Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How many miles on stock tires?

Go down 
+15
Jäger
zone47
X-Racer
BluePill
Jersey Devil
inspector
huxuecan
viroid
gatorfan
john92
Krabill
YZEtc
M1A Rifleman
skierd
Boondocker
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Boondocker

Boondocker

How many miles on stock tires? Empty
PostSubject: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:04 am

For those of you running the stock Trailwing TW301/302 tires on your WR250R, who has worn them out and how many miles did you get? If you replaced them before wearing them out to get better tires, that's nice but won't answer my question. I ride 50/50 dirt/street. All the dirt is rough, rocky terrain, nothing soft. The street is a mix of city/highway.

I have 3000 miles on mine and the rear has 6/32" tread depth. There are a few chunked knobs and lots of cracks around the knobs from very high temperatures (lot's of 100°+ summer riding). I was hoping to do better, but apparently I'm not kind to my tires. I intend to go to the D606 next. Will I do any better mileage wise?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:49 am

I got about 4500 out of my first set of stockers, but they were damn near bald when i took them off.

D606's lasted about 1000 miles longer
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 am

I have 2400, and figure I'll get 3000 to 3500.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 1:42 pm

That's not too bad.
My WR-250R stood on the street for nearly a year (used for steet sport riding), running the stock Bridgestone model tires, and the rear would last about 1,500 miles.
They did grip well.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm

My stock rear was shot at about 2,800 miles.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 2:56 pm

I think I got about 300 miles or less out of mine............................. Very happy

Before I changed to something better. wink
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:39 pm

5K ... Maybe another 750 left in them. I'm 50/50 dirt/street too but my dirt is very sandy.
Back to top Go down
viroid

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:31 am

I just replaced my original stock tires at 8500 miles; mostly riding on pavement.

...v
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Answering my own question. At 3,000 miles, my rear tire was well worn (5/32" tread depth and a couple of chunked knobs). I did a 500-mile trip this past weekend, 300 of which were on very rocky desert trails. Down another 32nd on tread depth and dozens of chunked knobs.

How many miles on stock tires? 1052291607_ihxzK-M

I was concerned for my tire and traction on the last leg of the journey was poor. I put the D606 rear on yesterday and test rode it today. Thought I'd just do couple of donuts in the dirt to scrub them. The damn thing nearly launched me - wasn't expecting it to hook up like that. Real knobbies in the dirt actually grip. Who knew? I put a Pirelli MT21 on the front.

New chain and 13/47 sprockets too. I liked the 12/43 ratio but glad to have the 12T off. The plastic chain guard isn't worn through.
Back to top Go down
huxuecan

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 am

I got about 4500 out of my first set of stockers, but they were damn near bald when i took them off.
ugg boots bailey button
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 am

^Best personalized spam I've seen yet!!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Those are awful perdy. :)
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

approx 4500-5000k out of the rear. I now have a Avon Distanzia on the rear and up to 7700 miles on the odometer. Still running the stock fron knobbie tho.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

I ride about 70% this:

How many miles on stock tires? CR106Curves

And about 30% of this:

How many miles on stock tires? Sunday11-28011

I get about 3500 miles on TW Rear, 7000 on front.

Tried a set of D606. Fantastic in the mud, but poor wear on front from street braking, At 3000 miles, this is the front:

How many miles on stock tires? 11-19-10008
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 am

Probably not that unusual.

My T63s were pretty much cooked (F+R) at 2200.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am

wow! I was wondering about that! I only have 1,200 fairly easy street miles on mine and notice the rear is wearing pretty fast! It does grip good for a knobby style tire though!

What is the best bang for the buck replacement for street use?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Swapped my first set of Trailwings out at 4000 miles and actually bothered to measure the tread before putting the next set of Trailwings on.

3mm of tread left at the center (which means approaching starting to wear the mould flashing), the new Trailwings had 10mm before they went on. I think they lasted about the same amount of time, and this third set again about the same. More or less. I'll be putting a new set of Trailwings on as soon as the damned snow melts and you can do something more than ride up and down on the slab.

I ride somewhere between 30 - 50% slab, the rest is mostly gravel forest service roads, mining access roads, branch roads, etc. Pretty hard road surfaces, very little mud and no sand. Lots of big square potholes and washboard from logging and haul trucks.

For this kind of riding the Trailwings are an excellent tire that grips and wears well. There probably is a better tire somewhere for this kind of riding, but I'm pleased enough with the Trailwings that I'll just keep using them as long as unhappy campers are prepared to sell me their unused Trailwings cheap.

Yes, I am the official environmentally friendly Deathwing recycling service. Got a new set of those terrible Deathwings? Don't want to risk your life on these scary, unreliable tires? Send them to me and I'll make sure they don't end up in the hands of some unwary, unsuspecting rider.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 4:18 pm

I took mine off after just 29 miles..my first ride with them. They definitely do not work for the slippery sand and mudd that is my normal riding terrain. I ride about 95& off road. I replaced them with a tire I was very happy with on my DRZ, which was the Pirelli XCMH's. Great offroad tire for the stuff we ride around here.

I did ride with them to work and back the other day..just to get an accurate weight on the bike, using pallet scale. I did not like the knobbies for that....they are really most for offroad..and certainly onroad speeds below 65 MPH.

With that said, I'll hang onto the trail wings, just in case I ever need to do a road trip on this bike and or am going to ride some harder terrain. Can't give them away around here anyway. eeek
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 am

DougZ wrote:
With that said, I'll hang onto the trail wings, just in case I ever need to do a road trip on this bike and or am going to ride some harder terrain. Can't give them away around here anyway. eeek
Of course you can give them away - I'll take them and pay the shipping here if you can't find somebody to give them away to locally.

But you're right to hang on to them in case you ever get a bee in your bonnet and decide to do a long adventure ride, rather than playing in the local sand and mud. That's what they were intended for.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Shoot, I'll ride up to Jersey and take them. deal
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 4:00 pm

skierd wrote:
Shoot, I'll ride up to Jersey and take them. deal

You come through this way Skierd and need tires..they are your's. Heck, I'll even help you mount them up. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 7:29 pm

At 4500 miles or so I bought a used rear Distanzia from my friend who rode from here in Athens, GA to Salinas, CA and back on his BMW.
Had about half its life left but he was installing a new set anyhow so I picked it from him for $45.

I ran the stock front Trailwing down to the wear bars and ran the last of the life out of the used Avon rear.
Last week at 9300 miles I finally broke out the credit card for some new shoes.
Avon Distanzia front and rear with Maxxis heavy duty tubes.
It is as if it is a new motorcycle.
I did a poker run with some friends Saturday. Had a 90 mile ride with 4 stops along the way. Leaving out of Helen, GA and heading back in there are plenty of sweet and fun curves like the Dragon has. It was a great time and the WR handles SO WELL with the Avon's.
I left and went the long way home. Went NW out of town and added a 22 mile ride thru the woods and forest service roads and came out along side the Appalacian Trail where it crosses one of our many roads.

The Avon tires hooked up really well for leaning in the curves as well as performed well on the oftem traveled forrest access roads and remote, seldomly traveled trails. Just wish I had my boxes mounted to carry my air pump. Would have liked to drop a few pounds of air when off road but the tires kicked ass non the less.

Since I have to travel across quite a bit of asphalt they are a good choice for my use. So base your selection on the conditions your in and around.
Now if i lived in the great north I would have the gnarliest treads I can find so I can chase SheWolf around.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Ok, just read this so nvm on the other thread. thumb Chasing is good...very good. Very happy lurk

mucker

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 pm

The guy I bought my bike from just changed the stock tires out around 8900 kms/ 5500 miles...he said said they were wore, right out...if that helps.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 9:21 am

I replaced my ''deathwings" at about 4500 miles. they were pretty worn out..I'm running 606 now and really like them I got about 5500 miles but they were worn pretty low,,they are better on the street than i thought they would be,.I'm on my 2nd set,,I am going to replace my tires every spring.................Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on stock tires?   How many miles on stock tires? Empty

Back to top Go down

How many miles on stock tires?
Page 1 of 1