Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Impact rig?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyMon May 04, 2009 2:00 pm

I was wondering about this. Am i crazy for wanting to use my Thor impact rig as my jacket for a while on the road? I have a feeling the plastic will be too soft for asphalt but i'm not sure. Any thoughts?
amazon < or is this guy me?
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyMon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Don't know what that is.

Yamwow has a nice looking getup
I think I'll be going with the Axo pressure suite.
Back to top Go down

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyMon May 04, 2009 2:24 pm

inspector wrote:
Don't know what that is.

oops. Forgot to put a link to what the rig is.

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/thor-impact-rig/

The one thing i didn't like about the Axo suit is that it zips up the middle. Splits the armor in the front.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:26 pm

It may only last for one good fall, but that is better than not wearing it! It's kinda like textile jackets VS leather.
Textile is only good for one crash, then generally needs replaced.
Back to top Go down
INSTIGATOR

INSTIGATOR

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:48 pm

I wear it with just a jersey for local hooliganism. But if I know I'll be doing any highway, I'll wear my A* leather jacket.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:08 pm

inspector wrote:
Don't know what that is.

Impact rig? Rockgardn

Impact rig? Rockgardn1

This is the RockGardn Flak Jacket. I know Atomicmoto.com has the AXO suit for $99 http://www.atomic-moto.com/servlet/StoreFront

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? EmptyTue May 05, 2009 9:24 am

Ride2live wrote:
I was wondering about this. Am i crazy for wanting to use my Thor impact rig as my jacket for a while on the road? I have a feeling the plastic will be too soft for asphalt but i'm not sure. Any thoughts?
amazon < or is this guy me?

IMO no. Too many holes where you can hit the pavement and get major road rash. The material holding the armor together was probably not designed to slide on asphalt at riding speeds and hold together.

At a minimum, you'll want a thick mesh or 500 denier or heavier textile jacket over the armor to provide abrasion protection.

IMO (and I'm no longer a poor college student), anyone looking to armor should look exclusively at CE-rated armor like the A* Bionic jacket (shown in another thread). You can probably find something similar on closeout for a little less money. The CE rating means that the jacket has been tested and proven to absorb a certain amount of impact energy. This isn't so important with roost but it is very important when you hit the ground at 20 or 50 mph. You have no idea how protective (or not) a piece of plastic with some EVA foam under it for comfort will be.

10 years ago CE ratings were rare and expensive. Now CE-rated armor is found in street jackets under $100, so there is less and less reason NOT to wear it. You can equip yourself with a complete head to toe with decent gear for under $500 these days. If we're all buying $5000 motorcycles, isn't that a reasonable expense (especially compared to a trip to the emergency room)?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Impact rig? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact rig?   Impact rig? Empty

Back to top Go down

Impact rig?
Page 1 of 1