Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

GYTR RACK QUESTION

Go down 
+5
SheWolf
mwakey
Jäger
Nice Rumble
asheville thumper
9 posters
AuthorMessage
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 pm

So, the GYTR rack has been on backorder everywhere for a while now and it is supposed to be available beginning of April. Does anybody have a lead on where to get one? My dealer is of no help (as usual). Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nice Rumble

Nice Rumble

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 8:01 pm

The rack was released on the 8th of April. Mine was back ordered too but came in.

GYTR RACK QUESTION IMG_3922
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 8:34 am

Nice Rumble wrote:
The rack was released on the 8th of April. Mine was back ordered too but came in.

It looks good....I need one! Did you order it online or from your dealer?
Back to top Go down
Nice Rumble

Nice Rumble

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 am

I bought it from my dealer. I get a 15% discount from them.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Nice Rumble wrote:

Slightly off topic, but we still need a small, neat, compact rack we can hang some serious weight off of. The cycleracks option is a bit on the clunky side. If I can have somebody clinging on behind me on the buddy pegs, is it really too much to ask to have a small rack big enough to carry 25 - 30 lbs of camping gear and extra fuel?
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Jäger wrote:
Nice Rumble wrote:

Slightly off topic, but we still need a small, neat, compact rack we can hang some serious weight off of. The cycleracks option is a bit on the clunky side. If I can have somebody clinging on behind me on the buddy pegs, is it really too much to ask to have a small rack big enough to carry 25 - 30 lbs of camping gear and extra fuel?

Have you thought about the DirtBags or Wolfman saddle bags? They both hold a lot of stuff. Then get a small rack for the rest.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:21 pm

I just packed a 5 gallon jerry can of fuel back from the gas station on the R²on my recently installed tail rack. It seems to hold up quite nicely, and I think tossing some nice bags across it will be my next adventure. Just have to make em. thumb

0007onWR

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 10:24 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I just packed a 5 gallon jerry can of fuel back from the gas station on the R²on my recently installed tail rack. It seems to hold up quite nicely, and I think tossing some nice bags across it will be my next adventure. Just have to make em. thumb

LOL, now that's something that only look's right on the reserve
I might have some Genuine yamaha saddle bag's you can mod up to fit, I'll do some diggin in the basement
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Very happy Hey it's what, only 10 minutes to Little Condom for gas. Oh Rob got rescued and he's back on the road and headed up on his Dad's RS1100. He called from Hope and said he feels like he's been riding a horse because he's had to spread his legs apart more than he would on his XT. :poser1:We should go for a ride Saturday. thumb

Admin
Jäger

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 12:31 am

mwakey wrote:
Have you thought about the DirtBags or Wolfman saddle bags? They both hold a lot of stuff. Then get a small rack for the rest.
Well... I'm not sure how much room there will be after a three seasons sleeping bag, a tent, my fly fishing gear, and a hard case to protect my DSLR. Oh... and some extra gas. In fact, I'm a little suspicious I can't cram all of that into those bags, given their dimensions. It isn't just weight; it's bulk as well. I'm pretty sure guys like me need a real rack - which would also give me attachment points for a Kolpin rifle scabbard for elk and sheep hunting in the fall.

The cycleracks guy has the right idea; I'm just not sure why he feels the necessity to build his racks so they stand off so far from the sides of the bike. These aren't ATV's, after all.

I'm almost tempted to buy one of the things and then go see my buddy the metal fabricator and have him modify it to suit my idea of what the rack should look like. Skinny it up a bit and then add some lateral ladder framing to it on the left and some expanded metal on the right lined with some heat insulation so you don't fry stuff you carry close to the pipe. Would add a bit of weight to the rack, not much. But it would allow you to carry stuff much closer to the bike in big drybags and then strap them right tight to the rack as flat as possible.

I'm fussy...
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 am

Jäger wrote:
mwakey wrote:
Well... I'm not sure how much room there will be after a three seasons sleeping bag, a tent, my fly fishing gear, and a hard case to protect my DSLR. Oh... and some extra gas. In fact, I'm a little suspicious I can't cram all of that into those bags, given their dimensions. It isn't just weight; it's bulk as well. I'm pretty sure guys like me need a real rack - which would also give me attachment points for a Kolpin rifle scabbard for elk and sheep hunting in the fall.

Man, if you need to carry all that stuff why did you get a little WR? Why not something bigger or an ATV? Seems like an awful big load for the little 250.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 3:18 am

mwakey wrote:
Man, if you need to carry all that stuff why did you get a little WR? Why not something bigger or an ATV? Seems like an awful big load for the little 250.
I don't consider 30 lbs of gear to be a whole lot of stuff. And if I can stomp up and down mountains all day with the same gear in a backpack, I'm not sure why the 250 should suddenly roll over and die because of it - there are people here with WR's who weigh more than me and my stuff combined. The weight is not the issue - it is where to put the stuff on the bike.

Why not a bigger bike? Why should I get a bigger bike? I don't go camping or hunting every day. It goes as fast as I need to go on the tar. It is going to be better and quieter at plonking along at old single track, skidder trails, mining exploration roads, etc than a bigger bike. It is going to be less expensive than a bigger bike both to purchase and to run. And it is going to be a lot easier to physically drag over deadfalls and out of holes than a bigger bike. And ATV's? Forget it - if for no other reason than they aren't legal on the highways.

As far as that goes, buddy over on ADV has loaded far more stuff and travelled further on his WR than I am ever likely to. I don't need a bigger bike; I just need compact way to secure my stuff to the bike.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am

Jäger wrote:
mwakey wrote:
I don't consider 30 lbs of gear to be a whole lot of stuff. And if I can stomp up and down mountains all day with the same gear in a backpack, I'm not sure why the 250 should suddenly roll over and die because of it - there are people here with WR's who weigh more than me and my stuff combined. The weight is not the issue - it is where to put the stuff on the bike.

Why not a bigger bike? Why should I get a bigger bike? I don't go camping or hunting every day. It goes as fast as I need to go on the tar. It is going to be better and quieter at plonking along at old single track, skidder trails, mining exploration roads, etc than a bigger bike. It is going to be less expensive than a bigger bike both to purchase and to run. And it is going to be a lot easier to physically drag over deadfalls and out of holes than a bigger bike. And ATV's? Forget it - if for no other reason than they aren't legal on the highways.

As far as that goes, buddy over on ADV has loaded far more stuff and travelled further on his WR than I am ever likely to. I don't need a bigger bike; I just need compact way to secure my stuff to the bike.

I'm with Jager on this one, the WR is about the same size as my XT (frame wise) and I've packed close to everything I could need for a trip on the back (and on the tank) of that bike (IE: Clothes, tent, Sleepingbag, pillows, mini road side emergency kit, spare oil) with out it giving me even the slightest of problems, maybe a bit of a hassel to tie everything down but that's about it. If it's "storage of useless shit" space you're looking for... Put it in the back of a truck...
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:21 am

Great discussion... I've backpacked/snow-camped for weeks and carried it all on my back.

Putting it on a bike should be easier, but it's really not.

I'd like to see some of the creative solutions that do not include pannier frames.

Let's see the pics !
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 7:30 am

I agree 30lbs is nothing. Sure I don't want to weigh down my pride-and-joy with too much stuff but we need better {racks} carrying-solutions for this bike.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 7:54 am

X-Racer wrote:
Great discussion... I've backpacked/snow-camped for weeks and carried it all on my back.

Putting it on a bike should be easier, but it's really not.

Most people's backs are roughtly the same shape give or take a few inches. Almost every single bike needs a different rack - what a PITA! That's why it's not as easy as it should be. We pay all this money for rack builders to reinvent the wheel on every new bike that gets built!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: GYTR RACK QUESTION   GYTR RACK QUESTION Empty

Back to top Go down

GYTR RACK QUESTION
Page 1 of 1