Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack

Go down 
+9
everydayADV
njbill
granite4brains
Scharcon
Boondocker
little squirt
soggytire
gatorfan
cryptomundo
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cryptomundo

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Empty
PostSubject: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Thought I would post a few pics and a note about the install. I like how it turned out and the install was very easy. Just took the rack cover off, drilled 4 holes for the Rotopax mount, and used the bolts that came with the Rotopax (not too long). The only thing to pay attention to is the placement of the Rotopax mount. The mount needs to be positioned properly or the rack cover will not sit down flush on the rack frame because the Rotopax bolts will either be touching the rack middle crossbar or rear rack frame. I was off just a tad and had to dremel the holes out a little so the Rotopax mount would move back enough for the rear nuts to drop behind the rack frame (I had plenty of clearance from the middle crossbar). After the small adjustment the rack cover sits down perfect on the rack frame. I hope I explained that ok scratch

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Img_0013

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Img_0014

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Img_0015

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 pm

Very nice. I like the "minimalist" look to the hole deal.
Back to top Go down
soggytire

soggytire

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:08 am

Very sleek looking. Must hold the center of gravity low? cheers
Back to top Go down
soggytire

soggytire

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:11 am

by the way... where did you get your rear rack? I like the way it's contoured.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 7:49 am

sweet setup, those rotopax seem pretty popular there.....guess i dont have the option of running out of fuel before i could find a fill up station here...

is that a flatland rear disk guard? i'm looking into one, where you get that snazzy piece from?

Aloha
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:42 am

soggytire wrote:

I ordered the rack from my local Yamaha dealer. It has worked out pretty good for me and seems to be pretty solid. I use the Wolfman Peak Tail bag often and the bag fits the rack (or bag) like it was made for it. I feel a little better now with the extra gallon of gas for the longer trips. Gravity wise, I think with saddle bags, a duffle, and maybe a Kriega 20 on top of the Rotopax (which fits perfect), everything should balance out okay.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 am

LS, yep that is the Flatland rear disk guard. I ordered direct from their website. I think I had to call and make sure I was ordering the right one because it was not clear on their site. I have not noticed any problems with it.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Another Rotopax install   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:57 pm

It appears that cryptomundo and I did the same thing on the same day. Queue the spooky music. I too installed a 1-gallon Rotopax gas can on my GYTR tail rack. I also use the Wolfman Peak tail bag, though the Kriega 20 is going on my wishlist.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042022834_ctTwL-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-007/1042022834_ctTwL-M.jpg

Looks likes mine is mounted a little further forward.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042025047_qmuSe-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-008/1042025047_qmuSe-M.jpg

With the Peak tail bag, looks like this.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042019929_PpTDj-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-005/1042019929_PpTDj-M.jpg

I ended up not using the Rotopax mounting plate as I didn't see much point in putting it on top of the rack and didn't like the way it fit underneath.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042027062_BJJgN-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-010/1042027062_BJJgN-M.jpg

Instead, I used the largest washers that would fit and of course, lock-tighted the mounting bolts. Feels solid.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042028113_MBEhE-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-012/1042028113_MBEhE-M.jpg

To access the can when using the Peak tail bag, I'll undo the straps from the two exhaust-side buckles, and hang it to port.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042026050_4bwFa-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-009/1042026050_4bwFa-M.jpg

Yes, the can is mounted "upside-down", but having the cap on the exhaust side makes me nervous. So does the thought of running out of fuel, which is why this is in addition to my 3.5-gal Safari tank. I have a route planned for next weekend, where the second leg is about 135 miles, all dirt and nowhere near any services. The second half of that leg is unexplored. If it doesn't go through as mapped, I could be in for a 70-mile back track. Got gas?

Last edited by Boondocker on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: nice rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 pm

soggytire wrote:

I like this rack too, it's special. I managed to get it for $175, which is too much for a tail rack, and now Yamaha wants $245 for one! I waited 2 months for the back order. You can get a very serviceable rack, if not as pretty, for much less money and no waiting.

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042179292_obVFF-M

The warning sticker says it's rated for 6.6 lbs. I took the warning sticker off, so now it's rated for 6.61 lbs. deal
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042188806_zuQ9v-S

DON'T CARRY CARGO OFF ROAD!
Back to top Go down
Scharcon

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Quote :
The warning sticker says it's rated for 6.6 lbs. I took the warning sticker off, so now it's rated for 6.61 lbs.

This belongs on the wieght reduction thread! poser2
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Boondocker wrote:
It appears that cryptomundo and I did the same thing on the same day. Queue the spooky music. I too installed a 1-gallon Rotopax gas can on my GYTR tail rack. I also use the Wolfman Peak tail bag, though the Kriega 20 is going on my wishlist.

That is spooky

Boondocker wrote:
Yes, the can is mounted "upside-down", but having the cap on the exhaust side makes me nervous.

scratch I did not think about that .. makes me nervous too .. looks like the cap will now be on the other side

By the way, just curious why I dont see your pics?

Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Boondocker wrote:
soggytire wrote:

I like this rack too, it's special. I managed to get it for $175, which is too much for a tail rack, and now Yamaha wants $245 for one! I waited 2 months for the back order. You can get a very serviceable rack, if not as pretty, for much less money and no waiting.

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042179292_obVFF-M

The warning sticker says it's rated for 6.6 lbs. I took the warning sticker off, so now it's rated for 6.61 lbs. deal
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042188806_zuQ9v-S

DON'T CARRY CARGO OFF ROAD!

Same here, I think I paid a little less than $175 because of a discount (and had to wait a while for it to arrive).

I think I remember seeing that warning somewhere .. might be hidden under the Rotopax mount.

Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 3:47 pm

cryptomundo wrote:

By the way, just curious why I dont see your pics?

I don't know. I have a lot of trouble with images on this forum. I've tried the hosted and unhosted methods. My photos are on SmugMug and they're not secured. Sometimes I can see them, sometimes not? I added links without the html tags. It's not very nice but maybe you'll be able to see them.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 6:36 pm

I figured it out .. I just have to right click on the ? and open the file . it opens up the pic

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 pm

cryptomundo,

Nice install. Looks great!

BigFeet
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:34 am

cryto,

which handguards do you have in those pics. Also, how 'bout the tail kit?
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 am

Highway Dirtbikes - HDB http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

DRC Edge2 taillight + 12oclock labs processor board http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 am

thanks crypto! I still have that bulky stock tailkit on mine ... I like that one from 12-Oclock labs ... much nicer looking!
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 am

I fooled around with the stock tail light, trying to trim it down and customize a solution. It turn out ok but felt like it was not what I wanted. Then I bought some other universal tail light setup and that did not work out. Then I ended up going with the Edge2 setup .. very very nice .. one thing to consider if you are thinking about the integrated blinkers - processor board from 12 oclock - is when you get your bike inspected, they might require your blinker lights to be a certain width apart .. I ended up installing the blinkers and so the processor board is not much use for me now (even though its nice to have and maybe one day I can use it).

Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 pm

That is a lot of weight up high!

cryptomundo wrote:
Thought I would post a few pics and a note about the install. I like how it turned out and the install was very easy. Just took the rack cover off, drilled 4 holes for the Rotopax mount, and used the bolts that came with the Rotopax (not too long). The only thing to pay attention to is the placement of the Rotopax mount. The mount needs to be positioned properly or the rack cover will not sit down flush on the rack frame because the Rotopax bolts will either be touching the rack middle crossbar or rear rack frame. I was off just a tad and had to dremel the holes out a little so the Rotopax mount would move back enough for the rear nuts to drop behind the rack frame (I had plenty of clearance from the middle crossbar). After the small adjustment the rack cover sits down perfect on the rack frame. I hope I explained that ok scratch

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Img_0013

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Img_0014

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Img_0015

scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 pm

on an extended ride that is not the only thing I will have on the bike. For several days, a week, or month, I would have plenty more to even up the load.

Back to top Go down
everydayADV

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 11:20 pm

These links don't seem to work anymore.

Boondocker wrote:
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042022834_ctTwL-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-007/1042022834_ctTwL-M.jpg

Looks likes mine is mounted a little further forward.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042025047_qmuSe-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-008/1042025047_qmuSe-M.jpg

With the Peak tail bag, looks like this.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042019929_PpTDj-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-005/1042019929_PpTDj-M.jpg

I ended up not using the Rotopax mounting plate as I didn't see much point in putting it on top of the rack and didn't like the way it fit underneath.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042027062_BJJgN-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-010/1042027062_BJJgN-M.jpg

Instead, I used the largest washers that would fit and of course, lock-tighted the mounting bolts. Feels solid.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042028113_MBEhE-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-012/1042028113_MBEhE-M.jpg

To access the can when using the Peak tail bag, I'll undo the straps from the two exhaust-side buckles, and hang it to port.
Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack 1042026050_4bwFa-M
image link without tags
http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/Rotopax-1-gal-gas-009/1042026050_4bwFa-M.jpg

Yes, the can is mounted "upside-down", but having the cap on the exhaust side makes me nervous. So does the thought of running out of fuel, which is why this is in addition to my 3.5-gal Safari tank. I have a route planned for next weekend, where the second leg is about 135 miles, all dirt and nowhere near any services. The second half of that leg is unexplored. If it doesn't go through as mapped, I could be in for a 70-mile back track. Got gas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 am

Looks like he renamed the photo album, or moved the photos.... have a look here:

http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/12140878_HwwjPP#!i=905975682&k=dCMKy

and on the 2nd page:

http://winnemore.smugmug.com/Other/WR250R-Tech/12140878_HwwjPP#!i=1042026050&k=4bwFa

Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 am

What Idon't understand is that it looks like you have the original gas tank on that bike. Unless I'm missing something why didn't you just accomplish the same thing in a better way by just installing an IMS 3.1 tank?
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm not the OP, but up 'til now I've been using Rotopax (sometimes one, sometimes two) because I already have 'em, because they were simple to mount (I also mounted to the OEM rack), and because I need the extra capacity only very rarely. If I were to do some long multi-day trips where gas was constantly an issue, I'd consider a bigger tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack   Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack Empty

Back to top Go down

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Yamaha rear rack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next