Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?

Go down 
+12
phroenips
Midnite171
trav72
yellowredlight
Dancamp
SheWolf
zone47
Jäger
GusinCA
YZEtc
little squirt
glock19
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
glock19

Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? Empty
PostSubject: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 am

Hi my name is Rich and I just signed up on here to maybe help my decision. Im 23 about 5' 9" and weight 150 pounds. Will this bike feel to big for me? I haven't rode in while but I started with 80s and got to cr125, then sold it when I turned 16 to buy a car bannana

I loved my cr125 (was a 1998) and was wondering how the 250r would feel in comparison to power, handling, and jumping ability?
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 am

welcome aboard bro!! im was in the same boat, about the same size too! sold my VTR1000 and use to drag race a gsxr1100 turbo. ive never had so much fun on a single bike then this one. totally useful, can go anywhere and yes its a little down on power than my ktm 200, or cr500 dirtbike i used to have. but for street commuting and absolutely zero worries, this bike wins!!

check out my build up thread on my X version here:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?91034-*Project-Blue-Ballz*-My-WR250X-Build-Up-Thread

are you looking at a R or a X?

Aloha
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 am

Howdy. :)

First thing you have to do:
If you're talking about a WR-250R, make sure you understand about and look for the R on the end.
There are now (unfortunately, because it's a confusing marketing tactic) several models of Yamaha motorcycles that can be called WR-250, and mentioning it without the R on the end is a potentially risky thing when you're looking to buy things for the bike or look for info.

You're my weight and you're a few inches taller than me, and since I ride a WR-250X, myself (and rode a WR-250R last year), I feel that whether or not you think the bike is too big will be completely up to you.

The WR-250R isn't a motocross bike, and it's got a chunk more weight to carry around with suspension that's down a notch on the totem pole.
Typical for a dual-purpose bike.
Always been that way.
It's best at casual trail riding with your buddies or similar riding.
If you really have an eye on off-road use, knobby tires and lower gearing are required if you expect anything like dirt bike performance and feel.
I'd also do the uncorking mods that most people do to their WR-250Rs, too, which can be read about in the Sweet Mods forum.

In exchange for that, you get a bike that can go off-road that's also street-legal from the start, an engine that will last many miles as long as you don't spode-out and do something retarded like let dirt in the engine (air intake) or abuse it like an animal, and the bike has by now been proven since it's been around since 2008.
The chassis will require the same periodic maintenance a motocross bike requires (if you want it to remain in tip-top shape).
For example:
If you never remove the swingarm for a bearing lube, you can count on the swingarm pivot bolt rusting in place, just as with any other CR or YZ or RM.

The bike can be jumped, sure, but a CR-125R is still better for that.
The bike is basically, when you get down to it and spend time on different bikes, a street-legal bike that is meant to last many miles of street use and one that's OK for casual off-road use.
Back to top Go down
glock19

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm

thanks for the information guys! my friend was the one who originally told me about the bike. After looking online about it and seeing some videos im hooked! I have 4 mile round trip to work, so I can use it for that and finding some more trails would be awesome! My best friend is buy one first so im going see how I like his. I'm just afraid of getting one and getting into mx which I know the bike isn't made for. Normally I wouldn't even be thinking about a bike since I live In CT but the wrr is street legal and if i can drive it to woods trails I think it should be great.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Been riding 31 years.
I've had over 18 motorcycles.
This is the best one ever.
:)
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 pm

glock19 wrote:
Hi my name is Rich and I just signed up on here to maybe help my decision. I loved my cr125 (was a 1998) and was wondering how the 250r would feel in comparison to power, handling, and jumping ability?
If you are looking at this bike for a motocross type ride - wrong choice.

Doing the classic enduro riding - not as nimble as a KTM or Husky, but HighFive and Krabill and a few others here have shown that it is good enough to bring it back to "it's the rider, not the bike". And afterwards, ride the bike back home instead of putting it back on the trailer to head home.

It will do a six hour round trip commute on the highway in relative comfort - meaning, it isn't a Gold Wing, Wee Strom, or whatever, but you enjoy the ride instead of endure the ride. And then you can turn around and take it on a multi-week ride from Mexico to Canada, on dirt roads and trails most of the way. I haven't been out quite that long on my WRR, but I have done four days riding a traverse through the Rockies on abandoned mine exploration and logging roads. And you'll also find you can pick your way along single track quite nicely, through 6,000 elevation changes with nary a bobble.

That isn't quite what I visualize as "casual trail riding", although it isn't "go like your hair is on fire" either. So YZEtc and I disagree on that part, although I suspect the "YZ" part of his name might suggest his approach to how one rides off the slab...

If you do want an aggressive dirt bike that is also capable for commuting a few miles on the slab to work or to the nearest trail, then the WRR is probably a poor choice for you. Otherwise, you'll probably love it.

I'll digress for a moment and say it continues to puzzle me that so many people have a problem with the idea of a true dual sport - as opposed to a "just barely legal" offroad racing bike. It just occurred to me that perhaps this is where many of us came from. I started riding back in the late 60's, and our bikes were the original Yamaha dual sports - the enduros. We rode them to high school, then after school rode them out to the track and ran around on the track until we were nearly out of gas. When the weekend rolled around, we tied our junk on the back, the rest went in a pack, and we rode off into the mountains to some river or lake for a few days of fishing and sitting around the campfire. The only concession to "dirt" was replacing the metal fenders with those high tech plastic after market ones. If you could save some money for your income usually relegated to the local bootlegger to get you a bottle of rye, you might even have splurged and bought an aftermarket pipe.

Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? 8532

Different bike, decades later... same concept.
Back to top Go down
glock19

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 pm

I think I will really enjoy this bike! My friend should be getting his first so Im gunna take his for a ride and see for sure Very happy It excites me to see videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fRFE5U3kM
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi, welcome!

I'm 5'7" and 140, and the bike feels great!! It flies with a lighter rider at the controls! bannana bannana bannana

I say go for it! ! ! beavis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 9:15 am

[quote="Jäger"]
glock19 wrote:
I'll digress for a moment and say it continues to puzzle me that so many people have a problem with the idea of a true dual sport - as opposed to a "just barely legal" offroad racing bike.
There is nothing wrong with a dual sport, but personally I'm just a little miffed at why the term should imply a watered down bike. I understand that dualsport riders want reliability which this bike offers in spades with the bullet proof engine. But why can't we also have top notch suspension? Brembo brakes? A light weight chassis, and the same kind of engineering that goes into a YZ or KTM? Throw this engine into the latest KTM chassis like the XC250, and I would pay $10k for it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:08 am

Lol, yeah Bubba's got some pretty nasty riding skills, that guy. If he ever comes to Canada, I'd love to ride with him.

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm

twowheeled wrote:
There is nothing wrong with a dual sport, but personally I'm just a little miffed at why the term should imply a watered down bike. I understand that dualsport riders want reliability which this bike offers in spades with the bullet proof engine. But why can't we also have top notch suspension? Brembo brakes? A light weight chassis, and the same kind of engineering that goes into a YZ or KTM? Throw this engine into the latest KTM chassis like the XC250, and I would pay $10k for it.
You want to compare a WR250R to a KTM two stroke racing bike chassis??? Or a YZ?

When people routinely ride this bikes on adventure type trips thousands of miles long off the slab - like Big Dog's trip from Mexico to Canada and back for example - and one of the most noticeable events of the ride is the absolute lack of breakdowns, maintenance required, etc, it is hardly a "watered down bike". Sounds to me like they got it right.

Why can't you have all those other things you'd happily pay $10k for?

Because so few other people agree with you that the bike's sales would plummet and it would disappear from their lineup in short order. Like it just has in the UK, for example, even as is. I got my '08 new in crate for $4k and change out the door; lots of other people here got their WRR for somewhere between $4.5k and $5.5k. You're talking about happily paying about double for an improved WRR than we paid for our existing bikes. I don't think too many of us are willing to fork over the extra $5k for the new and improved WRR with the Brembos, unobtainium frame, etc.

Think on this for a moment: why doesn't Yamaha simply make a few changes to the WR250F and WR450F to make them street legal and address those who are unhappy with all the shortcomings they see in the WR250R?

Correct me if anyone sees it differently, but their research shows them there simply aren't enough people unhappy with the WRR's brakes, chassis, and suspension who would opt for a street legal "F" model who would shell out for one of those instead in numbers which would allow them to make a profit. The 250F, as is, has an MSRP $250 higher than the 250R, but it is 40 lbs lighter. So figure out what it will add to the weight and cost to put all the road legal stuff on. And fuel injection - which is another thing lots of people including myself really value in the WRR. What would it weigh now, what would it cost, and is there a market that will allow for a profit? Or will it suck just enough buyers from the WRR to make sales of two different models low enough to make neither profitable?

You're the first person I've heard complaining that it needs something like Brembo brakes instead of what it has on this forum. Check it out. So what are the chances Yamaha can find enough people interested in this bike but willing to pay extra for Brembos?

Ditto for the suspension - the majority of riders here are tearing all over the place on the stock suspension. Doing some major, multi day and week offroad - and onroad - trips. Quite happily, I might add. Horrors! Skierd here has just embarked on yet another cross continental ride on his WRR, most of it on the slab this time. But more than a few side trips off the slab I'm sure. Make a KTM XC250 road legal, do a similar ride, and then come back and tell us how that went for ya. The reality is that an XC250 is not designed for true dual sport use and its utterly unsuitable for that.

So what's the chances this market group is willing to fork over an extra thousand to get an uber race capable suspension - especially when they have no plans to race the bike? Not me. Some may decide to fork over for Go Race or somebody like that DOWN THE ROAD, but it is a good decision on Yamaha's part to recognize that it is a small minority who will pay for an XC250 type suspension up front, and a much larger group that will be turned off by price point and turn instead to something like Kawasaki's offering.

Ditto for the KTM chassis. You might want to pay the extra for it. I don't. The current chassis is fine for me, because I don't throw the bike around on a multi day ride. And as nobody seems to be breaking these chassis out in the middle of nowhere, I like that too. And reading the ongoing monster thread over on ADV about this bike, it's hard not to notice that more than a few riders over there apparently have no problem running with the KTM crowd. So really, the WRR isn't as "watered down" a bike as some people would make it. If it were, those posts over on ADV would be very different.

It is easy to extoll the virtues of a KTM in comparison to this bike, particularly an offroad racing bike like the example you used. While doing it, most making the comparison conveniently forget to mention the maintenance and all the other issues the KTM crowd put up with to have lighter weight, more power, better suspension. Plus the higher purchase price, of course. That does not make the KTM a lesser bike. It simply means different riders have different values. Some don't want to do KTM-type maintenance and repairs; others are more than happy to do that in exchange for the increased performance. Some are happy to pay the purchase price of a KTM for that performance, while others won't even pay the purchase price to get WRR performance and turn instead to the significantly less expensive Kawasaki. Yamaha was looking for a niche for this bike and they found it.

Riders choose their ride according to the kind of riding they do, the features that are important to them, how much they're willing to wrench, and how much they're willing to pay. If I wanted cutting edge suspension, power, handling, and weight in a 250cc class dual sport focused on off road use, I wouldn't even give Yamaha a look - I'd head straight for the KTM and Husky dealers while being prepared to pay accordingly for those virtues. Unfortunately for others, some people don't - and then they run into problems when they try to make a bike something it is not advertised as or designed for.

The WRR is a superb, true, dual sport bike, a direct descendant of the intent and vision of the original enduros manufacturers used to make decades ago. It is not and never was intended as a just barely street legal thoroughbred racing dirt bike. Those who don't confuse what it was designed and intended for will enjoy this bike to the max.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 pm

A dual sport bike is built to be able to ride in every conditions with a minimum of luggages.

It doesn't have a downgraded suspension, it has a suspension for the job it's benn built to fullfill. The frame is a light one and also has a subframe to support the luggages. It has an alternator that can support electrical appliances needed for long travels.

The engine can accept more oil so the maintenance schedule is streched. It is tuned so that you can drive it at 70mph all day long without hurting the inner parts of the engine.

Try driving 500 miles a day on a KTM530 or WR450F and you will feel all the answers you're asking for.
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

where in CT are you located?

I had a wr250r, un-corked and re geared. It was a great bike, it was fun as hell on the road and fun and easy to ride in the woods.

But im a bigger guy +200lbs and like to ride sand pits and the occasional track, and i needed a different animal for that stuff. If i had the money i would have kept the wr for sure and got a mx bike to complement it.

With your weight i would say you will love this bike (properly set-up) for street, trails and some small jumps thumb
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 pm

glock19 wrote:
I think I will really enjoy this bike! My friend should be getting his first so Im gunna take his for a ride and see for sure Very happy It excites me to see videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fRFE5U3kM
If you look at his other videos, you'll see that's not exactly a stock configuration WRR.

He's put an "F" muffler on the bike; says it was a used one and he just did some cutting and bending to fit it because he got it cheaper than buying a new FMF or whatever. So he has some metalworking skills, or has a friend who has, or is willing to pay somebody who has. Most who want to get rid of the stock exhaust will probably just buy the aftermarket of their choice. Too noisy by far for me off a race course.

He's taken the flapper valve, AIS, and all the rest of that off. Common mod done by those here who mod their bikes as well.

And the biggest thing he's done to achieve the performance you're watching, in my opinion, is he's gone from 13/43 sprockies to 12/47. That's like going up seven teeth on the rear sprocket, and changes the dirt performance considerably, even without the pipe and the other mods. That's a cheap and easy way to modify the characteristics of the bike, although it definitely slides it on the "dual sport" scale to being strongly weighted towards the dirt and much less so for rideability on the slab for any distance/length of time.

Finally, I have no idea where he's riding in Japan, but if that were on the dirt roads around here, it would just be a matter of time before one of SheWolf's friends would collect you in the front grill of their Kenworth at a corner. If you ride around here and have any sense of self preservation, you approach every corner with the mindset you may meet a logging truck or crummy coming the other way and taking up most of the road, even though they're supposed to share. Or even some ditzy guys on their Rhinos with the family aboard, for that matter. Being on the throttle and sideways going into corners is fun, but not conducive to longevity on roads open to all and two way traffic. Which is why a true dual sport works for my riding and I'm not much interested in race capability outside of a closed course.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm not going to add anything to this ongoing discussion that has followed the WRR's since they've been for sale. What I want to know, how many words a minute do you type Jager? Impressive.

Oh, I like my WRR. I only needed to add a few things to make it better....new seat, suspension, 2 sets of wheels, new bars, bar risers, tail light, uncorked, exhaust, rack, etc.

hide
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 pm

All I will add to the original post is this;

I had a CR250 for dirt, I had (still have) a Honda Shadow for street. I got the WR for a little bit of both and everything in between. After having the WR for 1 month, I SOLD my CR and the only time I take my shadow out is when I'm riding 2 up with my girlfriend on the back. The WR is fun as hell! I mostly like to ride it in the dirt, but the ride TO the dirt is fun as hell too! And each mod just adds to the fun!
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 1:51 am

trav72 wrote:
What I want to know, how many words a minute do you type Jager? Impressive.
About 130 WPM... when typing as I think/compose.

Makes typing letters and posts much easier, actually, as you can put it down as fast as you think it, like you would if you were speaking, instead of having a thought, working at getting it typed out, and then picking up your train of thought again. Most adults comfortably vocalize and hear at around 150 wpm, so that's pretty close.

Transposing text from notes, another document, etc... only about 80 WPM. Lots of online typing speed tests if you're curious.

Maybe I need to learn how to use a Dvorak keyboard!!!

Here's another thought for you:

Somewhere, on a KTM forum, there are KTM riders bitching and asking why KTM can't make a bike that will go 26,000 miles between valve checks, 6,000 miles between oil changes, with fuel injection, with the same reliability as a WR250R and costing no more than a WR250R.

This has been going on from day one since they went on sale, as you mentioned. I dropped by the local dealer today, curious about a couple of things. He claims he can't even find a GYTR pipe in Yamaha Canada's site, so if I did want to get one I'd have to go back to Montana. And he says lots of guys come in and show interest in the WR's they have on the floor, and then turn around and walk out going, "Ahhhh.... it's only a 250".

The dealer claims he figures he could sell boat loads of them if Yamaha made the WRs into 450s. He might be right, but I'd still choose the 250 over the 450 if all it offered was more power. I have all the power I need for the riding I do right now. If I want to get back into "give 'er" riding, I won't mess around with a dual sport, I'll go find myself a motocross bike to have my fun on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:25 am

[quote="Jäger"]
twowheeled wrote:
It is easy to extoll the virtues of a KTM in comparison to this bike, particularly an offroad racing bike like the example you used. While doing it, most making the comparison conveniently forget to mention the maintenance and all the other issues the KTM crowd put up with to have lighter weight, more power, better suspension. Plus the higher purchase price, of course. That does not make the KTM a lesser bike. It simply means different riders have different values. Some don't want to do KTM-type maintenance and repairs; others are more than happy to do that in exchange for the increased performance. Some are happy to pay the purchase price of a KTM for that performance, while others won't even pay the purchase price to get WRR performance and turn instead to the significantly less expensive Kawasaki. Yamaha was looking for a niche for this bike and they found it.

Riders choose their ride according to the kind of riding they do, the features that are important to them, how much they're willing to wrench, and how much they're willing to pay. If I wanted cutting edge suspension, power, handling, and weight in a 250cc class dual sport focused on off road use, I wouldn't even give Yamaha a look - I'd head straight for the KTM and Husky dealers while being prepared to pay accordingly for those virtues. Unfortunately for others, some people don't - and then they run into problems when they try to make a bike something it is not advertised as or designed for.

The WRR is a superb, true, dual sport bike, a direct descendant of the intent and vision of the original enduros manufacturers used to make decades ago. It is not and never was intended as a just barely street legal thoroughbred racing dirt bike. Those who don't confuse what it was designed and intended for will enjoy this bike to the max.

What is the biggest maintenance item on KTM's and true dirt bikes? Valve checks, adjustments, top ends, cleaning the airfilter, changing the oil every few hours. Notice what those all have in common? Yes it's directly related to the output of the high strung race engine. These guys are NOT doing frequent maintenance for the following things... TIG welding cracked frames, rebuilding their shocks, changing fork oil every 10 hours. That is what I mean by sticking the WR250R engine in the KTM frame. Why can't we have that level of engineering? It would NOT affect reliability.

As for the brakes, yes the stock braking system is pretty horrible. On paper it looks nice, in reality they used a cheap master. I agree brembos would raise the price point, exactly why yamaha has a license to produce unbranded brembo's for cheap. Take a look at the master cylinder on the R1's for example, notice the brembo logo?

The other part you are getting at is R&D costs, KTM can afford to spend so much perfecting their suspension and frames because they sell a TON of MX bikes. Yamaha will not sell a ton of WRR/WRX's so they can't recoup huge R&D costs. So why design a bike ground up? Why not simply stuff this engine into last years YZ frame, share tooling and production lines, give it a steel subframe, and call it a day? How would that resulting bike be less capable or reliable than our 300lb pigs? Last time I checked, YZ frames were not snapping like twigs even in supercross. Why we need this massive heavy aluminum frame is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:49 am

My thoughts are; if you ride mostly dirt, buy something else with an aluminum frame and higher end suspension. If you ride mostly street, the WRR is a great bike and that's where is shines .... it's way better than any dual sport should be on the street. I bought mine as a glorified scooter and it's cool that it doesn't look dorky like a scooter. It has much of the utility of a scooter, and while not getting 100+ mpg, the trade off is it will easily keep up with expressway traffic. On a whim it can explore dirt roads or trails ....just try that with a scooter! ... but I wouldn't use it as an all out dirt bike.

I have an old 1998 CR250 to ride in the dirt and there is no comparison to the WR in power, weight, braking and handling. The CR fit like a glove in woods riding (although I wish it had the WR gearbox) That's why I say buy a real dirt bike if dirt riding is your primary objective.

There are some killer deals out there, why not find one for a price where you can try it out and resell it easily if it's not your thing? These bikes have so many good qualities to them, it's reallly hard not to like em!
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 am

zone47 wrote:

I have an old 1998 CR250 to ride in the dirt and there is no comparison to the WR in power, weight, braking and handling. The CR fit like a glove in woods riding (although I wish it had the WR gearbox) That's why I say buy a real dirt bike if dirt riding is your primary objective.
!

I just sold my 98 CR250. Although you are right, no comparison in power and suspension, it got a little tricky and punchy in the woods. It was just always begging to be opened up and although I tried changing the gearing, it just wasn't as smooth and nimble in the woods as my WRR. I do miss it when I finally get to some jumps or whoops but those aren't too easy to find around here (MA) these days.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:58 pm

twowheeled wrote:
What is the biggest maintenance item on KTM's and true dirt bikes? Valve checks, adjustments, top ends, cleaning the airfilter, changing the oil every few hours. Notice what those all have in common? Yes it's directly related to the output of the high strung race engine.
Which KTM are you referring to that the manufacturer advises valve checks every 26,000 miles? Oil changes every 6,000 miles?

I appreciate you don't mind that stuff. I don't WANT to do valve checks and adjustments and top ends on a KTM schedule. I don't want oil changes that take an hour, involve taking off gas tanks, require proper refilling techniques to avoid the danger of blowing out an oil filter at startup, etc. Not only do I not want that kind of annoyance, I don't want to live with that schedule in the middle of a multi-week ride out in the boonies. There's a reason it's easy to find all kinds of threads on the 'Net alternately explaining and cursing KTM oil changes - find me just one thread where people are bitching about WR oil changes. I want to ride, not to wrench. So do a lot of other people. Those who don't mind that stuff, who want that "high strung race engine", normally buy KTMs or Huskies in the first place.

Quote :
As for the brakes, yes the stock braking system is pretty horrible.
Take a look here in the brakes forum, on TT in the Yamaha Dual Sport forum, and over at ADV in the monster WR thread. Notice how, with tens of thousands of posts covering all aspects of the bike, you are just about the only person bitching about the brakes?

I have no doubt they really are horrible for you and the kind of riding you do. Otherwise, why would you be bitching about them? But given as the overwhelming majority of WR owners, including those modding the hell out of their bikes, aren't extending their modding or even their bitching to the brakes, it seems Yamaha did pretty well on the brakes for this bike and the overwhelming majority of users. I know I like the brakes, and they suit me just fine.

Quote :
That is what I mean by sticking the WR250R engine in the KTM frame. Why can't we have that level of engineering? It would NOT affect reliability... How would that resulting bike be less capable or reliable than our 300lb pigs? Last time I checked, YZ frames were not snapping like twigs even in supercross.
I feel sorry for you. Really, I do. You own a bike you consider to be a 300 lb pig, and you don't like its weight, suspension, handling, brakes...

It sucks owning a bike you don't like. The problem here is you bought a bike not designed or intended for what you expect from a bike. I'm not sure why you did that, but it's beside the point. Yamaha has failed to meet your demands both in the manufacturing and R&D area. Rather than wasting the upcoming riding season and continuing to be dissatisfied, I strongly advise you to sell it immediately and purchase something more in line with what you expect, probably something along the lines of a KTM, Husky, or Husaberg. When you said earlier you'd happily pay somewhere around $10k for a dual sport which met your performance expectations, I think you'll find lots of suitable bikesthat fall under that price ceiling. Bikes seem to sell quickly on our sales forums, so you might start there getting rid of your 300 lb pig so you can make your next purpose. Think of it as our motorcycle version of an animal shelter where unwanted pets can find a home with somebody who will enjoy and love them for what they are.

Give that WR a new home, and make you both happier for it! That's my suggestion.

And rather than continuing to be frustrated with Yamaha for failing to see the logic in your R&D and marketing beliefs, you might try something different. Instead of asking Yamaha why they don't simply stuff the WR engine in a KTM or YZ racing frame and make a killing, ask KTM why they don't simply change one of their engines in an existing bike so it has the same maintenance schedule and reliability of the Yamaha engine?

At the same price as a WR, of course.

Let us know how that goes for ya. Because if you can convince KTM, Husky, or somebody else to make a bike having the low maintenance and reliability of the WR within a racing frame and suspension, at the same price as a WR, I will look really hard at buying one.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 6:20 pm

zone47 wrote:
On a whim it can explore dirt roads or trails ....just try that with a scooter! ... but I wouldn't use it as an all out dirt bike.
????

Define "all out dirt bike"?

If you ride the bike... say... from Mexico to Canada and then back again to Mexico, mostly on dirt trails and roads, without nary a problem, does that make it a real dirt bike? Mark Sampson does that regularly on his lightly modded WR.

If you ride it all over the Colorado passes like HighFive has on multiday trips, does that make it a real dirt bike?

How about HighFive, Krabill, Crawdaddy, etc, being competitive while racing it in enduro style races? Does that make it a real dirt bike?

I think much of the problem with dealers marketing the bike and with those dissatisfied with the bike is perception about what the bike is thought to be, versus what it actually is and what it is supposed to be.

It isn't designed and intended to be a frame, engine, and suspension focused on racing in the dirt. Or racing on the slab for that matter. But as more than a few members here and on other forums have shown, a rider on a WR isn't exactly lost somewhere in the far distance where the dust has already settled either. It's a dual sport package that doesn't give all that much up in the dirt, while still being superbly rideable on the street, comfortable, economical, with very little wrenching required.

On the one hand, I hear my dealer buddy saying it is hard to sell because prospective buyers come in and say "It's only a 250" and equate it with a scooter or a Honda Trail 90 before heading out the door to look for something with a bigger engine. One of them rides with us now in the bigger bike he bought, and we usually wind up waiting for him on his superior-displacement bike. And we aren't even racing, just ambling around in the mountains taking in the views. The reality is he would not only have been much better off on a WR, but probably better off on a Super Sherpa, KTX, anything smaller.

The reality is it rides much "bigger" than a 250, and that's something you hear far, far more times than you ever hear somebody moaning about the inadequacies of the bike.

On the other side of the coin, there's the guys who also see it as not a real dirt bike because it doesn't have the suspension, chassis, and weight of a YZ or KTM. They're not happy either.

In the middle is the real WR. A bike you can commute to work with every day. Then change into your dirt gear and go keep up with your buddies on their "real" dirt bikes most of the afternoon in most riding scenarios. And then, on holidays, throw your bags on the bike and take off for a three week trip on the dirt trails and roads that make up the Continental Divide Trail.

All on the same bike. You might want to change the oil once or twice a year.

That's a real dirt bike and real dirt riding in my books. And Yamaha built me exactly what I was looking for. If they ever offer me the bike with the suspension and lighter weight of a KTM, with everything else the same, with reliability and maintenance schedule and price unchanged - for about the same price - then I'll take it. In the meantime, I'm happy with it just as is and I consider its shortcomings more than fair when I look at all the advantages and positives it brings to the table.
Back to top Go down
glock19

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Its funny my friend got an email from a local dealer saying they had a left over 2009 for 5600 out the door. Hearing that I went down there to check it out and when I get there all I see was a wr250f, amongst the other motocross bikes. Not seeing the 250r I asked the the guy at the counter and he goes "yeah its that bike over there you were just looking at" ! I actually had to explain to these people what a wr250r was.

Granted the 250f was pretty tempting for 5600 out the door.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 9:40 am

Jäger wrote:
twowheeled wrote:
What is the biggest maintenance item on KTM's and true dirt bikes? Valve checks, adjustments, top ends, cleaning the airfilter, changing the oil every few hours. Notice what those all have in common? Yes it's directly related to the output of the high strung race engine.
Which KTM are you referring to that the manufacturer advises valve checks every 26,000 miles? Oil changes every 6,000 miles?

I appreciate you don't mind that stuff. I don't WANT to do valve checks and adjustments and top ends on a KTM schedule. I don't want oil changes that take an hour, involve taking off gas tanks, require proper refilling techniques to avoid the danger of blowing out an oil filter at startup, etc. Not only do I not want that kind of annoyance, I don't want to live with that schedule in the middle of a multi-week ride out in the boonies. There's a reason it's easy to find all kinds of threads on the 'Net alternately explaining and cursing KTM oil changes - find me just one thread where people are bitching about WR oil changes. I want to ride, not to wrench. So do a lot of other people. Those who don't mind that stuff, who want that "high strung race engine", normally buy KTMs or Huskies in the first place.

No, you are still not hearing what I am saying. I do mind that stuff. I hate checking valves. I hate doing top ends. I love 26,000 mile intervals. Go back and re-read my post. The only maintenance difference from a KTM to a WRR is because of the engine. You don't just label a bike as a MX racer and say "high maintenance" well what is the maintenance? Engine work. Oil changes.

Thus there is no reason why they cannot shoehorn the WRR engine into an old YZ chassis and have a lighter bike with amazing suspension AND long maintenance intervals.

All I care about is weight and suspension. If the WRR had top notch suspension and chassis I wouldn't care if it had 12 hp. The bike you are suggesting I buy does not exist. None of the bikes you mentioned.. husky, ktm, etc fall into the criteria of low power low maintenance engine with top of the line chassis, suspension, and brakes. That is my idea of a good dual sport. The market for a premium small displacement dualsport does not exist. The WRR is mid range at best, but only because its brakes and suspension are being compared to archaic designs. As dual sport riders somehow we have been accustomed to getting 2nd best, decade old designs, no improvements or benefit of "trickle down" technology. Maybe that's why they are so unpopular.

If Yamaha shoehorned the wrr engine into a YZ chassis, and charged an additional $1000 msrp would you buy it? I sure as hell would. There are some things we can't fix in the aftermarket since we don't have the same kind of resources as a manufacturer. Suspension design is a biggie.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 am

Jäger wrote:
zone47 wrote:
On a whim it can explore dirt roads or trails ....just try that with a scooter! ... but I wouldn't use it as an all out dirt bike.
????

Define "all out dirt bike"?

All out dirt bike: lurk

Dirt only. A bike that is raced and ridden on hare scrambles and motocross type courses. They typically have more power, better suspension, lighter weight and better brakes. I love the WRR, but the weight, suspension and tires are the weak points for any serious dirt riding. Jack of all trades, master of none is what we're talking about with the WRR.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?   Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Debating on picking up a 2011 WR250 ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next