Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

inner tubes - what's good & bad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

inner tubes - what's good & bad Empty
PostSubject: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyTue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm

So I am thinking of going to a 150/60R17 on the rear. Will the stock tube work or would you go with a different size? What brand tubes are you guys using? Are there good ones and bad ones, or is a tube a tube?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:42 pm

Good thread!

I got my Conti SMs on the weekend and I've been scratching my head since. They're the 150/60s. Comparing them they are a bit wider but also lower. I put a 5-5.3 tube in the tire just to size it out and it seemed a bit narrow.

As for brands, I've used many different ones and the only failures thus far have been from foreign objects (screws), extreme age (miscalculated and had over 17k), or trying to put too big a tube in for the tire (created folds which wore). I wouldn't blame the tube brand on any of that.

I'm not sure what to try. That's what I know thus far. Looking forward to other responses.
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyThu May 07, 2009 12:31 am

I was told that a slightly small inner tube is a lot better than a slightly big tube, for the exact reason that Zed mentioned.

FWIW I have to go get a new inner tube tomorrow cause I pulled a 2 inch nail out of my back tire this afternoon. cripple
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyThu May 07, 2009 12:48 am

I hate it when that happens. Nails in the wrong places can really ruin your day!
dddog
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyThu May 07, 2009 10:44 am

Sure can. I had to "phone a friend" to get the bike home. As it turns out pushing a 300 lb bike with a flat tire is a lot hard then you'd think. puke

Apparently the dirt around a construction zone is full of nails and other sharp crap. dddog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:29 pm

hey mawkey go to motorcycle superstore.com and go to metzeler tubes , i got the type A and type B for 17" rims, dutch nice tubes i thought.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Yamahawk, what size tire did you buy that tube for?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyMon May 11, 2009 12:21 am

Finally changed to the Contiforce SMs today. Unfortunately a #10 wood screw in the old rear tire destroyed the stock tube so I couldn't try it. Looking at it though I do thing the stock size would be fine. I couldn't get another tube, so I used the 5.00/5.30 that I had on had. It's a little on the small side for the 150/60 but the tire seated. I want to try a 5.50/6.00 but hey, it's the first motard night of the season on Monday, I need something. We'll see how it goes.

I'll report back on how the small tube makes out and a review on the Contis. So far the test ride was good.
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyMon May 11, 2009 2:43 pm

I re-used the original stock tubes in a pair of Distanzias. The stock tubes list sizes on them and will fit no problem.

The stock tubes looked absolutely brand new. Of course, I've never ridden on a pair of tires (track days included!) that wore out in 2000 miles.

Next question -- anyone used inner tube Slime? I'm thinking I won't bother but breaking the bead the tire was a pain in a$$. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:20 pm

mawk i got the 120/60/17 front and the 150/60/17 rear. contiforce hypersports road attacks
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:56 am

Well, the 5.00/5.30 rear tube on the 150/60 tire held up for 100km of hot laps on the kart track tonight. So I guess it's OK and the stock one should be also.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad EmptyTue May 12, 2009 6:53 am

Thanks for the info guys. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: inner tubes - what's good & bad   inner tubes - what's good & bad Empty

Back to top Go down

inner tubes - what's good & bad
Page 1 of 1