Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cleaning metal?

Go down 
+6
little squirt
SheWolf
Pete
Matty
duanew
Medski
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Medski

Medski

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Anyone know how I could, if thats even possible, to make my Q4 look cleaner.. (more like new)

It's sort of a mess right now with the cross continent road trip.

Cleaning metal? Img_1115

So yeah any ideas?

Also, it's starting to lose fabric each side of the Aluminum main cylinder. I guess it's time for a repack?
Back to top Go down
duanew

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Hmmmm. I have no answers. I was wondering if the outside of the muffler got hot enough to melt bags because I have felt it after running and it did not seem too hot. I guess that it does.
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 5:44 pm

duanew wrote:
I guess that it does.

It's fine as long as it doesn't make contact. I rode 7 to 13hrs a day stopping for gas and food and it burnt on like the 4th to last day because the bag slipped off an awkward way and touched with the exhaust.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Get some "Goof Off." If that doesn't work. Spray it black or silver with some high heat header paint.

Last edited by Matty on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:50 pm

I'd hit it with a rotary tool with some kinda scuff pad on it personally. Then just work my way down the ladder in terms of different grits till it looked decent enough. Or just get the burnt shit off and hit it with some kinda hi-temp black paint, hehe.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 11:43 am

Med, I'd repack it. As for cleaning burned stuff like that, Goo Gone works a treat. The only thing that it won't remove are the heat scores. You'll have to get a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper (800) and just sand it off...if you want to keep it looking normal. Cleaning metal? 810411

little squirt

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 9:21 pm

call fmf and they can most likely send you just the sleeve. if you have a pop rivet tool your all set and prob for like $30 or so
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Oven cleaner is the way to do it on steel pipes, I don't know what it does to aluminum but next time you are in the store you could read some instructions, maybe there is something that won't hurt aluminum
If you get on it with sandpaper it will never look the same again
I used to make knives as a hobby and I can tell you sanding a piece of metal and making it look like you didn't sand it takes a lot of tricks, on a large piece of material it's even harder
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: not quite correct   Cleaning metal? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 8:45 pm

You can buff/polish AL. Its a bitch, but doable with the proper buffer and compounds.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 11:56 am

If the melted material is nylon, use a heat gun & acetone to soften & remove it since its basically a plastic. It should work without harming the anodized finish on the aluminum. Flitz metal polish should remove the heat scorching.
Back to top Go down
GaryH

GaryH

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am

Mothers aluminum and mag polish works very well! Cleaned up this 89 KDX pretty good. Cleaning metal? Kdx200021
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cleaning metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning metal?   Cleaning metal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning metal?
Page 1 of 1