Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer Empty
PostSubject: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:31 pm

edited; controversial. if ya' use o-ring type drain plug washer, suggest safety wiring plug.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stumo

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 3:22 am

They look just like the washers used in the hydraulic industry and you'll get them at a 1/10th of the price there..............

In the UK they are known as Dowty washers, i don't know if that's what they're called in America.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm

was about ten bucks for ten washers, so about a buck a piece.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stumo

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 2:00 pm

As i live in the UK....NOT the USA, my link is a UK site....and this is the 1st site that came up, i'm sure i can find cheaper if i took time to look

M12 dowty washer is 2nd item down...

so i can buy 50 dowty washers for £12.50, that's approx $20 and stuff in the States is usually cheaper than here

which makes them 40 cents each, i'm sure you could find them cheaper...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the link.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Just a note that torque is achieved from metal-to-metal contact maintained through the threads.

The crush-washer's purpose provides exactly that to occur.

Using a rubber o-ring, where there is no groove that provides compression of the o-ring prior to the faying/interfacing surfaces of the metal contacting metal results in a false preload.

You in-fact may achieve the specified preload, but reality is the preload is only on the threads and not the surface friction of the metal surfaces.

You see this engineering principal applied in other applications such as oil caps where a credible failure in not only unlikely, but the consequences much less severe (assuming you see oil gushing out at some point and/or don't fill your engine up with H2O).

If it were as easy to use a much less expensive rubber o-ring in the application, all M/C manufacturers would have figured that out by now.

None do... Just sayin.

...and of course; "To each their own".

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:40 pm

agree

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer   REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer Empty

Back to top Go down

REUSABLE Oil Drain Plug Washer - replaces OEM crush washer
Page 1 of 1