Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

changing sprocket and chain

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
inspector
6 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

changing sprocket and chain Empty
PostSubject: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Just some interesting pics. Take-em leave-em, i don't care.

chain has some DEFINITE wear which I've know about for awhile now. When you see this, "you have a problem"
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1624

Never really looked at the front sprocket, didn't really care.
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1623
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1622

Installing the new one. No one ever mentioned the detents don't line back up. Are you just supposed to make new ones?
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1628
Buncha pics of the rear.

Anyone know how to mount this bad boy?
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1632

Old one over new one so you can see it's bigger. 45tooth vs. 43 tooth
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1626

changing sprocket and chain DSCF1625

New mounted
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1627

Did you know you could remove and replace the chain slider with just removing the kickstand? Only 2 bolts.
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1631

Do you people actually know what to look for? I didn't until I ordered and installed a new one.
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1616
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1615
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1620
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1618
changing sprocket and chain DSCF1617

Don't get to see the new chain cause I broke my dust seal while trying to install. It will take about a week to get a new one in.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 11:30 pm

After you sock the front sprocket nut down to spec., you have to peen the flanged rib of the nut down into those two depressions in the shaft.
That's the locking feature between the nut and shaft.

Myself, I use a new nut.
Back to top Go down
soggytire

soggytire

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 2:00 am

Keep us up to date on how it rolls!
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 5:50 am

Nice photos and details on "how to".

Thanks for sharing. thumb
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:39 am

That rear sprocket alum or steel? Source? Thanks for the write-up!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 pm

greer wrote:
That rear sprocket alum or steel? Source? Thanks for the write-up!

Sarah

Steel. Alum is only for racing imo. Sprocket Center because someone else recommended them. Called to get the Tri-metal sprocket(cause it looks cool) and the guy said it was a joke. Ended up getting what-ever whole kit they had on sale for our bike. Didn't have to order bolts because I got the silver sprocket instead of the black (wtf?)

*I'm going to try the clip-style masterlink cause that is what it is shipped with. Pretty sure next time will go rivet style.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am

Thank you.

Doug and I use clips, too; we degrease and smear a bead of silicone on them once installed. Over the years we've each just lost one. Not bad but still causes a jolt when you look and the thing is gone. I googled a little this morning and found Master Link Clip Tricks:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280858

I'm nearly certain we've made the mistake of putting the "square edge in" every time.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:01 am

You are going to notice a HUGE difference in drive-train noise with your new setup.

As in much quieter. It'll be surprising.

I did not "peen" over my countershaft sprocket nut.

It's not loosened in about 3000 miles.

I have a c-clip x-ring chain and haven't lost a c-clip since I installed it over a 1000 miles ago.

Will have to try to figure out if I have it installed correctly.

I don't thrash mine off-road much so maybe that's a difference with c-clips popping off?????

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks sarah, didn't know that. My directions do say to back the plate off once installed so it's against the clip tho. Do you need to be careful not to pinch O'rings when installing (or do they just seat themselves?). Looking at it I'm thinking it's almost impossible NOT to pinch one of them.

*I went to put the chain on to at least get that done while waiting for the dust cover and found out I need/don't have the tool to install the master link. So I either need to go buy something or wait for a "friend" in the area to step up and help Very happy
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:13 pm

What "dust cover" you talking about?

And what tool do you need?

I installed mine without any special tools.

yes - you crush the o-ring (x-ring in my case) but it's rubber, it un-crushes.

Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm

We don't have a special tool of any sort. Put the chain together and fit the the plate on the pins; place a small diameter socket on the plate centered over one of the pins; use a pair of pliers to squeeze it together a little at a time alternating back and forth between pins. Don't rush, check your progress as you go and you won't squish the o-rings. All that clear as mud??!!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Yep...I used a pair of vice-grips, a socket, and flat piece of aluminum to back up the rivets on the far side.

I used the vice grips so I could adjust the amount of pressure needed a little at a time.

I would compress, attempt to put clip on, compress a little more, attempt clip again, and just work it a little at a time until I got it to snap on.

Again, the rubber rings are meant to compress and un-compress.

Unless you applied so much pressure as to rupture the o-ring you don't have to worry.

I do want to check about the stamped side of the c-clip facing out or in on mine though. That's some helpful advice. Makes perfect sense.

Which way the opening of the c faces is not something I debate though. The opening faces the opposite of the way the chain travels under acceleration.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: changing sprocket and chain   changing sprocket and chain Empty

Back to top Go down

changing sprocket and chain
Page 1 of 1