didn't post any, and just was explaining? radiator shroud vented 29721

njbill

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:42 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I didn't see any either. Perhaps he didn't post any, and just was explaining? radiator shroud vented 29721

I see an X in a frame where a picture would be. radiator shroud vented Icon_scratch One more glass of wine and maybe it will go away.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:51 pm

radiator shroud vented 851577 Shit you're seeing more than I am then.

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:45 am

Do you see it now?

radiator shroud vented BoondockerVented

Last edited by ramz on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:17 am

It shows up fine in IE8 but FF doesn't show it.

ZED

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 10:04 am

The link just opens a blank page too.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 pm

SheWolf wrote:
It shows up fine in IE8 but FF doesn't show it.
I'm using FireFox 3.6.7

ZED wrote:
The link just opens a blank page too.
Dunno what to say about that, the gallery is public, so no authentication required.

Of course it all shows up for me radiator shroud vented Icon_scratch

Tried this as a 'Hosted Image', both URL and file upload, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 pm

anyone run engine ice and see any results?

all my friends run it in their MX bikes (but have no proof that its better).

its only $20 so i was going to give it a shat anyways, just curious
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Monkey see, monkey do. radiator shroud vented 61865
radiator shroud vented Feb4635e
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: hijacking my own thread   radiator shroud vented EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 2:02 am

radiator shroud vented 195268 This image viewing business is torquing my nut. Today, I can't see the image that showed yesterday. And when I click on the hyperlink, guess what? - blank page. If I copy/paste the link to a new tab, the image shows. It's not the difference between IE or Firefox, and I doubt it's the difference from one day to the next. It's the forum engine that has problems handling pictures and not just this thread. I see it throughout on an inconsistent basis. There will be a post with a couple of words, then the next post says - "wow that looks really cool". I aint seein' it, whatever it was. radiator shroud vented 454776

Since this thread is hijacked...The dealer where I bought the bike called and invited me to a "thanks for being a customer" breakfast Saturday morning. What the heck, maybe they'll invite me to spend some more money too. I've spent a bunch, none at their shop. Darn. They're sportin' a bikini bike wash too. Like I want to see a bunch of sweaty, bikini-clad, babes caressing my scooter. Uh, better bring my camera radiator shroud vented 342500
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 11:29 pm

radiator shroud vented 61865 nice job ramz,I was just thinking of doing exacly the same thing.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 10:35 am

radiator shroud vented 851577 That was Boondocker's pic, John. radiator shroud vented 93746

jyam

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:41 pm

radiator shroud vented 851577 my biggest problem..reading too fast radiator shroud vented 619190 and proof-reading radiator shroud vented Icon_rolleyes i just get so excited!!
AAanyway...off to work for the week in the pen.hopefully have some new pics soon
ja
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 am

I didn't really like how the shroud forced the 'exhaust' air to take a convoluted path, so I just cut the entire thing out. hopefully i don't knee the fan...

radiator shroud vented DSC01661
Back to top Go down
g-train

g-train

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:14 am

don't know whether this helps... but the aussie r2's don't have rear fan guards ...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Boondocker wrote:

As you can see in the pasted link, I use SmugMug. I've had this invisible image problem on this forum before, but not on any other forums. When I edit the post, the image shows.
The first time I pasted the link, I surrounded it with square brackets, and hyperlink didn't show. I'd say this forum engine has some defects in its HTML tag handling.
radiator shroud vented 939462293_C92S7-M
Not saying there aren't problems, but I haven't had any.

I don't even use stuff like smugmug anymore.

If you look at the icons at the top when you're posting a message, one of those icons allows you to host a message directly from your computer. It is not the only alternative, but it is the one I use.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 3:22 pm

marty wrote:
I didn't really like how the shroud forced the 'exhaust' air to take a convoluted path, so I just cut the entire thing out.

Yup. Mine's been gone for quite some time now.

radiator shroud vented 2cym7ab
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 pm

I can see it. Wouldn't a group of smaller holes be better than 2 large holes? Still get air flow while maintaining more protection?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: radiator shroud vented   radiator shroud vented Empty

Back to top Go down

radiator shroud vented
Page 1 of 1