Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Aerostitch Grip Heaters?

Go down 
+2
skierd
MeefZah
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Aerostitch Grip Heaters? Empty
PostSubject: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Anyone tried the Aerostitch ones that go on the outside surface of the grips?

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 pm

I think you'd be surprised with the amount of heat that radiates through the grips on an "under grip" heated element installation, especially if you use large diameter heat shrink and put it over the clutch side bar before doing the installation. I don't think the thickness of the grips will make the heat less usable.

I have used several sets of Symtec under elements on past bikes. This most recent set gave me some problems but for the most part they have been trouble free and very warm. My current heated grips are Oxford brand, which seem to be very nice for the money. (Oxford also makes a wrap style like what you describe).

I chose not to use the wrap style because you have to remember to bring them with you. If you take off on a sunny and warm day and stay out after dark and the temperature drops, you may not have the grips with you to slide on. No such problems with the under element grips, they are always on the bike. I also hate to stop, so even once I get cold, I probably wouldn't take the time to pull over and put on the over grips; with the under element style you just hit a switch.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:08 pm

The 'stich ones are the oxford ones.

I ended up going with hot grips, http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/rider-comfort/heated-grips-accessories/hot-grips.html, except I ordered directly from Hot Grips. Part number is 475-001 or something like that, 7/8" bars, shortest grip, open ends. They're fantastic for swing season riding and mediocre for real winter or even late fall coldness. I'd imagine the wrappers are similar in performance, but slightly less convenient unless you like being able to take them on and off all year long.

Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:11 pm

I've got the Symtec ones on my bike. I wrapped the clutch side with a layer of electrical tape and they work very well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thanks!   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:15 pm

thx, will take a look

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:30 pm

BigFeet wrote:
I suppose I should also do this with the aluminum throttle grip tube? It's a throttle tamer aftermarket tube.
....t

Yes, yes, yes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Makes sense.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 am

Here's one more company/product to look at if you haven't decided on what kind. I used them on my last bike...Loved them, good company. They asked questions, answered questions...top notch customer service.

*they could answer your question about the throttle tube just in case i was wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:40 pm

thx

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 pm

edit; dead link removed

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Good luck getting in touch with Dual-Star. I've actually been trying to get in touch with them for the last 3 weeks. No one answers the phone . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 am

I hear ya'.

Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:07 pm

BigFeet wrote:
I may go ahead and give these a try. They may help with my specialized needs.

Looks like I misspelled Aerostich...

L

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/rider-comfort/heated-grips-accessories/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

I have these. They work well. I have small hands and the increased diameter is only a problem in rough terrain. On the street, they are excellent and so easy to put on and off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks, NJBill

Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:01 pm

BigFeet wrote:

I have really fat grips. Do you think these types of heaters are long enough to go all the way around fat grips?

Thanks again...

Larry

Yes, there is a lot of overlap on the velcro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:07 pm

:thumb:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aerostitch Grip Heaters?   Aerostitch Grip Heaters? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aerostitch Grip Heaters?
Page 1 of 1