Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

sealing our spoked rims

Go down 
+7
rydnseek
Tammy
dtx
Vortac
deerHater
bhmax
NorgeWR2X
11 posters
AuthorMessage
NorgeWR2X

sealing our spoked rims Empty
PostSubject: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 1:13 am

so i was thinking i should do this over the winter. anyone done it before? is it hard? i figure if i got a flat with a sealed rim i can plug it on the spot.
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:31 am

nobody?
Back to top Go down
bhmax

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:40 am

I definitely like the idea. The little bit I've read on other forums about it has me personally waiting for a commercial 17" setup like the Tubliss. Sounds like too much room for error for me. I'd spend too much time on it and get a leak and not want to deal with it anymore.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 am

I too would prefer to plug a flat instead of playing with tire irons and tubes on the side of the road.

Thinking about going the expensive but oh-so-farkly route:

http://www.motostrano.com/mafoalsuwh.html
(probably 3.5 front, 4.5 rear)

Last edited by deerHater on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:34 am

deerHater wrote:
I too would prefer to plug a flat instead of playing with tire irons and tubes on the side of theroad.

Thinking about going the expensive but oh-so-farkly route:

http://www.motostrano.com/mafoalsuwh.html
(probably 3.5 front, 4.5 rear)

that's for sure on my wish list. i love the look of spoked rims, but i don't think the upkeep of them is worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm

guys on smj site are doing it.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Don't know the name of them but kids use them in the pool. Long round about 4' long 3 or 4" round. Cut to fit your rim cut about half way into it and add a Mt Bike tube in it and your all set to go.. Home made Bib-Mousse.. Bib-Mousse = 13psi
I may make a set and see how good they work...
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 pm

cycle gear sells a tubeless set up.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Tammy wrote:
Don't know the name of them but kids use them in the pool. Long round about 4' long 3 or 4" round. Cut to fit your rim cut about half way into it and add a Mt Bike tube in it and your all set to go.. Home made Bib-Mousse.. Bib-Mousse = 13psi
I may make a set and see how good they work...

very interesting.. i may try it too.. any write ups from mad scientists who've done it?
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 pm

dtx wrote:
cycle gear sells a tubeless set up.

got a link? i searched "wr250x" and got nothing.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Good discussion..   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm

not sure I'm sold on this but here is a good discussion of the tubeliss system.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560182
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Akasy wrote:

my main concern is a nail or screw. it already happened once. somehow the screw lined up to my rear tire perpendicular and it went straight in. if i use tubliss and the same thing happens again, what's to stop the screw from puncturing the tubliss as well?
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_28-7000_G

your link
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:53 pm

dtx wrote:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_28-7000_G

your link

thanks thumb
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:08 pm

NorgeWR2X wrote:
Akasy wrote:

my main concern is a nail or screw. it already happened once. somehow the screw lined up to my rear tire perpendicular and it went straight in. if i use tubliss and the same thing happens again, what's to stop the screw from puncturing the tubliss as well?

I only said it was a good discussion--not that I'm an advocate for the system, never had one doubt I ever will. I think the ones that really like the system would say the chances of a screw long enough to reach the inner bladder is slim to none. Then I would point out that I had an eight inch landscape nail go thru a jeep tire and bend when it hit the rim inside!

As for your nail--that is most likely the most common scenario for a puncture. The front tire crosses the nail and stands it up slightly--rear tire is right there to pick it up--flat time.
Back to top Go down
Yaozer

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Tu-Bliss only has set-ups for 18 and 21" rims at this point. Does anyone make a set-up for the 17" rims on the WRX?
Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Never saw this thread, did mine like this, http://www.teamincomplete.com/Projects/950/1719tubelesswhee.html , with Permatex Ultra Black. The Ultra Black is rated for higher temps, and is supposed to be oil resistant (whatever "resistant" means).

I had problems with a section not drying correctly. I think it was due to being on a wheel balancer, so the oils all accumulated in one area. It was the area at the bottom that didn't dry. The rear wheel dried on it's side, and I had no problems with it. Haven't had any other problems in the few months I have had it on, holds air fine. I also left the rim strip on the rear wheel, trimmed it as narrow as possible to cover the spoke nipples, to leave more room for the silicone to mate to the wheel. In the future, I will probably go with a 16" bike tube over the spokes, or use the rim strip.

Guys are also doing this, http://cyb.smugmug.com/gallery/7250813_ZxQA5#465979239_UFqYE The most common problems from the SMJ feedback were individual spokes leaking after a while. Even if you true the wheel correctly, there is still the possibility down the road a spoke will break or loosen, breaking the seal.

My biggest reason for going tubeless was feedback and feel from the tire, and I think it is much better. I can't prove that, and it may just be in my head. Also, able to plug flats pretty easily, though I have yet to get one on the X.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 am

I called Tu-Bliss a few months ago and was told they are possibly making 17" soon, there was some demand for them. Call them if you are interested. The more calls they get the quicker they will make them. I'm sure in the economic climate today they don't want to make the investment if they might not sell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 pm

cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sealing our spoked rims   sealing our spoked rims Empty

Back to top Go down

sealing our spoked rims
Page 1 of 1