Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How the heck can you shift with MX boots?

Go down 
+8
mordicai
liftdt4r
malibu_dan
combo
motokid
velox
MotoKirby
WRXR
12 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXR

WRXR

How the heck can you shift with MX boots? Empty
PostSubject: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Tried my new Fox Comp 5 boots today. How the heck do you shift properly with MX boots? GAHHHH They are so stiff I have to bend my whole leg in a weird way to get under the gear lever, and then I can't feel it on top of my toe so I have to look down which is not the best idea especially in rough terrain. dunno
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Boots break in with a little time. Wear them around the house for a day or two. Walk the dog around the block. Also make sure you readjust your shifter, that can make a difference as well.
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 6:03 am

When I started wearing MX boots I had that same problem.

Eventually as you ride more and more you begin to get some feeling.
Of course you will never get as much feeling compared to racing boots.
However as you ride more you do gain some feeling eventually.

Last edited by velox on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 6:32 am

I had to adjust my shift lever to allow the boot to get under it without having to work extra hard.

I found a nice compromise for the different footwear I regularly use.

The shifter placement that came from yamaha was nowhere near friendly for wearing a much bulkier MX boot.

I also have the Fox Comp 5 boot.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 6:34 am

Pivot pegs would help, they are a little pricey though
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:13 am

I was taught to shift with the lip of the sole of MX boots--basically shifting with the side of the boot.
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 am

I have Alpinestars Tech 6s and it took a while to break them in but I can shift just fine with them now.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:34 am

combo wrote:
Pivot pegs would help, they are a little pricey though

+1 on Pivotpegs. They have made it much easier for me to shift with boots.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am

Not sure if the pivotpegz will solve my problem. Is there a way to make the gear lever sit a bit higher?

Shifting with the lip of the sole won't work as my boots don't have a lip.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am

motokid wrote:
I had to adjust my shift lever to allow the boot to get under it without having to work extra hard.

How did you to that?
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: shift lever   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:19 am

WRXR wrote:
motokid wrote:

How did you to that?

Remove the bolt holding the shift lever to the shaft. The bolt and lever is splined. Slide the lever back on in a higher position. Reinsert the bolt and tighten. I also bought a Driven Shift Lever, which allowed me a better position then the stock one.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 pm

mordicai wrote:
WRXR wrote:
motokid wrote:

How did you to that?

Remove the bolt holding the shift lever to the shaft. The bolt and lever is splined. Slide the lever back on in a higher position. Reinsert the bolt and tighten. I also bought a Driven Shift Lever, which allowed me a better position then the stock one.

notice the remove bolt part, don't just loosen it a little. it makes a big difference, took me about a week to get used to the MX boots when I bought them. also walked the dog in them to help break them in. I love them now though.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 3:09 pm

+1 on the Driven shift lever.
It's got a slightly different bend than stock and will let the lever get a little further away from the stator cover which will let you raise the shift lever up more.
I only wear MX boots when I ride. The Driven shift lever was one of the first mods I made to the bike.

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Great tip I think I will do the Driven shift lever.

One question the Wheelingcyclesupply websites shifter looks different than the Driven's.
Which picture is the correct one? (edit - Wheeling cycle supply has the correct pic. Driven's is a generic pic)

http://www.drivenracing.com/content.cfm/go/storeproduct/id/869/name/08-10wr250xshifter
How the heck can you shift with MX boots? Shift-5

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/1/22/index.shtml
How the heck can you shift with MX boots? 8DGRzH8AAAEAABeHnAwAAAAF-40303

Last edited by velox on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 4:52 pm

I've got the pivotpegs and they are the bomb! I also moved the shifter up a bit on the splines and my Fox MX boots work wonderfully without having to replace the shifter. thumb

combo

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Try adjusting the stock lever first, I only needed to put mine up a notch and it was perfect , another technique that helps is pointing your toes outward a little and using the inside of your toe to shift, going up a gear to down and back is easier with this method
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 5:32 pm

liftdt4r wrote:
I have Alpinestars Tech 6s and it took a while to break them in but I can shift just fine with them now.

i know this is off topic, sorta, but what about the brake, do you find the lever to be too high when wearing mx boots? with less movement in the ankle you have to lift your toe up to hit the brake lever and its hard to let down only half way or whatever to brake a little .. seems like if the break lever was lower, it would be easy just to tap down a little for break instead of lifting up your toe on to the lever and make sure not to let down all the way .. not sure if it makes sense .. just thought i would ask

edit - forgot to mention, being able to manage breaking both front and rear is pretty important for me, and accidently applying too much on the rear can turn ugly, and what i described above is a big issue for me when wearing mx boots .. i have not had time yet to lower the break lever and see if it helps .. hopefully soon, but just thought i would mention it
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Buy a shorter clevis pin for the rear brake or grind down the nut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How the heck can you shift with MX boots?   How the heck can you shift with MX boots? Empty

Back to top Go down

How the heck can you shift with MX boots?
Page 1 of 1