Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tubes

Go down 
+5
Dancamp
gatorfan
GusinCA
ZED
granite4brains
9 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Tubes   Tubes EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Just curious what most folks use for their tubes: standard, heavy duty or ultraheavy duty?

I went with the heavy duty recently. But, have had the ultras recommended to me, but they seem so bulky and heavy?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm

I used to run heavy duties. I stopped because every single flat I got was caused by something that even a heavy duty tube could not withstand. Nails and screws are most common for me. More recently I got a big screw driver in one.

Now I just use standard tubes. That combined with my light ContiForce SM sumo tires makes for very light wheels.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:42 pm

I use the Ultra heavy Duty tubes, can't stand flat tires. In the 6 years of hard riding on them I've never had one...
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:06 pm

First 3K mi. with stock. 3 Flats.

Next 2K mi. with HD. No flats -- so far.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 am

ZED wrote:
I used to run heavy duties. I stopped because every single flat I got was caused by something that even a heavy duty tube could not withstand. Nails and screws are most common for me. More recently I got a big screw driver in one.

Now I just use standard tubes. That combined with my light ContiForce SM sumo tires makes for very light wheels.

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I had a nail go through my tire a cpl rides ago - no tube was gonna stop that.

I'll probably stick with the heavy duties for now - can't see a real reason to go for the ultra's right now.

Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:55 am

Here the way I see it.

Heavy duty is better when you ride offroad with low pressure in your tires. These tubes are better resisting pinching flats. Also if you don't ride to hard, you don't need heavy duty tubes.

Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 pm

Tubliss.
Back to top Go down
john92

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:03 pm

I recently went with Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty because my shop had them and not regular HD. They are some seriously beefy tubes! It's nice knowing they're under my tires.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:32 am

Dancamp wrote:
Here the way I see it.
Heavy duty is better when you ride offroad with low pressure in your tires. These tubes are better resisting pinching flats. Also if you don't ride to hard, you don't need heavy duty tubes.
How low are you running? I do ride pretty hard even on my streat wheels in rocky terrain and haven't had a pinch flat on the motorcycle.
I also put on about 20,000km/year on four bikes. (two tubes, two tubeless sport bikes) I average about one flat per year.

joenuclear wrote:
Tubliss.

Cool. What wheels?
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:57 pm

joenuclear wrote:
Tubliss.

thumb

Yep, just put them on my bike. So far, I'm impressed.

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm

The Tubliss look awesome but they are also pretty expensive, spend more on those then a new set of tires!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 pm

What's the advantage of a tubeless tire on a dual-sport?

Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm

If you want full details you can go to Tubliss.com and read about them, but the short version is you can run lower psi, and you won't get pinch flats.
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm

I learned another advantage to Tubliss the other day. I ran over something that holed my almost new Maxxis Desert IT on my XRR. The hole took 10 plugs to fill and after about 20 miles the plugs blew out and 10 more wouldn't hold air. Whatever holed the tire ruined it and would have ruined a tube also. The advantage is that the Tubliss inner core still kept the bead seated. I was able to run the tire between 25 & 30 miles to get to my truck. About 40 MPH the tire would stand up and act normal. The last 4 miles were in downtown traffic and it a a little squirrelly but manageable.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 pm

That system does look really awesome. I just put new tires and UHD tubes in, but next time I get new tires I'll have to try that system...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubes   Tubes Empty

Back to top Go down

Tubes
Page 1 of 1