Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rifle case mount?

Go down 
+4
soggytire
BBRadar
Akasy
Jäger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 2:04 am

If anyone figures out how to mount a Kolpin rifle case on a WRR, show us what you come up with.

I have looked at Yamaha's little mount thing, but those Kolpin cases are so big that I can't figure out how to mount it up and be able to get easily on or off the bike.

I briefly considered a soft case, but the thoughts of my classic 60's version 358 Norma Magnum getting beaten on by the bike even in a simple tipover gave me the cold sweats.

It would help if somebody made much smaller and sleeker protective rifle scabbards for folks on motorcycles.

My mind tells me the solution will attach to the front fork legs somehow or other, but I am still drawing a blank.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Gun Case Discussion   Rifle case mount? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 am

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154900

Jäger wrote:
If anyone figures out how to mount a Kolpin rifle case on a WRR, show us what you come up with.

I have looked at Yamaha's little mount thing, but those Kolpin cases are so big that I can't figure out how to mount it up and be able to get easily on or off the bike.

I briefly considered a soft case, but the thoughts of my classic 60's version 358 Norma Magnum getting beaten on by the bike even in a simple tipover gave me the cold sweats.

It would help if somebody made much smaller and sleeker protective rifle scabbards for folks on motorcycles.

My mind tells me the solution will attach to the front fork legs somehow or other, but I am still drawing a blank.
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:41 am

Hi,
New to these forums but thought this was as good a time as any to post.
This might give you some ideas:
Rifle case mount? Bike
home made mount for my GS500. The only solid part is the metal "holster" around the the middle of the case which bolts to where the rear grab rail usually lives.
The nose/tip of the case is just attached to the rear foot peg with a bungy cord.
Because the case tapers in, you can easily get a solid hold of it with the mount and lock it in place with some cable or similar.
This has been sturdy for me (on the road).
Back to top Go down
soggytire

soggytire

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:32 am

Oh come on just bite the bullet and put some kolpin racks on the bars. beavis
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:55 am

BBRadar wrote:
home made mount for my GS500. The only solid part is the metal "holster" around the the middle of the case which bolts to where the rear grab rail usually lives.
Yeah, I have a Kolpin case. Two in fact, including one of the very early ones.

For a WR, they're too long. I have walked around my bike numerous times, positioning the scabbard this way and that, trying to figure how I would secure that case to the bike. Yamaha even makes a metal bracket for mounting a Kol-pin case - but whatever it gets used on, it's not a WR. The problem is, that Klopin case is made to be big enough to fit any rifle - which makes it bigger than it needs to be.

I have considered a leather horse scabbard... but bikes fall over. Last thing I need is one of my classic Husqvarna's maimed by my Yamaha.

It looks like my fallback position will be my rifle in a rifle case, slung across my bake. Not very happy about that.
Back to top Go down
movish

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm

I cant say the exact same one but ya you can get very good quality here....

south-pak.com
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 3:18 am

Good for shipping a rifle to the middle of Africa. Not so hot for carrying a rifle on a horse or bike.
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 am

No rifle mount needed for me.

I bought another Taurus Casull 454, shorter barrell-2 inch, so it fits snugly in my tank bag.

Just in case we encounter an aggressive bear, bob cat, mountain lion, etc.

Obviously not for hunting-just emergency self defense.
Back to top Go down
Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 3:35 am

I carried my 17HMR beaver hunting yesterday. Not sure what you have for luggage, but my bike came with Dirt Bagz, so I just put the rifle butt down in the bag and bungied the barrel to the side of the rear rack. It was solid as a rock. Could do that with a Kolpin Case, just take the back off so everything is tight.
Back to top Go down
Tightline

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 pm

I've thought about this a fair bit as well. I like to hunt and using my bike for scouting or faster transportation to hunting grounds are attractive options.

The case thing looks difficult even with a good rack.

Here's a different option

Take a look at the Eberlestock X2 backpack. Scroll down to the image with the scoped rifle scabbard attached.

http://eberlestock.com/X2%20Pack.htm

I think for riding you'd want the scabbard attached on the left side of the pack to make cycle dismounts less of a challenge.

I have the pack and love it. It is exceptionally well built. I've packed out elk quarters approaching 100 lbs with this pack.

Good luck! If you find a better solution, I'm all ears.

Scott

Back to top Go down
Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 am

Tightline wrote:
Here's a different option

Take a look at the Eberlestock X2 backpack. Scroll down to the image with the scoped rifle scabbard attached.

http://eberlestock.com/X2%20Pack.htm

I think for riding you'd want the scabbard attached on the left side of the pack to make cycle dismounts less of a challenge.

I have the pack and love it. It is exceptionally well built. I've packed out elk quarters approaching 100 lbs with this pack.

Good luck! If you find a better solution, I'm all ears.

Scott

Looks like a great (though pricy) pack. Have you ridden off road with yours (and a 9 lb rifle?)
Back to top Go down
Tightline

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 am

I've ridden offroad with the pack but haven't pulled the trigger on buying the scabbard yet, so I can't comment on riding with a rifle.

I plan on picking up the scabbard soon. I'll keep you posted.

FYI...

Sandsarchery.com runs discounts of 10-15% on these packs frequently, that's where I bought mine.

Back to top Go down
Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 2:16 am

Tightline wrote:
I'll keep you posted.

Sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rifle case mount? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rifle case mount?   Rifle case mount? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rifle case mount?
Page 1 of 1