Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

air box mods

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mucker

mucker

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: air box mods   air box mods EmptySat May 28, 2011 1:23 am

I've seen some modded snorkels/intakes. Some taking good advantage , as to whats there.
To me, fabricating the entire intake piece, out of aluminum, whatever the shape, seems easy enough.
Has anyone, at least, drawn the perfect intake fitting. Keeping in mind shedding water and mud and crap.
I would prefer a pre-filter type set up...not sure of the material yet, tho some ideas. Water being the big killer.
Diverting water inside the air box, as a last resort would, be great as well.
The big opening should be easy...just shedding that water well, remains.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: air box mods   air box mods EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:39 am

That would be a worthy project for sure! I'd be very interested to see how you do this. There isn't a lot of room under there, but hey, that's what fabricating new things is all about. Challenge! lurk

mucker

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: air box mods   air box mods EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:52 pm

it would be tough to beat the factory snorkel, gutted out.
I'm thinkin an A frame with pre-filters...single weave nylon, like appliance style a/c's.
Easy enuff to build...but won't shed water like the factory shape.
If it doesn't work good in muck...why bother...i suppose.
...starting to look like gutting the factory snorkle...
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: air box mods   air box mods EmptySun May 29, 2011 11:48 am

I'm very interested in this project. I too would like to open up the airbox without drilling holes everywhere along with keeping water out of the airbox as much as possible. A trick factory finish would be especially satisfying too. Aluminum seems to be the best material for this although I have considered thermo-forming plastic somehow but haven't done a lot of research there.

Keep us posted. I'm subscribed to this one...
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: air box mods   air box mods EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, I got to removin the flapper...disconnected it. Plugged the vacuum hose.
Not happy with gluin it down, I tested removing it.
I inserted a large flat screwdriver 14", under the flap, under the pivot point. Like a wedge, as if to pry the flapper up and out, i tapped it lightly (8oz hammer).
Then I tapped it firmly...well...the whole inner snorkel, incl. flapper just popped off.
At first I thought shit...then I remembered reading about it somewhere...then I realized a dude on TT did the same thing...eventually.
Anywho...what happened...the inner snorkel is not sealed like the top, so when the plastic rivets hit their point they snapped all at once, it seemed , with a pop. All at once, the inner snorkel and flapper fell free, inside the air box. Just like new parts waiting to be assembled.
The top looks the same, RTV'd in place, all rivets look good, sealed. Looks factory. After a good wiggle test...its on there real good. Probably difficult to remove.
At this point, I feel I could easily , just, re-install the inner-snorkel and damper, using the rivet points already there...if I wanted to.
Right now, the air box is opened fairly decent, considering. And could be put back to factory with minimal repair.

Did I mention OOPS!.

To me, it seems like a 2 minute air box mod, that is reverseable, flapper included.
Heck, with the right fastener you could just pop it on for mud day.
You loose some water deflection...but still have the entire outer snorkel.

...any comments

Back to top Go down
combo

combo

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: air box mods   air box mods EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 am

With my airbox mod we cut all we could out of it with a razor and mini hacksaw but still keeping the benefits of the scoop design, some silicone glue seals it back in nice thumb

air box mods DSC02557
air box mods DSC02560
air box mods DSC02563
air box mods DSC02564
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

air box mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: air box mods   air box mods Empty

Back to top Go down

air box mods
Page 1 of 1