Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rubber Dampers On Taillight

Go down 
+5
Eurastus
galland1
thumpjump
inspector
M1A Rifleman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
M1A Rifleman

Rubber Dampers On Taillight Empty
PostSubject: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:27 am

I rode home from work last night and noticed soemthing hanging out of the bottom of the tailight. It was a strip of rubber, with real sticky snotty glue. Turns out the tail light has these rubber damper strips on the top and bottom to allow it to float within the black housing. I guess the heat, vibration, and wind forced the bottom strip out. No real way to reuse. Without this, the tailight floops around too much for me. For now, I stuffed a square of rubber in place, but I know I can find somthing better.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

Yeah, another bad design. I ended up using some silicone, wouldn't really suggest that. Works for me but was a pain.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:31 am

Its funny that the bottom seems to be the problem and not the top. After going thru spurts of panic and anger over this I recalled a product I noted at the hardware store. One time I noted they carried small rubber pads - same thickness and same material as needed here. One side had a decal. These should work fine. I also noted that the Yamaha damper 1 and 2 parts for the front plastic side panel will work as these are the same material and a glue strip.
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 6:53 am

I had the same thing happen on the bottom rubber damper during a recent trip. I ripped it off and super glued a little bit of inner tube on the inside of the housing. Weather stripping may work well too.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Mine is hanging out too.
Back to top Go down
Eurastus

Eurastus

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Yup. Same deal. I stuffed it back in; we'll see how long that lasts.

This seems like a common problem.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 pm

My little tail light booger has been hanging out since the first ride. I keep threatening to fix it, but hasn't gotten any worse. I have some 3M, 2-sided, automotive door molding tape that will hold anything if it comes to that.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 11:50 am

same thing happened to me in the middle of Maine last year,,I had to find a homedepot and found some weatherstripping that did the trick..
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:50 pm

One more to add to the list with dangly little rubber strips. I keep growling at it and threatening to tear the assembly apart to correct it, but it seems I would rather go riding instead.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Jäger wrote:
One more to add to the list with dangly little rubber strips. I keep growling at it and threatening to tear the assembly apart to correct it, but it seems I would rather go riding instead.

I have the same probem but also not having a good place to wrench.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:25 pm

The easy fix is to remove the rubber strip Yamaha installed - tear out with needle nose pliers. Then locate the small circlular rubber pads at the hardware store. In my location in CA, Orchard Supply Hardware did the trick. The pads are used as feet for lamps or other items that you wish to place on top of tables and protect the surface. The pas are about 1/2 " dia, and are about 1/8" thick. They have a peel and stick adhesive on one side. Simply place two or three of these in place of the yamaha rubber strip and your good. They won't come out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Dampers On Taillight   Rubber Dampers On Taillight Empty

Back to top Go down

Rubber Dampers On Taillight
Page 1 of 1