Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE

Go down 
+10
sswrx
trav72
DougZ
spacecadet
blueridge72
combo
YZEtc
GaryH
motokid
toast
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sswrx

sswrx

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 am

Where are you getting the mid-pipe from? Brand?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm

sswrx wrote:
Where are you getting the mid-pipe from? Brand?

Actually two options.

The first is to hack away on the stock pipe / muffler - remove the cat, EXUP, and muffler and add a small straight section to the pipe and add a flange to mate up with the GSXR pipe.

The second one is the one I am pursuing right now and will update once I have the pipe and modify the end to fit the flange on the GSXR can.

However, the DRD exhaust is growing on me...
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 am

Ok well my first plan for buying a midpipe fell through but the good news is that I just ordered one for another exhaust system and with a couple of minor tweaks I think it will work. The cost for the pipe was about $130.

Will post up once I get things together or I will admit defeat.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Look what came in the UPS truck this week:

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 397415_4701681954515_1395090635_n

Need to get a flange made to mate up to the GXSR can, dry fit everything, and then weld it up.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm

What brand is the mid-pipe? Also, post pics of the modification process!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 am

sswrx wrote:
What brand is the mid-pipe? Also, post pics of the modification process!

I ordered the mid-pipe for a Two Brothers Slip on Exhaust (005-2440406V). I contacted them and they told me they sold the mid-pipe separately - TBR# 005-24404S (WR250X (08-12) SS Slip-Tube) $ 129.98 +8.00 ups ground.

Right now I am working on fixing the subframe on my 03 450 EXC, after that I am installing the EB 3 circuit solution on my WRR with some LED spot lights and Powerlet outlets. Then I will get to making the final mod on the exhaust. Need to find a shop to make the flange for the mid-pipe.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm

My WR250R GSXR exhaust system LIVES!

Had a GSXR can on my DR650 and I really like the sound and performance. The GSXR can weighs about as much as the aftermarket stuff and based on some dyno tests seems to flow better than most of the aftermarket cans on the DR.

So I had the can, got a Two Brothers midpipe, and gave it a shot. Much quieter than the DRD can I had on it and maybe as quiet as the stock pipe. I need to fab up a bracket to attach the can to the bike - I don't think that wire tie will last too long on the trail.

Last edited by rsteiger on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 pm

rsteiger wrote:

Had a GSXR can on my DR650 and I really like the sound and performance. The GSXR can weighs about as much as the aftermarket stuff and based on some dyno tests seems to flow better than most of the aftermarket cans on the DR.

So I had the can, got a Two Brothers midpipe, and gave it a shot. Much quieter than the DRD can I had on it and maybe as quiet as the stock pipe. I need to fab up a bracket to attach the can to the bike - I don't think that wire tie will last too long on the trail.

Sounds pretty quiet. Is that the 40F0 or 18G1 muffler?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Looks and sounds good!

I wish there were aftermarket pipes like this avalible to buy, I dont have the skills/patience to build one lol.
Back to top Go down
AdvRich

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Well done!

I'm looking to do something similar. My WRX came with a fmf powercore 4 and its just too loud for anything more than back yard hooning for me. Plus, I don't want to be bothered with packing upkeep and water intrusion limitations. I put the stocker back on for now, but would like a maintenance free lighter, quiet performance pipe like what you've got on there.

Your rear rack looks interesting too. Is it set up for a Givi top box?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 8:21 pm

sswrx wrote:
rsteiger wrote:

Sounds pretty quiet. Is that the 40F0 or 18G1 muffler?

Not the 40F0 but the GSXR 600/750 version - 35F01. Same design but with stainless internals versus the Titanium of the 40F0 - weighs about a pound more. Still looking for a 40F0 and if I can get one at a decent price I probably will swap them out.

Last edited by rsteiger on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 8:30 pm

AdvRich wrote:
Well done!

I'm looking to do something similar. My WRX came with a fmf powercore 4 and its just too loud for anything more than back yard hooning for me. Plus, I don't want to be bothered with packing upkeep and water intrusion limitations. I put the stocker back on for now, but would like a maintenance free lighter, quiet performance pipe like what you've got on there.

Your rear rack looks interesting too. Is it set up for a Givi top box?

The actual install was pretty easy. The trick was finding the right midpipe for me. The Two Brothers Exhaust midpipe for their WRR exhaust system is just about perfect. I ordered the Exhaust gasket for my 2001 GSXR 750 can from my local Suzuki dealer and ordered the mating flange from Jesse at Kientech Engineering (he makes a bunch of these for the DR650 conversions along with the mid pipe).

I used a wire tie to hold the can up in position for my little video then later I made a temporary bracket from two pieces of 1/8" x 1" aluminum stock that I had. I have access to shop and when I get some time I will make a one piece bracket out of 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum stock.

Here are some pics with the temporary bracket:

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 581528_10200217427152875_738573647_n

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 562328_10200217427072873_65972284_n

The bracket for the top box is for one of those cheap JC Whitney boxes. I only use it when I am running around town and maybe on a short DS ride. For the longer rides I have one of those loop bags (and a heat shield that I will be using for the GSXR can) that I use. The bracket actually lined up with some slots on the top plate that I picked up on eBay so it went on pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Did the 35F01 muffler still end up being lighter than the stock one? Also, did you have to weld the flange on the midpipe or just slide it over & bolt it up.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:37 pm

sswrx wrote:
Did the 35F01 muffler still end up being lighter than the stock one? Also, did you have to weld the flange on the midpipe or just slide it over & bolt it up.

I never weighed it but handling it I would say it is lighter than the stock

I had a DRD exhaust on the bike before I did the 35F01 and I would say the DRD is lighter than the 35F01. But that DRD was just too loud for me.

I did not weld the flange. If you look at the TB midpipe it has a ring around it that the flange pushes against. I used the stock Suzuki GSXR gasket and then just tightened the flange down. So far no leaks. I guess if you wanted to you could weld the flange to the pipe. I am going to run around like this for a bit and see how it does.

So far so good. Took it down the road and got on it and it just purrs. No flat spots or back fires so I think I am going to leave my FMF programmer at it's current settings.

Went back to the DR650 website and pulled off some weights:

35F0 - 5.5 lbs
40F0 - 4.5 lbs

The Two Brothers Website has the stock system at 9 lbs.
Back to top Go down
AdvRich

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 am

All good info... Thanks! thumb
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Might have to try this too. Nearly half the weight & just as quiet with no repacking needed.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:51 pm

sswrx wrote:
Might have to try this too. Nearly half the weight & just as quiet with no repacking needed.

I actually think it is quieter but I will let you know in a couple of weeks when I go for a little ride with my friend and his close to stock WRR exhaust (EXUP removed/ tied back). We won't have anything scientific on hand to measure other than the gray matter between our ears.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Put a FMF Spark Arrestor on my GSXR WR250R exhaust. I am Forest Service legal now!

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 581489_10200240970061433_1706901380_n
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 pm

That looks like a perfect fit. Did it also make the exhaust even quieter?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 pm

sswrx wrote:
That looks like a perfect fit. Did it also make the exhaust even quieter?

Not quite perfect. With the 35FO you have to expand the pipe a bit so I went to Harbor Freight and picked up one of their cheap muffler pipe expanders (probably should have just taken it to the muffler shop) and cranked away till I got the SA to feed in. Then I took a wood block and a hammer to seat it in the rest of the way. The bolt and nut are probably over kill since it was a pretty tight fit but I had them so in they went.

If you have the 40F0 it is an exact fit to the outlet pipe and no need to mess around with a pipe expander.

The Spark arrestor is from a TI Exhaust FMF #040298. Dennis Kirk part number 432780.

I would say the SA dropped the noise level down a bit by taking some of the edge off the 'thump thump thump'. I will shoot another vid and post.

The one thing that freaked me out a bit today was that I felt an exhaust leak around the joint. I went to tighten up the nuts and then I saw that the GSXR can has a small hole in the bottom of it to allow for condensate/water to drain and that was where the 'leak' was coming from.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Here is a video of the bike with the GSXR muffler and FMF Spark Arrestor.

Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Wow that was quick! Great video, sounds like a stock exhaust. I'm definitely doing this to mine!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 1:22 am

Just scored a 40F0 (GSXR 1000 Titanium) can on eBay last night!

Will be swapping out the 35F0 (GSXR600/750 Stainless) when it gets here.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm

I made up another bracket for the GSXR can to clean things up a bit.

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 534065_10200255697509610_2027823256_n

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 155698_10200256310164926_1689389958_n

Originally I was going to add another eye-bolt in the bracket for an additional tie down but I think I may scrap that plan and just trim the bracket up a bit.

Did get a chance to compare sound level with my buddies stock bike. The GSXR can is louder but has a deeper tone. I have access to real calibrated sound meter so in the next few weeks I will get some readings and post them up.

Also Yoshimura sells a midpipe and clamp separately for their RS4 silencer.

Part # 13300-435 $170.00
Part # 22055 $4.75

These are a bit more pricey than the Two Brothers midpipe but it looks like it would route the GSXR can at a steeper angle and more forward. However, you may have to weld on another section of pipe if the can interferes with the subframe... hard to tell from the pics on their website.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 am

I cut open a 2003 Titanium can to see what it would take to shorten it. Doesn't look too bad.
I'm going to wait until I get the head pipe to see how much I want to cut. I would love to find a "40" can if someone finds one, but this one will work, it's just 1/2" bigger in diameter.

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 Photo-2

The inlet dumps into the 1st chamber to a bulkhead with another pipe offset going through it to the next chamber, the outlet is another pipe offset into that chamber & out. Those two pipes overlap, my plan is to shorten that chamber which will increase the overlap of the two pipes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: crotch rocket exhaust - DONE   crotch rocket exhaust - DONE - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

crotch rocket exhaust - DONE
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next