Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Holy crap - aerodynamics

Go down 
+4
motokid
kjharn
SheWolf
WRXR
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXR

WRXR

Holy crap - aerodynamics Empty
PostSubject: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 am

Went the first time for a ride on the highway and noticed that I have aerodynamics as good as an Ikea wardrobe. At 120kmh / 75 mph it felt like someone is constantly trying to push me off the seat. Oncoming Semis make it worse, they gave me a punch in the belly. Windshields look stupid but would probably improve the situation. Glad it wasn't windy today, happens we have wind gusts here up to 120kmh.
I am 6'3" that prolly makes it even worse, too.

I definitely enjoy trail riding more and try to avoid the HW. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:26 am

Playing road tag with semis/logging trucks is a hoot. I see one coming and I shove my elbows out, head down, and let er rip. I don't get bounced around too bad. Crosswinds are funny; my bike has a lean to it while I am still upright. poser2

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:17 pm

This thing rides like a Mercedes on the high-way compared to my old KLR. That sucker got pushed around on the slab wayyyy more. I'm nice and stable on the WR, even in strong winds.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Seriously? Before purchasing the WR I was almost going to buy a KLR. Thought it was suited more for Highway driving.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 pm

If you're sitting bolt upright on the seat, with a mx style helmet - yeah you're going to get blown around a bit.

Makes perfect sense. Stick your hand out the window of your car when going 65mph and turn your palm into the wind.

Use the tuck a little if you need to.

I've been 84mph with MX helmet on and I have to crouch forward and tuck in as best I can.

Your body is a sail working against you.

Make it as small as possible, or suffer the consequences.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm

kjharn wrote:
This thing rides like a Mercedes on the high-way compared to my old KLR. That sucker got pushed around on the slab wayyyy more. I'm nice and stable on the WR, even in strong winds.

WRXR wrote:
Seriously? Before purchasing the WR I was almost going to buy a KLR. Thought it was suited more for Highway driving.

I'd say it depends on a lot of factors. Any dual sport will have you blown around more than - say - a full on touring bike. However, I have both a WR and a KLR and I'd choose the KLR on the highway any day (I have Very happy a lot Very happy the KLR has over 60,000km on it & I bought it new!)
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 am

If I'm doing a highway stint I tuck right down. I usually pull my left arm in and rest my hand on the crossbar, and my helmet on my hand. I've topped the bike out doing this and the speedometer read 96! I also wear a full face helmet to combat the bugs...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 12:34 am

pbnut wrote:
If I'm doing a highway stint I tuck right down. I usually pull my left arm in and rest my hand on the crossbar, and my helmet on my hand. I've topped the bike out doing this and the speedometer read 96!
If you can bounce the bike off the rev limiter in 6th without a steep hill in front of you, you're a better man than me.

And with an indicated 96 mph, I suspect you're a candidate for purchasing a 12 o'clock labs speedo healer.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Actually my bike is stock, performance wise. My only mods are the flapper thing removal, AIS removal, and SS brake lines. Aside from that I've removed stock parts here and there that I don't need (rear caliper cover, helmet lock, tool kit, etc.).

I wasn't bouncing off the limiter, but it would not go any faster (have to assume it's the aerodynamics). I was on a VERY long and flat road too. We've got too many of those up here...
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:11 pm

I have a windscreen for my WR. With the screen mounted I went 85 MPH indicated with plenty of throttle left, although the handling at that speed was getting to be "interesting". Without the screen, the bike struggles at 70- 75 MPH. It may go a little faster but the horsepower is fighting the wind resistance to a draw at about those speeds. Obviously, the wind resistance of the pilot is the big drawback here. The WR is out of its element on the highway unless you can travel at 65 MPH or so and/or accept mounting a windscreen. This has been covered ad nauseum by many others.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Any pics of the windscreen?
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap - aerodynamics   Holy crap - aerodynamics Empty

Back to top Go down

Holy crap - aerodynamics
Page 1 of 1