Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries

Go down 
+2
ZED
Dancamp
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries Empty
PostSubject: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Saw these guys in another site. Website looked good, excellent comms.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Keep us informed. Batteries this size with that much power is interesting. And if the cold doesn't affect them it's even better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 am

Will do.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm

BigFeet wrote:

I brought them inside today. My suspension is in Virginia, the seat is in California... so 'til the bike parts are at least back here in the frickin' "freezer" (Colorado), I figure no sense chillin' the batts.

I guess when it's stone bitter cold here, the smallest batt I bought will be only a tad questionable... the mid-sized batt I bought will supposedly be gross overkill. We'll see. I'll tell ya'. I "sway-ya". BTW, even the mid sized battery is WAY lighter than stock.

-feet

I have a fellow rider that did part of the frozen butt with Paul Mondor last winter. He went from Sherbrooke to Labrador and back in February. The batteries are a problem in this kind of trip. He did it with a BMW800GSHe and now he wants to setup a WR to be a winter machine able to start by itself down to -30C.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Keep in mind that is a bit extreme. Most people don't ride in sub freezing weather let alone -30C.

Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 1:27 am

ZED wrote:
Keep in mind that is a bit extreme. Most people don't ride in sub freezing weather let alone -30C.

He knows that and that's the challenge.

Batteries that don't drain off from the cold would certainly help.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 am

He certainly would understand that. He and Mondor, though both a little AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries Screwy, they certainly know about cccold. The comment was more to keep the general conversation in perspective.

I'm not sure that a battery exists that doesn't flatten faster in the cold. In severe cold situations vehicles aren't shut down because the batteries may flatten quickly enough that they won't start again. Some trucks even have coolant loops with an auxiliary heater just for keeping the coolant loop in the battery box warm.

It would be interesting to see if he finds a battery that doesn't flatten in the cold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Lithium cold start   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 1:15 pm

edit: this post was verbose. edited for brevity.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 1:52 pm

info of cold performance would be helpful

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Last year he installed an engine blanket around the motorcycle with an IR lamp. The heat didn't propagate enough to warm the oil and the battery. He had to keep the battery inside the motel and even then it took to much amps cause the engine was to cold.

We're not sure if it's only because of the oil. The metal itself seems to change in dimension and it affects the play between the parts. All the bikes needed to be boosted except one. I'll find out wich one it was.

anyway a battery with more cranking power than lead is needed.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:34 pm

None of the bikes have a lithium battery. He is waiting to have reports on their reaction in cold climate before installing one.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 pm

I think this type of battery is neat. Not because I'm interested in the cold (hate the stuff actually) but because I like the minimal weight.
I believe the cold will weaken the charge of the battery regardless of it being lead-acid, gel, AGM, Lithium-(something wonderful), or whatever. However, that should just be temporary. As long as it doesn't truly 'freeze' it should be fine when it warms up. A traditional lead-acid battery can truly freeze and burst. I'm not sure if the Li-??? ones can. Makes one wonder about testing that. hmmm... scratch

For cold weather starting I would think a stick on (not magnetic) oil pan heater would work well for a motorcycle and keep the whole engine warm. I'm thinking of putting one on the smart car. It's a 3 cylinder 1 litre alloy engine with no block heater so shares much in common with a motorcycle except that it has more coolant.

Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Just realized that one of our KLRs is in need of a new battery by spring. The KLR battery is bigger than the WR battery but the day I weighed it it came in at 11 lbs. A suitable replacement for the KLR650 according to the antigrav website is:

8-Cell 12v 4.6 Ah Battery 240 Cold Cranking Amps- Weight 1.6 lb

That's a big difference. I'm not going to bother getting one now as it would be just one more battery sitting here for winter, but I'll likely try one out in the spring. They say they ship internationally. Time will tell if they can ship to Canada.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 am

Weight reduction was my main interest.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: AntiGrav Battery Installation   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 4:41 pm

edit; dam servimg pics crashed. ?

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 5:06 pm

yup. same here.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 am

Nice installation. thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bhmax

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 am

I've had a 4 cell in mine for a few months. Works great. Haven't done a lot of cold riding, but the bike was outside the other night. Think it got down to 28*F and started up no problem the next morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 pm

good info, thx

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Suitability   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 3:39 pm

We know a few things about lithium-x batteries. They're more expensive than reasonable lead acid, they are much lighter, they are much smaller, there are loads of firms offering to sell you all sorts of versions some of which sound like 'snake-oil', they display slightly different staring behaviour (slow and building), they don't tend to lose charge just sitting around, They are fussy to charge.

My other questions revolve around their suitability for long trips - how well does a WR stator charge them? Do they like being charged relentlessly or charged/discharged etc? Do they like being vibrated across x,000 miles of a RTW trip? How do you know what you can run off them (bike running/not running)? How do you test their voltage with a voltmeter, what to expect and what does that tell you? Maybe its just a slight reeducation of my leadacid knowledge. Maybe there is nothing to fear. Is it worth ruining a massive trip for the sake of a leadacid oem?

Questions, questions...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 4:13 pm

bought a 4 cell as a spare just in case

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Cold evening ride   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 pm

cranked over just like with stock battery at 29.7f

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Update on 8 cell battery - AOK so far   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 pm

has been 2 months; working great so far.

Last edited by LightFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 am

Those are pretty sweet batteries.

I am def in the market for one, as soon as my reg battery gives up the ghost. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries   AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries Empty

Back to top Go down

AntigravityBatteries - Lithium Batteries
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next