Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?

Go down 
+8
G-MAN
Arkmage
skierd
Coop
alansz400
freetors
motokid
zone47
12 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? Empty
PostSubject: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:24 am

It time for my first oil change ... I guess I can just go to Yamaha and pay $12 or whatever they charge, but was hoping to find them cheaper somewhere else. dddog
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

If you ever find it convenient to have a Yamaha dealership close by, it's not a bad thing to throw them some cash every now and then.

I forget what I paid for the filter I bought there last, but it was genuine Yamaha filter.

For little stuff like that I'll use dealership.

Call them and ask for price.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
freetors

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:51 pm

I buy HiFlo filters from Bikebandit by the box. They're like 3 bucks each
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 8:42 am

I use these $3.99 each. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/174/735/6965/15040/Tusk-First-Line-Oil-Filter
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 8:46 am

alansz400 wrote:
I use these $3.99 each. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/174/735/6965/15040/Tusk-First-Line-Oil-Filter

I have one here so I can do the 600 mile oil change this weekend. Looks decent.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 8:57 am

about $7.00 for oem Yamaha filter <-- clicky

Just a quick thought...if you believe in "you get what you pay for"....and you wouldn't search for the cheapest brain surgeon to perform surgery on your own child or mother, spending a tiny bit extra on a Yamaha oil filter doesn't seem too extravagant or wasteful.

The oil filter is last line of defense ..... is cheaper best?

hide hide hide

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 11:55 am

+1 for the oem oil filter. Especially since most of you only need to change the oil and filter together once or twice a year, pay a little extra for the actual specified part.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:40 pm

I watch out for sales. Recently bought 5 K&N oil filters and some new o-rings so I'm good for a while. On sale the K&N filters were $5.99 i think. Normal price is like $7.99
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:57 pm

+1

alansz400 wrote:
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks!! I have some on the way! thumb
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I have been riding 32 years and have owned A LOT of bikes in that time. I seldom, if ever, use OEM parts for things like oil filters. A question for you guys who are preaching use OEM because it's what specified; do you only use OEM air filters, chains, sprockets, brake pads, etc? I am not being a dick, I am honestly curious.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Coop wrote:
I have been riding 32 years and have owned A LOT of bikes in that time. I seldom, if ever, use OEM parts for things like oil filters. A question for you guys who are preaching use OEM because it's what specified; do you only use OEM air filters, chains, sprockets, brake pads, etc? I am not being a dick, I am honestly curious.

For oil filters there is some reasonable excuses to use OEM. Where the after market parts you listed have potential performance gains, there aren't really any with an aftermarket oil filter.

I guess if you believe the "independent test data" one filter may offer better filtration than the next, but the OEM certainly meets the requirements to have long engine life. It's hard to say that for certain of an after market filter.

In all honesty though, I've seen more bikes destroyed from improper air filter maintenance/installation than anything oil or oil filter related.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm

+1

I've been doing my own oil changes on cars and bikes for over 30 years too.... used OEM filters, and aftermarket (both cheap aftermarket ones, and expensive ones like the K&N). I've never had an engine failure caused by an oil filter, or oil.

And it's worth noting that the quality of engine oil these days is a thousand times better than the oil they made back when I was a kid. The crappy oil they sold back then wasn't much better for an engine than Mazola corn oil. Even today's cheapest brands of oil are far superior. With this in mind, I don't think anyone should be afraid to use some cheapo $3 filter (assuming oil and filter are changed at normal intervals).

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 am

Coop wrote:

More or less... yes. I'm ok using a unifilter or a twin air or a notoil air filter because they've been proven over the years and are consistent in their filtration performance with OEM or better. Notice I didn't say K&N... I only use D.I.D. or RK chains and sunstar or jt steel sprockets, all of whom are oem suppliers, although this time I'm using a supersprox rear. Replaced my worn stock brake pads with oem as well. Replace bolts I've lost or broken with oem or better grade too. The only things that have given me trouble on this bike are aftermarket accessories.

My main problem with aftermarket oil filters is the chance they aren't made to the same filtering spec, blow out specs, etc as factory and a lack of consistency between the various batches or suppliers for that filter and filter material. There are only a few companies that actually make filters, the rest are just repackaged and relabeled. Id be a lot happier if I knew who makes oem and hiflows... and see an actual comparison... but stock works, I know it works, and if I ever pop the motor its one less thing for Yamaha to point at and blame me. At least through the end of january when my warranty expires lol.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 am

Good stuff. I don't have a warranty on this bike so if anything happens to the engine it is all on me. I should be doing oil changes around every month and a half or so with as many miles as I am racking up since it is now my only transportation. I think the next change I will try OEM and compare it, visually at least, to the Tusk I used on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
G-MAN

G-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 am

I use NAPA PS7933 just because the store is close, it is a Wix filter. The Wix number is 57933. Wix is a quality filter. I would beware of using the cheapest filter you can find. OEM is always a good choice but in my case there is no dealer close by. There is my 2 cents, for what it's worth. thumb
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:30 pm

I've had good luck with the Hiflo HF141 filters. Solid built filter with lots of pleats & decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140563152627?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Back to top Go down
Rabs

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Have you thought about using a reusable filter? They're really worth the money in my mind. There's some on Ebay pretty cheap
Back to top Go down
old_crow

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 pm

motokid wrote:
about $7.00 for oem Yamaha filter <-- clicky

$7 for the filter and $20 shipping? poser2 No thanks.

I was able to get hiflow for $8 at a local shop and felt ripped off, but I really don't know shit about bikes so I'm no authority. I know if I paid $8 for a paper car filter I'd feel ripped off and this one is half the size of a car's filter.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am

old_crow wrote:
$7 for the filter and $20 shipping? poser2 No thanks.
Some of the online "30% off" OEM dealers make that a little less than $5/filter. Yes, there's still shipping on top of that (about $15 last time I ordered online), but I buy them ten at a time, it's the Costco mentality and I change oil about every thousand miles, roughly. I like knowing for a fact there's a new filter on the shelf and in the toolbox, anytime I want to do a change. So that puts the cost of a Yamaha filter at around $6.50. Not so bad, no?

If the local dealer would sell them for anything remotely near $7, I'd patronize him. But apparently, the Yamaha filters he sells must use a gold/platinum fabric filter mesh, given what they want for them...

Quote :
I know if I paid $8 for a paper car filter I'd feel ripped off and this one is half the size of a car's filter.
If size versus cost determines the value, we all got badly ripped off when you look at what we paid for our little bikes...

When an engine like this runs just over one litre of oil for both the engine and clutch, and an expectation that lots of dirt riders are going to be slipping the clutch like crazy... that little filter better be doing some good stuff. Given how bulletproof this engine is proving itself to be, the oil filtration system seems to be working quite well, despite the fact you can close your hand around it.

Oil and filter changes and air filter cleaning and maintenance are about the cheapest means we have available for extending engine life. A filter and a litre and a half of Rotella from Wal-Mart won't break any rider's weekly budget, and frequently washing your air filter costs you just a bit of time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?   Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where is a good place to buy oil filters (for a good price)?
Page 1 of 1