Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil Leak

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Oil Leak   Oil Leak EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 am

Hello everyone,

I posted this on ADV Rider, asking for suggestions, ideas, recommendations. My WR250R has developed what I think is an oil leak. It has 60 miles on the odometer. The oil seems to be coming from one of the bolts of the cylinder head. There are two bolts visible on the right side of the engine, when viewed from the riding position. The front bolt on this side has developed a sizeable leak. On the photo below, you can see the oil gathering around the base of the bolt/washer, and it was running to the side of the engine. I wiped the top part of the runoff to the side with my finger. There was also what appears to be few drops of oil on the header heat guard as well.

My question is:
Has anyone experienced this on their WRR?
If this was a manufacturing problem, where that one bolt (as far as I can see it is the only one leaking) is the only one not torqued enough, could this have warped the head?
I'm taking this bike to the Yamaha dealer. What precautions should I take regarding how to guarantee the best possible care?
Anything else?
I sure would appreciate sugestions, recommendations, etc.
Thanks guys!
Lion

Oil Leak 495788338_4LLDH-XL
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak   Oil Leak EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Someone on TT had that very same problem, but I think his was due to having too much oil in the crank case. If yours only has 60 on the ODO....maybe they filled it too much during PDI.

Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak   Oil Leak EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Oil level is within specs.

SheWolf wrote:
Someone on TT had that very same problem, but I think his was due to having too much oil in the crank case. If yours only has 60 on the ODO....maybe they filled it too much during PDI.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak   Oil Leak EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 9:30 pm

With only 60 miles on it I would be right back to the dealer with that thing. Have them check the torque on the bolts that are visible only. No sense in tearing into the engine to torque the other two bolts unless the leak moves to the left side. It may just not have been torqued properly at the factory. Have you run the bike to where it gets hot or overheated it? If not then don't worry about it. Warranty will cover a leak like that seeing as how you have such low mileage. I seriously doubt the head is warped. Do a search over at TT. There was a lengthy thread over there about an oil leak similar to yours.
Back to top Go down

Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak   Oil Leak EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks Mwakey.
My plan is to take oit to the Yamaha dealer. I want to know what to expect from them though. I searched on TT and the only thing I found wast a reference to a head gasket leak. If that is the one thread, then it is about something different than what I have. My bike is not leaking at the gasket, but through one of the cylinder head bolts. If there is something else about this type of oil leak on TT I would like to know how to find it.
Thanks again!
Lion

mwakey wrote:
With only 60 miles on it I would be right back to the dealer with that thing. Have them check the torque on the bolts that are visible only. No sense in tearing into the engine to torque the other two bolts unless the leak moves to the left side. It may just not have been torqued properly at the factory. Have you run the bike to where it gets hot or overheated it? If not then don't worry about it. Warranty will cover a leak like that seeing as how you have such low mileage. I seriously doubt the head is warped. Do a search over at TT. There was a lengthy thread over there about an oil leak similar to yours.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak   Oil Leak Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Leak
Page 1 of 1