Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?

Go down 
+7
dogfarm
camaroz1985
DragonNester
Bikeman
format120
Pokey
sm171
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sm171

Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? Empty
PostSubject: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:04 am

For offroad I use a Garmin Map60. I've had this unit for 3 years and it has worked well ans it's fairly rugged. They also make a color version.

I can transfer maps and routes to and from the GPS using a laptop.

Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? Dscn1610
Back to top Go down
sm171

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 am

Another tip: Many of these units allow for alkaline batteries or a 12V power cord . I have found when using batteries the GPS will shut off due to vibration. I've never had a problem when hard wired. Also it's lighter without those batteries. I have three bikes set up using something like this kit. You will want a 2-Amp fuse and most electrical supply places carry the weather proof type below.

Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? Screen10
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I have 2 Garmin 2720 units......they are the shiznit!!!!!
Back to top Go down
format120

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm planning on getting a Garmin 60CSX soon. A lot of ADV riders like them.

Where did you get that scroll-like contraption to the left of the Garmin? Do you just print the route directions out or do you laminate them too?
Back to top Go down
sm171

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 pm

format120 wrote:
Where did you get that scroll-like contraption to the left of the Garmin? Do you just print the route directions out or do you laminate them too?

I got mine at Cycle Gear but most online shops sell them.

It's a roll chart holder. A roll chart (also known as a "route sheet") is a scroll that has directions on it.
They take you from turn "A" to turn "B" and you use your trip meter to follow the chart. The roll chart is handed out during a race or event.

Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:04 am

I use a Garmin 276. The big screen is awesome compared to the 60c I have also. Makes finding detour routes much easier. For off roading making sure the unit can use tracks you upload to it is by the far the biggest requirement.

Last edited by Bikeman on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I have the Garmin 60CSx and love it. It took some getting used to though. I use City Navigator for the mapping and Map Source as the compatible PC software.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I use a Garmin Colorado 300. It works great for my needs, can accept tracks and also can do turn by turn directions on road (but no sound for voice guidance). I use it in a RAM mount on the triple tree clamp bolt. I have a RAM aquabox on the other other side that I put my phone in for on road GPS and for music when on the highway and boring stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
dogfarm

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 7:23 pm

I use the Garmin Oregon. It will last 6-8 hours on batteries so I don't need to connect it to a power connector. It is a hiking unit so it is very durable. I had to buy the City Navigator Maps separately. It works pretty well but I would like to get a Montana because has a hard mount and bigger screen. The hard mount would make it practical to run off the bike power.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I use the Garmin Montana:

Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? DSCN4810

Yes, it's a tad spendy, but what a great unit. The large screen and quick maps are worth the price of admission, IMHO.

Lucecannon likes this post

Back to top Go down
garlicrider65

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 pm

+1 on the Garmin Montana. I use it with the hard wired AMPS Rugged Mount and a RAM mounting kit. Works great for offroad use on my WRR.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 pm

garlicrider65 wrote:
+1 on the Garmin Montana.  I use it with the hard wired AMPS Rugged Mount and a RAM mounting kit.  Works great for offroad use on my WRR.
That's the mount I'm using. It's so convenient to have a powered mount.
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 8:52 am

Hi gents
I use a Montana 600;perfect for my, a little bit complicate at the begining for understand all possibilities, but now it's ok. Resistant,waterproof,perfect for enduro rides. Service costumer ok and friendly.
I use it with map topo V2 France , with basecamp to create rides enduro, i don't use profils on , i prefer do it manuely
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 2:05 pm

I really like the Montana series. I will probably upgrade to one of them at some point. I like the powered cradle so there is nothing exposed to water or dirt. With the colorado I will just unplug it and run on battery if it rains or I am going through a lot of mud.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Montana   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:35 pm

I recently upgraded to a Montana 600.  I really like it.  Is very versatile.  Takes some study to figure out all the features. Can upload both routes and tracks and follow them.  You can even have the unit show a track while you follow a route which over lays the track. That way if you get off the route and the unit re-routes you can still see the track and where you should be, if that makes any sense.  A bit pricey, but worth it.

I have been using a Nuvi 500 for the last 4 years. It is water proof and less costly.  Also set up to be motor cycle friendly.  This unit served me well.   The biggest issue is that you cannot up load and follow tracks. But there is a work around.  The Nuvi 500 does let you upload and follow routes along mapped roads.

FYI. If you ride trails and not mapped roads, you will likely want a unit that can use tracks.

Both units have a good size screen.  Makes it much easier to read the GPS when riding for these old eyes.  

So if you can spend the $$$. Get the Montana.

If you need a less expensive unit and mainly ride mapped roads, a Nuvi 500 can do the job.

I use both units on a RAM mount with hard wire to the motor bike electrical system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?   Offroad Oriented?  What GPS Do You Use & Like? Empty

Back to top Go down

Offroad Oriented? What GPS Do You Use & Like?
Page 1 of 1