Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?

Go down 
+4
f3joel
SheWolf
skierd
addikted2boost
8 posters
AuthorMessage
addikted2boost

addikted2boost

why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? Empty
PostSubject: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 pm

what is the differences in the engines
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Everything.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:19 pm

poser2 Yeah, that's about it in a nutshell. The YZ is a race bike, the WR can give it a damned good try. Very happy

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:22 pm

the difference in valve checks almost every other ride and 26,600 miles
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost

addikted2boost

PostSubject: ohh   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:49 pm

ok i thought it might have to do with the valve checks but wasnt sure does anyone ride the 250f if so how does it compare in a straight line race with the wr?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:38 am

In a straight line, 5000 mile race, the WR250R will win every single time...

The two bikes have totally different engines, frames, weights, etc. For two totally different purposes. Racing the two to try and discern some advantage is pretty much pointless.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:37 am

Basically, it has to do with meeting EPA regulations and long term reliability.
The YZ engine is physically smaller, vibrates a bit more, has a much lighter crankshaft and flywheel for much quicker revs, and has a cylinder head that is capable of making more power, all at the expense of how long the engine parts will last, given equal usage.
A WR-250X, even after having the mods done that most end-up doing to them, still falls flat on it's face on the top-end compared to the YZ-250F.

A WR-250X (or WR-250R), when stock, feels like a slow-revving snail compared to the YZ-250F.
That's because it is, straight off the showroom floor.
It has to meet EPA regulations for exhause emissions, noise, and is loaded down with parts to meet DOT regulations, not to mention parts to help prevent ambulance-chaser-lawyer lawsuits (like the side stand switch).
Also, the Yamaha factory would have a hard time producing a 250cc rocketship that still could have a chance of going many, many miles before an engine service were needed.
The WR-250X is, after all is said and done, still classified as a street bike, and I think a lot of riders expect lots of miles out of their street bikes before an engine service is needed.

A YZ-250F is not compliant with such strict EPA regulations.
That's the way it has to be if it's going to be competetive with the Honda CR-F250Rs, Kawasaki KX-250Fs, and Suzuki RM-Z250s on the race track.
Would you want to buy a motocross bike that's a snail compared to the competition?
So, compared to a WR-250X, it's a lot lighter, a lot more powerful, revs much quicker, and is much louder.
This is before you get into the differences in the chassis between the two.

The trade-off is that, because it's built lighter yet more powerful and quicker revving and, comparatively, a bare-bones and having just what's needed engine, and, maybe most important of all, Yamaha Motor Co. knows the kind of usage they'll see, it will more than likely need to be disassembled for an overhaul before the WR-250R.

This is assumed, of course, the WR-250X is ridden as most riders ride their street bikes and dual-purpose bikes.
I believe that if you were to give the bike to an AMA rider and say, "Go have a ball with it.", I doubt you'd get tens of thousands of miles out of the engine before it needed a teardown, too.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: cycle world   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySun May 01, 2011 8:43 am

Cycle World has an article on the wr/r with the big bore kit. Kind of interesting I thought but still low key for this special bike. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? EmptySat May 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I got the R first then I picked up a WRF this yr and I'm turning my WRR into a WRX. Not say`n the R is bad but I really love the F and all the power I got out of it after I YZed it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?   why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x? Empty

Back to top Go down

why does a yz250f have way more hp than the wr250x?
Page 1 of 1