Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)

Go down 
+2
craigq
sr1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sr1

Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) Empty
PostSubject: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:37 am

I am "deployed" (actually a civilian but working for the Army) and have to put my bike together by reading, ordering, and then hoping all the parts are right when I'm home on leave.

Well, I have a WR250X, and wanted a 21" front wheel setup, so I bought a guy's R wheel, disk, caliper, master cylinder (all the brake stuff), and bearings.

Now I read this today:

YamX1KRR wrote:

Not sure what you get with the wheeling cycle wheels, but you'd want to make sure you get the caliper bracket for the front. The front rotor is bigger on the X, and you wouldn't want to run that off road. Pretty sure there is an additional bracket for the R, and Yamaha doesn't sell it without having to buy the new caliper.

To YAMx1KRR's credit he also said "I'm not sure on any of this" but if you were in my position you'd be pretty bound up.

So, my gentle WR owners, PLEASE help me out with the correct info. Preferably someone who has done this before. Do I need this bracket, or not, and if so, where do I get one?

I understand people who want to try to help, I do it too, but please, if you don't have firsthand knowledge on this one, please don't offer your guesses. My leaves get screwed when I don't have the right parts and can't take the bike out. Thank you.

Last edited by sr1 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 am

You'll be fine. The WRR and WRX calipers have "integrated" brackets, they are part of the caliper. As long as you are using the appropriate front brake rotor/disc with the appropriate caliper no other parts are required "down there" (WRR disc with WRR caliper, WRX disc with WRX caliper).
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 8:07 am

Oops, I edited my first post, yes, I also got the R disk with the wheel.

cry Are you sure? cry Oh this sucks to be so far away from the bike and have to guess. Not trying to beat up Yamx1KRR at all, but questions like this really worry me when I know I only get x number of days to put the bike together and get my riding in. woohoo
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 am

I have first-hand knowledge of swapping WRR to WRX, it's not that hard to figure out the reverse.

If you want to completely swap between WRR wheels and WRX using quite possibly the maximum of amount OEM parts (not the cheapest route, someone will chime in that they reused this and that, that you don't need this and that, obtained a bolt-on EBC front rotor etc etc) you need :

WRR to WRX - Parts Required for a complete swap
WRX front brake caliper
WRX front master cylinder
WRX front brake line (so you don't have to bleed every swap)
Complete WRX front wheel assembly (spare spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRX front brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
Complete WRX rear wheel assembly (spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRX rear sprocket with mounting nuts 'n bolts
WRX rear brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
WRX Front fork guards (possible tire rubbing for WRX tire and WRR guards, also the WRX fork guard routes the brake line nicely)
Can re-use the WRR rear brake disc/rotor or better yet have a rear brake disc/rotor attached to the rear wheel

WRX to WRR - Parts Required for a complete swap
WRR front brake caliper
WRR front master cylinder
WRR front brake line (so you don't have to bleed every swap)
Complete WRR front wheel assembly (spare spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRR front brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
Complete WRR rear wheel assembly (spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRR rear sprocket with mounting nuts 'n bolts
WRR rear brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
WRR Front fork guards (WRX fork guards might be too short, WRR guard routes the brake line nicely)
Can re-use the WRX rear brake disc/rotor or better yet have a rear brake disc/rotor attached to the rear wheel
Back to top Go down
russf7

russf7

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 4:33 pm

I looked into this, there is a company that set one up but will not tell the trick but I am pretty sure I figured it out. I think they take hubs for the X with all the spacer fixings, brake parts.... blah blah. They put new rims and spokes, 21 front, 18 rear with proper spokes, 21 and 18 respectively and spoke them together. they sell the set for like 1200 and you still need tires. If you still need I will hunt down the company name for you.

I found the acticle on "ThumperTalk" which I highly recommend you join. I am in the same boat with the X and will try it myself, but not today. Good luck!

R
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:30 am

craigq wrote:
I have first-hand knowledge of swapping WRR to WRX, it's not that hard to figure out the reverse.

If you want to completely swap between WRR wheels and WRX using quite possibly the maximum of amount OEM parts (not the cheapest route, someone will chime in that they reused this and that, that you don't need this and that, obtained a bolt-on EBC front rotor etc etc) you need :

WRR to WRX - Parts Required for a complete swap
WRX front brake caliper
WRX front master cylinder
WRX front brake line (so you don't have to bleed every swap)
Complete WRX front wheel assembly (spare spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRX front brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
Complete WRX rear wheel assembly (spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRX rear sprocket with mounting nuts 'n bolts
WRX rear brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
WRX Front fork guards (possible tire rubbing for WRX tire and WRR guards, also the WRX fork guard routes the brake line nicely)
Can re-use the WRR rear brake disc/rotor or better yet have a rear brake disc/rotor attached to the rear wheel

WRX to WRR - Parts Required for a complete swap
WRR front brake caliper
WRR front master cylinder
WRR front brake line (so you don't have to bleed every swap)
Complete WRR front wheel assembly (spare spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRR front brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
Complete WRR rear wheel assembly (spacers/bearings help out greatly)
WRR rear sprocket with mounting nuts 'n bolts
WRR rear brake disc/rotor and mounting bolts
WRR Front fork guards (WRX fork guards might be too short, WRR guard routes the brake line nicely)
Can re-use the WRX rear brake disc/rotor or better yet have a rear brake disc/rotor attached to the rear wheel

Craigq, thank you very much. Looks like I have all the parts (with exception of the WRR fork guards, which I might just skip, we'll see). Thank you. You can't imagine how confusing this can be when you can't just walk to the garage and look at the bike, especially with all the heresay that goes on.
Back to top Go down
mwgak

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySun May 15, 2011 2:33 am

I did not need the WRR front fork guards for my swap. Little more line around the hub and a little less over the top of the fork, but not too much slack to get into the spokes and enough slack to handle full fork extension. Definitely get the rotors and sprockets (unless you are not planning to do the swap often)

One other minor thing...the X kickstand is a bit short for the R wheelset...you just have to be careful, especially in the dirt.

Last edited by mwgak on Mon May 16, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:10 am

Check with Trav72...he changes back and forth every week, twice a week. said he has the swap down to about 20 minutes.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) EmptyTue May 17, 2011 1:13 pm

you dont need the WRR fork guard, I ran my WRX fork guards and brake line clamp works just fine when i switched over to dirt wheels thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)   Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap) Empty

Back to top Go down

Well crap did I screw up (R and X wheel/brake swap)
Page 1 of 1