Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR Converted into supermoto

Go down 
+15
dc4stroke
phatsteppin
3KGT_Maddness
marty
craigq
12oclocker
acmebot
stumo
Berwyn Henderson
john92
Mr. Fisherman
ZED
mattf
Ozy
ToaadWR
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ToaadWR

ToaadWR

WRR Converted into supermoto Empty
PostSubject: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 5:00 pm

I purchased a set of WR X wheels with the stock tires and had the front wheel laced to a WRR hub, had to get custom spokes to fit, I plan on swapping rims depending on my riding. This thing is truely a dual sport machine now!

WRR Converted into supermoto Motard10

WRR Converted into supermoto Motard11

WRR Converted into supermoto Dsc01010

WRR Converted into supermoto Dsc01110

WRR Converted into supermoto Dsc01111

WRR Converted into supermoto Dsc00310

What i am currently rocking (motard)

Stock WRX tires/rims front wheel laced with R hub
Stock suspension lowered (in rear only, i want to lower the front too but i cant get the forks to budge)
Flapper screwed open/AIS removal
FMF Q4
FMF PB
FMF PP 444 666
47/13 sprockets
All rebound and compression dialed 5 clicks out (stock is 10 clicks out)
EBC oversized 320mm front rotor
EBC front/rear carbon pads
HEL front/rear transparent steel braided brake lines
K&N filter
12oclocklabs DRC edge trail light
601 LED front blinkers (from wheelingcycle)
Side plastic/fork guards from 09 WRX
DRC wide foot peds
Zeta hand guards
Zeta blue wheel spacers
12oclocklabs speedo healer
DRC flasher relay
RK XW-Ring racing chain
Driven shift lever
Zeta front brake / clutch pivot levers
Zeta counter sprocket guard
Zeta oil filler cap

The only real problem i have come across is the kick stand is too long now. So i have to be extra careful where i park.
I have seperate sprockets and rotors for each wheel set, this makes thing a bit easier when it comes to swapping.

Swapping the tires does not take alot of time. I use the following when i put the dirt tires back on. The unlisted remains the same.

Stock rims with some aggressive dirt tire
Stock rotors front and back
FMF PP 444 888
47/12
EBC sintered steel front/rear pads
UNI foam filter
Rebound and compression dialed 7 clicks out
Stock side plastics and fork guards
Stock wheel spacers
Cycra probend bark busters

Who says this bike has limits? WRR Converted into supermoto 61865

Last edited by ToaadWR on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 7:48 pm

That's great and I would love to do the same thing..... WRR Converted into supermoto 61865

What is the difference between the 'R' & 'X' hubs?

I had trouble with my forks sliding up too but WD40 and twisting/turning instead of just trying to slide upwards helped.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 pm

I did the same, I use the x wheels and brakes for commuting and supermoto racing and I put on non DOT offroad tires on my r wheels so it has much better grip offroad now, I love this bike.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Cool. thumb

Where'd you get the 320mm disk? I didn't know EBC had one to fit our bike.
Did they have the calliper relocation bracket too, or did you have to get one machined?
Back to top Go down
ToaadWR

ToaadWR

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Here is the link for the rotor kit, it comes with the bracket, you will need 2 shorter bolts for the relocation bracket though, the ones it comes with are too long. I bought it from wheelingcyclesupply.com.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/supermotard_rotor_contour_rotor_kit/supermotardrotor.shtml

**updated info

The R and X hubs have a different size bolt pattern for the rotor. In order to keep the R brake system on you would need to get an R hub and have it laced to the X wheel, keep in mind you need custom spokes, once you have the R hub laced its only a matter of taking off a relocation bracket and putting the dirt tires back on.

You can buy a completely stock X set of wheels but you would need to run the X braking system on it. And it just seemed easier and more economical to go the route of lacing an R hub to the X wheels.

Last edited by ToaadWR on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 1:51 am

Welcome to the club! I have a dirt set of wheels for my X. Takes about 20 minutes to swap them out. I have sprocket and rotors on both sets, swaps are a breeze and oh so worth it. I am on my second set of comutard skins. Just swapped to my dirt set tonight.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

ToaadWR wrote:
The R and X hubs are different size so in order to use the X wheel with the R model you have to have the hub of an R model laced to the rim of the X model. The set i bought was all ready laced for the R model so i did not have to do it myself.

This is not entirely true. I have the "X" wheels for my "R" and they are a fully stock set of X wheels. The hubs fit fine on the front. Everything is the same sizewise. They even use the same spacers even though my X set came with them also . The only issue is your front brake setup because of the larger rotor. I came across a used "X" full front brake setup on Ebay (lever,master cylinder, brake line, caliper, etc.) right about the time I was working out the deal on the X wheel set. All I do is switch out the whole front brake setup (no bleeding or swapping calipers needed) and bolt up the wheels and I'm good to go. I have a spare sprocket mounted to the rear wheel and it's the same size as my "R" setup so I don't even need to adjust the chain. Everyone has there own method of setting up their wheel swap but I just wanted to point out that the wheels are a direct swap, It's just the brake setup that requires some sort of solution.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 am

john92 or anyone in the know, What parts are different other then the disc's? Are they not a direct change because of the INSIDE diameter, bolt pattern,or -----? the outside diameter difference should locate caliper on the fork tube. Is the caliper different? Thanks
Back to top Go down
stumo

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 am

Berwyn Henderson wrote:
john92 or anyone in the know, What parts are different other then the disc's? Are they not a direct change because of the INSIDE diameter, bolt pattern,or -----? the outside diameter difference should locate caliper on the fork tube. Is the caliper different? Thanks

AFAIK, it's just the diameter of the front disc (it's a larger diameter on the x) and the corresponding caliper bracket (bit i could be wrong)
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 pm

I have r hub x wheels on order :)

I have been searching for this EBC kit. I have not found it for the WR250R. Did you use the kit for the WR250F like this:
http://pcsupermoto.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_25&products_id=57
model:SM6028C

thanks
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm

The X hub itself is different and I don't believe the small R rotor will bolt to the X wheel or vice versa. I was just saying the whole stock X wheel will bolt up to an R. The Front caliper is different as well.
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 pm

yes, all my digging came up with the same info the x and r hubs have a different rotor bolt pattern and the x and r have a different caliper. So the only answer is a r hub laced to a x wheel. Then use the r caliper with an r rotor or find a over sized rotor to fit the r hub.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 4:29 pm

acmebot wrote:
So the only answer is a r hub laced to a x wheel. Then use the r caliper with an r rotor or find a over sized rotor to fit the r hub.

No, if you have that setup, that's fine and that will work. But it's not the only solution. Why would you find an oversized rotor to fit the R hub when the X hub already has the oversized rotor setup? Once you find that oversized rotor that bolts to the R hub, then you're back to square one needing to relocate your R caliper for the bigger rotor. All that's needed is a set of 100% STOCK X wheels with X HUBS. It bolts on fine, I can 100% guarantee that. You then just need to get an X caliper to swap out when you run your X wheels or get the full front X setup from lever to caliper (that's what I did) just so you don't have to deal with brake fluid, bleeding etc. It also helps if you have the plastic fork guards for the X to throw on there as well.
Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems crazy to have R hubs laced to X rims unless you plan on keeping the R sized rotor for both setups. To the original poster, it's fine if that's the setup you have, I just don't want people thinking that's the only route they have to go. I mean we're talking about two bikes that are almost the exact same bike. If you have all the necessary STOCK X parts, there is no need for any custom work to be done.
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 5:11 pm

I understand, I did not want to swap the r caliper for the x caliper. So using a r hub, r rotor and r caliper works. The over size kits come with a relocation bracket so that you can use the r calliper with the over sized rotor. The reason you need to swap r/x calipers is the yamaha made the relocation bracket part of the x caliper and not a separate bolt on piece.

I looking for conformation the WR250F over size kit (320mm rotor and bracket) works on the r setup, it sounds like I just need different bolts to make it work. The setup in the picture looks sweet thanks to ToaadWR for the post, I just wanted to double check before I order the kit.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh OK. That makes sense then.
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Nice bike! WRR Converted into supermoto 61865 I like the front brake setup, I bet that oversized rotor grabs really well!
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 pm

so lets get this straqight, if I want to put a x wheel on my r, all I need in addition to a complete x wheel with rotor is a x caliper, right? Berwyn
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 12:10 am

The 320mm setup shown will work well, but there is another solution to X wheels for the R. Just call Forrest at wheelingcycle and get a set of X style wheels for the R. I have a set of R style wheels from him for my X and they just bolted right up and worked. He has everything needed for anyone looking for an easy solution.
Back to top Go down
ToaadWR

ToaadWR

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 am

acmebot wrote:
I have r hub x wheels on order :)

I have been searching for this EBC kit. I have not found it for the WR250R. Did you use the kit for the WR250F like this:
http://pcsupermoto.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_25&products_id=57
model:SM6028C

thanks

You can buy this kit from Forrest at wheelingcyclesupply.com. Its not listed on the site so i would just give him a call at 304.233.2501

I want to say i recall forrest telling me that the front bolt pattern is the same as the DRZ hub. But dont quote me on that.

Also keep in mind you need custom made spokes to fit the R hub with the X wheel. I am not 100% sure on the specs of those spokes so again i would call forrest and ask him.
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks, I ordered the wheels from Forrest, they should arrive this week. When I was talking to him he mentioned a few kits (EBC,Moto Master, Braking or Brembo) officially none of these fit the R. Forrest is out of town for a few days, I will talk to him when he is back. My plan was to use the R rotor until I figure out which oversize kit fits.
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 pm

my rims arrived today... thanks Forrest
WRR Converted into supermoto Dscn3510[/url]
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Berwyn Henderson wrote:
so lets get this straqight, if I want to put a x wheel on my r, all I need in addition to a complete x wheel with rotor is a x caliper, right? Berwyn

That is correct. Or you can go the custom route like others on here have. But I believe that is just if you want to keep the R rotor & caliper.
Back to top Go down
ToaadWR

ToaadWR

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Just a note acmebot, if i could go back and buy the rotor again i would have gone with a stainless steel rotor, not carbon. The EBC kit is a carbon rotor which has better stopping power than a stainless but it gets alot of surface rust inside the drilled out holes and i have to do alot of cleaning to keep it looking fresh. Maybe this will not bother you, but i figured i would give you the heads up.

Congrats on the rims! Stiffen up the suspension before you get too low around turns, the stock suspension is waaay too soft for supermoto.
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks for the input ToaadWR, I did go with the Braking 320mm kit over the EBC one. I have ordered BT-016's front 120-70-17 (3.5 in) and rear 150-60-17 (4.25 in). I have these on my monster and like them, they will wear better then proper SM rubber. They just take a bit to warm up as I learnt last fall in 5 C weather...

I will post offroad (before) and supermoto (after) pics soon.
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm still waiting for the back tire. Here is a before pic taking on the weekend in the city where I live...

WRR Converted into supermoto Wr250r10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR Converted into supermoto   WRR Converted into supermoto Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR Converted into supermoto
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next