Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Metal on metal sound under engine braking!

Go down 
+2
Heoz
oic0
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Metal on metal sound under engine braking! Empty
PostSubject: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 10:36 am

At first I thought it was the clutch as it does it when I downshift and let the clutch rev the motor slowly. But I noticed it also does it when I just let off the throttle at a high enough rpm that there is decent engine braking. I dont see any of the chain slider missing, but is it possible to tell if its been gone through without removing it?

The sound is like a shot bearing when its spun at a slowish pace though I dont think thats what it is.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 am

You can remove the slider without removing anything else from the bike. See this thread

Some quick/inexpensive items to try: lube the chain rollers, lube the chain, chain adjustment & sprocket alignment, check condition of sprockets.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 am

You don't have that god-awful 2008 rubber-ringed rear sprocket do you?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 12:17 am

Waiting on a slider to come in the mail, didnt check the one thats on there yet.

Adjusted the chain and made sure the wheels were lined up. The chain was a bit loose, but its still making the noise :( Basically does it any time you are decelerating now, even coasting with the clutch in.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Me too   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm

I started hearing a similar sound under engine braking. I wasn't sure if I hadn't noticed it before or it was a new sound. I take really good care of my chain. To me it sound like (on my bike) it's coming from the otherside of the front sproket. It has never gotten worse, and I have put at least 10,000 miles on the bike since I first noticed it. I have attributed it to the natural sound of the bike at this point. I have an '09.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Didnt update but I found the problem on mine. The chain was munching the underside of the swing arm. I put a new chain wear slider on.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: ball bearing sound on decel   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:04 pm

I caught mine before the swing arm got munched with less than a mm of slider left, but the real issue was the chain. The chain was worn out and made that awful rumbling sound of a bad bearing noise, new chain - no noise, new slider - safer swing arm.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Resolved   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Out of sheer chance after I looked at this today, it was time to clean my chain. After I put it back on I noticed it was really loose. Usually I tighten it to the exact manufacture specs (what the hell was I thinking), but since I was in a hurry I just winged it. Apparently the exact factory specs were wrong because it was too loose. After tightening it today I noticed the noise magically went away. It only took me 11,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 am

Beauregard wrote:
Out of sheer chance after I looked at this today, it was time to clean my chain. After I put it back on I noticed it was really loose. Usually I tighten it to the exact manufacture specs (what the hell was I thinking), but since I was in a hurry I just winged it. Apparently the exact factory specs were wrong because it was too loose. After tightening it today I noticed the noise magically went away. It only took me 11,000 miles.

When the chain is eating the swingarm, it quiets down when you tighten the chain.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Mine rubbed into the top of the swing arm. I was looking for a new slider (called a "seal, guard" in the schematics) and I am getting prices of $50. Where did ya'll get ya'lls? How much were they if you don't mind me asking?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 pm

I paid about $50 :( on the upside it can be changes without removing any other pieces. I went to a bigger sprocket combo to eliminate the rubbing. 14:47 if I remember right. People say if you keep the chain adjusted right and often you can run a 12 front. Well I can't lol. I put on a lot of miles and am not that diligent so I need the extra tolerance of big sprockets.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Quick search found this http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-3D7-22151-00-00.html. price 36.05 with 6.95 shipping by USPS. Decent price
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 pm

oic0 wrote:
I paid about $50 :( on the upside it can be changes without removing any other pieces. I went to a bigger sprocket combo to eliminate the rubbing. 14:47 if I remember right. People say if you keep the chain adjusted right and often you can run a 12 front. Well I can't lol. I put on a lot of miles and am not that diligent so I need the extra tolerance of big sprockets.
I did the same thing. I'm pretty happy with 14/47. The final ratio is just a bit lower than stock. I don't worry about chain tension as much now, and my slider still looks oretty good. I've only got about 8000 miles on the bike though.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah, I just ordered a new slider, and a 14t front. It's gonna make me paranoid now. But I suppose you can't check you bike too much.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 am

A 14t front without going bigger on the rear is the right at the limit of what you can still pull 6th gear with. I liked it for commuting. You may not like it if ur bike is just a fun time toy. Its really not as big a difference as people make it out to be since any not WOT situation you just compensate with more throttle. Also the speedometer is less retarded so grab a gps or risk a ticket if you normally drive at just under ticket magnet speeds ( hard to do on this bike without gps. Speedo calibration is trash).

What part of louisiana you in? I'm in shreveport. Know ur not here as ive never seen another wr lol.
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 am

Baton Rouge. I saw a X once at the house next to mine. I got all excited. Thats the only Dual I've ever seen in my area. Yeah I am going to go bigger in my rear at some point, but just not now. The $50 slider was a lot of money. Especially for a piece that cost around $2.50 to manufacture.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 5:36 am

Beauregard wrote:

What "spec" were you using?

clicky here <-- first page, about 3 posts up from very bottom

I think the general conclusion from most is a too loose chain won't eat swing arm slider anywhere near as much as a too tight chain.

And by the way - the chain is supposed to rub the slider, and the slider is supposed to be inspected and changed when needed.

I got 10,000 miles out of my slider before I changed it, and I still had a small amount of slider left.

Inspect when you change your oil.

If in doubt, one bolt allows you to remove the slider and reinstall if it looks great.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah I discovered that it was too tight and rubbing on the swing arm. I ordered a replacement slider, but I have a major problem paying $50 for a OEM part that cost no more than $2.50 to make. I am looking into alternatives to the OEM slider. Any advice. I am going to try out my plastic molding skills.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 6:52 am

Beauregard wrote:

motokid wrote:
What "spec" were you using?

clicky here <-- first page, about 3 posts up from very bottom

Beauregard wrote:
Yeah I discovered that it was too tight and rubbing on the swing arm. I ordered a replacement slider, but I have a major problem paying $50 for a OEM part that cost no more than $2.50 to make. I am looking into alternatives to the OEM slider. Any advice. I am going to try out my plastic molding skills.

I'm confused. You stated the chain was too loose based on "factory specs" in one post, then said your chain was too tight?? scratch

And while $50 for a swing-arm protector might sound like a lot, check the price of a swing arm.

I got 10,000 miles on my original protector. I don't get that out of a set of tires and they cost way more than $50.

It's all relative.

(I got my swing-arm protector from a great guy selling a brand new one on this forum. $30 shipped thumb Very happy )

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah I thought (I know that was my problem) that the factory specs were too loose, apparently at factory spec it was still too tight. Live and learn I guess.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 am

I've never heard anyone complain that the Yamaha spec I linked you too was "too tight".

In fact, any looser and I'd think you'd be in risk of sprocket damage and/or even the chain jumping teeth or jumping off sprocket all together.

How loose is your chain now?

Can you push it up into your swingarm with little effort?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 am

I was using the spec that is in my user manual, which for the life of me I cannot locate at this time. It is different than the one you linked me. I havn't put my chain back on yet. Waiting for the slider. The spec I went by is either too tight or I did it wrong, because after only 3,000 miles it was grinding into the swing arm.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:48 am

I havent been able to adjust by any spec either. I just sit my fat ass on the back fender and back it off until the chain isn't too tight. Then bounce on it to fully compress the rear suspension to make sure it isn't too tight anywhere in travel. Every time I go by one of the specs, its way too tight when I compress it.

That said, my slider lasted about 9,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal on metal sound under engine braking!   Metal on metal sound under engine braking! Empty

Back to top Go down

Metal on metal sound under engine braking!
Page 1 of 1